Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Main Discussion Forum - National
Main Discussion Forum - National General discussions, but not limited to your local scene. (For staff assistance, contact your local moderator, or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff forum in each city)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70385
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47437
pyramider46370
bambino40287
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35162
Mojojo33117

Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
Exclamation Best Travel Advice

We have some ladies on the board who travel extensively as well as some men.

What do you think is some of the best travel advice?

A supervisor I used to have once said that the mistake most people make in traveling is taking too many clothes and not enough money.

I found a lot of wisdom in that nugget of information.

What other tips do you folks have for the most efficient and enjoyable travel experience?

Fast Gunn is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
fortwortholdguy
BANNED

Encounters: 20
My ECCIE Reviews

Never leave any valuables, money, especially your laptop in your hotel room, even if you just go downstairs for a bite to eat...

When I lived up by Chicago I used to see lots of travelling ladies and heard many stories of items being pilfered out of their rooms that easily could have been taken with them on their short sojourns away from the room...
fortwortholdguy is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

Do not get a room at the end of the hall by the stairwell. Bad people use them. Good people do too but you get the idea.

Don't prop the door open to make an ice run.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn View Post
A supervisor I used to have once said that the mistake most people make in traveling is taking too many clothes and not enough money.

Travel light enough that you don't have to check luggage at the airport. Not only do you save time post flight, you have a lot more options when your flight is cancelled/delayed.

The money thing is kind of moot because you can get more out of the ATM, but take care to have plenty of one's & fives for tips and (importantly) so you can pay the taxi driver with exact change/what you wanna pay him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwortholdguy View Post
Never leave any valuables, money, especially your laptop in your hotel room,...
Buy a cable lock for your laptop so you can leave it in the room

Other:
*(find a place you like) & stay in the same hotel everytime.. Beyond the points/miles, the staff will know you & treat you well

*being nice usually goes further than being an ass with hotel/airline/restaurant staff

*if you don't mind eating at the bar (great when alone anyway), you can usually get into a lot of great restaurants with no wait

*if you are flying into a major metro & staying in the city, think about your expected car needs and see if you can AVOID renting a car. They are a pain in the ass at the airport, particularly to return when rushed. You can take a lot of cabs for the price of a car (not to mention parking). And you really don't want to be driving around in a city you don't know.

*don't pad your expense report (if applicable). That can get you fired! That doesn't mean you can have a nice meal (or even feel bad about it) or shouldn't expense eligible items, but don't lie.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
Travel light enough that you don't have to check luggage at the airport. Not only do you save time post flight, you have a lot more options when your flight is cancelled/delayed.

I travel for long periods of time...gone approx. 60 days at a time. I check through luggage when I fly. Also, some things that you want on the other end (Leatherman, sex toys, etc.) won't make it through the carryon screening process. I know checking luggage is a pain, but sometimes it's the only way to get some items to a destination.

The money thing is kind of moot because you can get more out of the ATM, but take care to have plenty of one's & fives for tips and (importantly) so you can pay the taxi driver with exact change/what you wanna pay him.

+1

+1. I've had one for years, and my computer has never been attacked.

Other:
*(find a place you like) & stay in the same hotel everytime.. Beyond the points/miles, the staff will know you & treat you well +1 ++

*being nice usually goes further than being an ass with hotel/airline/restaurant staff Agreed. But sometimes the staff is locked into their regulations. Recognize this.

*if you don't mind eating at the bar (great when alone anyway), you can usually get into a lot of great restaurants with no wait I do this a lot. Saves time effort and money.

*if you are flying into a major metro & staying in the city, think about your expected car needs and see if you can AVOID renting a car. They are a pain in the ass at the airport, particularly to return when rushed. You can take a lot of cabs for the price of a car (not to mention parking). And you really don't want to be driving around in a city you don't know. I take a lot of cabs. You have develop a system to make sure cabs arrive timely. I call well in advance of the need. I always tip heavily, and then try to get the same cabbie for all calls. If you have a disability (which I do) your employer is obligated to provide you with a reasonable accommodation to do your job.

*don't pad your expense report (if applicable). That can get you fired! That doesn't mean you can have a nice meal (or even feel bad about it) or shouldn't expense eligible items, but don't lie.
I'm gone from home and on the road 200-300 nights a year. Generally ATL has good comments, but see my elaboration above in blue. Just my .02.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
fortwortholdguy
BANNED

Encounters: 20
My ECCIE Reviews
Default ???

Quote:

Please elaborate sir...I guess I could google "laptop cable locks" but I would rather hear your explanation, and I have a trip planned later this month...

Thank you in advance...

FWOG
fortwortholdguy is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwortholdguy View Post
Please elaborate sir...I guess I could google "laptop cable locks" but I would rather hear your explanation, and I have a trip planned later this month...

Thank you in advance...

FWOG
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/bi...790+4291390930

here is an example...basically you attach to a desk or some other difficult to move object....much like you would lock up a bike...I think this one is $30...most every laptop has a slot on the side near the USB ports to attach to
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Cpalmson

Encounters: 98

Expect delays and plan appropriately. For example, if flying through a major hub airport, never try to make a connecting flight with less than 90 min between flights. Delta is notorious for providing travel plans that allow only 45 min layover in Atlanta. If you take that option, you will miss your connecting flight. If able, book connecting flights at smaller airports. Again with Delta, given a connection in Atlanta, Cincinnati or Memphis, select Cincy or Memphis.

Concur with the statement about traveling light. If able carry everything on. I know that might not be possible sometimes but for trips of 4 days or less, it can be easily done.

Be prepared when you get to the airport to go through security.
1-- Have all lose articles (keys, coins, cell phone, etc) packed into your carry on. This means not having to emptying your pockets at security.
2-- Have your ID and boarding pass out or readily accessible
3-- Have all you liquids and gels in the clear plastic bag ready to go. Don't have it packed away in your carry on. They have to be screened separately, so have it ready and pack when you get through security.
4-- Wear sandals, flip flops or have your shoes untied and ready to take off. Also, don't put your shoes in the bin. TSA requires shoes to be placed directly on the belt.
5-- Don't wear a big belt buckle. You'll have to take it off. Pack such items if you intend on taking them.
6-- Dress comfortably. If you can get away with it, wear sweats.
Cpalmson is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Guest012211-3
Account Disabled

User ID: 2676
My ECCIE Reviews

International travel: Photocopy the front page of your passport and leave it at home with a trusted friend. Also, leave your bank (phone number), CC company phone number with a friend in case yours is stolen and you need the info right away.

Don't exchange Money at the airport, or at those money exchange places on the street because they charge a very high fee. Find out what your bank charges for International ATM withdrawls. For European travel, I order Euros/Pounds from my bank before I leave, it's cheaper. OH, and no one uses traveler's checks anymore, lol.

Pack a small first aid kit. Everyone makes fun of me for this one, but trust me...you don't want to be in Budapest at midnight looking for a bandage, or Aspirin.

Get travel insurance! It covers you, and most property. Your travel agent can tell you more, and it's about $90.00 or less.

Learn to use and love public transportation!
Guest012211-3 is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/bi...790+4291390930

here is an example...basically you attach to a desk or some other difficult to move object....much like you would lock up a bike...I think this one is $30...most every laptop has a slot on the side near the USB ports to attach to
I have something similar to the third item in the list. If there is a hide-a-bed in the room, I attach it to the handle for the hide-a-bed. No one is going to take off with a couch down the hall. Or if there is a TV entertainment center, you can loop it through holes in the back. In any event, I've traveled with mine for about 7 or 8 years with no problem. Can someone get your computer if they really want it? Sure. But if you password protect the login, why would they want it? If you want, you can also purchase a tracking system over the 'net for double protection.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Preston View Post
International travel: Photocopy the front page of your passport and leave it at home with a trusted friend. Also, leave your bank (phone number), CC company phone number with a friend in case yours is stolen and you need the info right away.

Don't exchange Money at the airport, or at those money exchange places on the street because they charge a very high fee. Find out what your bank charges for International ATM withdrawls. For European travel, I order Euros/Pounds from my bank before I leave, it's cheaper. OH, and no one uses traveler's checks anymore, lol.

Pack a small first aid kit. Everyone makes fun of me for this one, but trust me...you don't want to be in Budapest at midnight looking for a bandage, or Aspirin.

Get travel insurance! It covers you, and most property. Your travel agent can tell you more, and it's about $90.00 or less.

Learn to use and love public transportation!
Good point, Nicole, I would only add these:
  1. Also keep a copy of your ID separately in your suitcase, hidden as much as possible. We had ID stolen while on vacation in Hawaii 2 days before leaving. The only thing that got us to the gate to leave Hawaii was those xerox copies of ID. It also helped us when we needed to fax credit card companies and banks so they could take the protective measures on stolen ID.
  2. When abroad, purchase most everything you can with your personal credit card. They give you the best exchange rate for the day.
  3. Check with your homeowner's insurance about upping the limit or adding on the travel. We did this a couple of years ago, and I think it cost about $15/year.
  4. Learn to use public transportation. In most of the world, it is better than here.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Guest012211-3
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Here's packing tip: If you have to check your bags, take two small ones and vary up your wardrobe. You don't want to walk around topless or pantless if one bag gets lost or delayed, LOL.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
Dasani
Account Disabled

User ID: 1567
Location: "Dallas/Ft. Worth" Call PM or email to book! Several Ladies available

Also do NOT put your house or car keys in your luggage...
I tryed that on a flight to Michigan. When the limo dropped me at the westin, I had the Bell-hop take my thing up.
All of a sudden no house or car keys were to be found. *shaking my head*
Dasani is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
Cpalmson

Encounters: 98

Another packing tip. Always pack a complete set of clothing (including undies) in your carry-on. That way if your checked luggage is lost or delayed you at least have clean set of clothes.

I disagree with the pack 2 bags for checked luggage. Airlines are raping people with checked baggage charges. Check as few bags as possible or fly on Southwest (or any other airline that doesn't have baggage fees).
Cpalmson is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Guest012211-3
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

I was talking about international travel for longer trips needing two bags. Especially if you have a connecting flight...they don't charge you extra for international, yet.