Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > Coed Discussions - Dallas
Coed Discussions - Dallas Both male and female members can mingle and interact here. Let's keep these discussions on-topic, thought-provoking, and more importantly...entertaining!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70380
biomed160286
Yssup Rider59844
gman4452863
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47424
pyramider46370
bambino40274
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35144
Mojojo33117

Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
notsomuch
Valued Poster

Encounters: 32
Default Is there any posting etiquette here?

OK. I have no idea as to where this should have been posted, or maybe even if it should have been posted at all, but I'm wondering so I figure I'll ask.

I realize in this day of texting, facebook, twitter, and on and on, that a lot of messages are exchanged by means of a ton of abbreviations and minimal capitalization and punctuation. I'm not suggesting that eccie has gone to that level, but I came across a post this morning that raised the question in my mind. Where do we draw the line, or do we?

I admit I'm kind of old school, and haven't gotten into a lot of that. It must be the teacher in me coming out. Anyway, I pulled a quote from that post and copied it below. I replaced the name that was used with *** to keep it discrete and remove anything personal. The entire post is in lower case and there is no punctuation or any clear distinction between sentences. To me, it's hard to read.

I have not mentioned the poster because it's not important and I'm really not meaning to be critical. I understand there is a time for brevity, but IMO this is a bit much. Just my two cents worth.

Here's the post:
i have seen this lady ******* i have been doing this for a long time and she told me about the horrible ad on eccie after i had been to see her 3 times so i got this account to tell all guys trying to find a nice young lady she is one to come to she is not with a pimp and even if she was he is never around to be seen she is actually one of the nicest and cleanest younger girls i have seen she is nineteen and for nineteen shes knows a lot about how to talk to people and she has a good attitude i always give her an extra donation of 50 more than regular and i really don't know why donations are low but she is just what a lot of you guys are looking for a kind of girl like that is hard to find and in person shes more beautiful then her photographs
notsomuch is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Lana Warren
Account Disabled

User ID: 2438
My ECCIE Reviews

Notsomuch,
This just happens to be my #1 pet peave! Granted, there are some posters that didn't get past the 3rd grade, but I would almost bet that the majority are just plain lazy!
Lana Warren is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Maybe the poster was attempting to set a record for the longest run on sentence?
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
dentonseek
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

The days of spelling, punctuation, and grammar are over. Anyone who has used Microsoft Word for the last decade has most likely started to lose their spelling abilities. You don't use it, you lose it.

Prepare for things to get worse with the advent of internet shorthand and smilies.
dentonseek is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
guest031012
Account Disabled

User ID: 2365
My ECCIE Reviews

I'm a grammar and spelling Nazi. DRIVES ME CRAZY when people do not know the difference between "you're" or "your" or "they're" "their" and "there"

that was one hell of a run on sentence though...wow!
and in the poster's case, he does not know the difference between then/than
UGH!!!
guest031012 is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
oldmarine
Valued Poster

Encounters: 50

You said it well Lana. I really hate messages with no punctuation or capitalization. You spend a lot of time just figuring out where the sentence breaks are and trying to make sense of the long stream of words. And Jamie, don't get me started on the bad grammar.
oldmarine is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
MaxiMilyen
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 823
My ECCIE Reviews

I concur!
MaxiMilyen is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Gonzo DFW
Valued Poster

Encounters: 43

Ah, it was a dark and stormy night...
Gonzo DFW is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
pmdelites
consulting for delites

Encounters: 122

for most of my informal internet exchanges, i generally use lower case letters. i do punctuate appropriately and use bolding or italics for emphasis. plus, i double check my spelling, grammar, and content [often editing the post after i make it; sometimes errors stand out when viewing in display rather than edit mode].

If I need to write a more formal exchange or document, I do capitalize appropriately.

so, while the quoted posted does have a knack for lower cased and run-on sentences [reminds me of some foreign languages where there aren't ANY punctuation marks], please don't paint all us lower casers with the same color. thanks!
pmdelites is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
notsomuch
Valued Poster

Jamie - I really am an old (former) teacher and I couldn't agree with you more. I spend way too much time looking at ads on BP and seriously considered placing my own ad to offer my help (free of charge) to those who may be somewhat challenged in that area. Of course, I realize that a lot of those ads try to incorporate cutesy little phrases and creative spelling, but I don't mind that so much. However, as you mentioned, words like 'your' versus 'you're', 'their' versus 'there' and so on just drive me nuts.

PMDELITES - I hope I didn't give the impression that I put all people in a category just becasuse of a particular trait. I fully understand that sometimes there are reasons for lower case, etc., but you made it clear, by example, that you do know the difference and even if using lowercase, you're using punctuation, correct spelling, word usage, and grammar.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
txcwby6
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Unfortunately, punctuation, grammar and proper English have faded into the background as email, texting, sexting and a host of other abbreviated communication methods sweep the younger generation. I can forgive children and teens, it's their parents' fault for not insisting they learn to speak and write appropriately. But old(er) folks that know better but have adopted these insane practices are the worst. Once again, ThIS IS mY PeT PeeVE On HeAR WheN PeEpul PosT A MessAuGE LiEk ThIS AnD ThinK ITS KooL!
txcwby6 is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
OldGrump
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

I think texting has destroyed many attempts to punctuate or capitalize. However, if that post was keyed from a PDA, someone is in need of a finger massage.
OldGrump is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

I am a terrible speller. But with spell check available there is no real excuse for the sad state of today's written communication. I was truly amazed when I joined the company I am with now, my first business letter drew compliments from several managers at HQ. A simple business letter written in the old school style has become an aw inspiring feat today. . . how very sad.

Regards,
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
ferdburf
Valued Poster

Encounters: 27

For you folks with kiddos still in school, check out the "instructions" that come home with kiddos at the beginning of the school year, or look at the school "handbook." I've never seen so many misspelled words and incorrect grammar in my life!

It's getting to the point I just come here to look at peekchurs!
ferdburf is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
notsomuch
Valued Poster

Roger that, ferdbuf!!! I don't have kids in school, but I do have grandkids and I'm not that far removed from having been an educator myself. I still get an email or other written communication from a school district from time to time, and I cringe every time because these people are supposed to be teaching our kids . . . OK. I'll shut up for now. Complaining doesn't seem to help anyway.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women