Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
George Spelvin 254
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70481
biomed161061
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453041
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47779
pyramider46370
bambino40447
CryptKicker37108
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 08-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
smallone
BANNED

Encounters: 8
Default Autism and Aspergers

Do you know anyone with this? Do you have it? Whats your opinion on this subject?

As for me, Im a man in his 30s. My mother, who lives several states away, is always whining and bitching at me that I have this and need medicine/therapy whatever.

So, yeah, post your opinions and experiences.
smallone is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:30 AM   #2
awl4knot
Valued Poster

Encounters: 71

If you want a diagnosis from this crowd you are asking for trouble. These conditions can only be diagnosed by highly trained psychologists and usually during childhood. Maybe you should be looking at reputable websites dealing with mental health and child development rather than here but a better resource would be your doctor.

But I will give you these anecdotal observations. The young men and child that I know who have Asperger's are intellectually and academically advanced, all on the verge of brilliance. But socially they are a bit stilted and the impression is one of shyness. One young man seems sort of "Spockish" and humorousless but polite and gentle. But behavioral issues can arise during childhood. My point is that Asperger's is treatable and that it doesn't have to keep you from a full and wonderful life.

If you have social adjustment issues at work or in relationships maybe you should see a psychologist or licensed clinical social worker who can assess you and offer help.
awl4knot is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
12blue4u
Valued Poster

Encounters: 72

Autism today is probably where dementia was 20 years ago. There are at least 4 clinically diagnosed types of dementia of which Alzheimer's is only one.
My son is on the autism spectrum. Yes one needs to go to a professional for evaluation. And even then it should be one that looks into adult vs child diagnosis. We went thru a number of Doctors before we found the correct one for my son.
As for Asbergers the term is according to our Dr is being removed from use. It is too hard and narrow a definition to apply anymore.
It unfortunately has become the Alzheimer's buzz word for autism. What they now prefer is someone who is on the Autism spectrum.
See a professional or quit listening to your Mom.
Good luck.
12blue4u is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Encounters: 10

There is nothing wrong in being different. The psych world has such a broad definition for every thing. Look at depression, if one looks at the symptoms everyone in the world is clinically depressed. Autism is becoming another catch all term. Socially distant people are all autistic. What are your mom's credentials?
pyramider is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
smallone
BANNED

Encounters: 8

In the initial post, I asked for other's opinions and personal experiences. Not a diagnosis for myself. I will see a doctor on the 26th and will report that info later.

Thanks for your stories everyone! Keep em coming!
smallone is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
instfixer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

Dr. Temple Grandin wrote a book how she overcame autism.
If anything , you are a very high functional person with Asperger
Beware of people that want to put you down
instfixer is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
FormerSanta
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallone View Post
...post your opinions and experiences.
I was kicked out of a private kindergarten and my parents were refunded the tuition they had paid. The principal told them I was "retarded" and would need "constant care for his entire life." He gave them this advice while I was sitting right there in the room, fully comprehending everything he was saying.

I remember reflecting on those words while I was composing my valedictory speech for high school graduation. Then I went off to a high-end (not Ivy League, but close) university on a full-ride academic scholarship.

So, yeah, I have a little experience being "on the autism spectrum". (The poster above is correct; "Aspberger's" is being phased out.)

How one deals with it over one's life is something I'm not qualified to address; I did so quite poorly. In fact, my mother waited until I was in my 40s to confess to me that she and my father had discussed my social interaction problems many times. At one point, they both agreed that I needed to get laid more than any 16-year-old they'd ever seen in their lives.

If only they had told me that when I was 16...
FormerSanta is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
awl4knot
Valued Poster

Encounters: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramider View Post
There is nothing wrong in being different. The psych world has such a broad definition for every thing. Look at depression, if one looks at the symptoms everyone in the world is clinically depressed. Autism is becoming another catch all term. Socially distant people are all autistic. What are your mom's credentials?
This misses and ignores the point. Many people claim to be shy and many are a bit different (eccentric) but their problems are not pathological. Children or adults with autism have real, definable deficits that inhabit their daily life functions, school and work and the medical and mental health professionals provide real services that help the patient and their families deal with these deficits and the disruptions they cause. And no, not everyone is clinically depressed; having a bad day or a rough patch is not clinical depression.
awl4knot is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women