Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70423
biomed160612
Yssup Rider59951
gman4452936
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47573
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35403
Mojojo33117

Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54
Default B-bye Twinkie the Kid, Hello Ding Hao, revolutionary Student leader

Hostess has failed for dissolution and, like that, 18,000 people lose their jobs. Between carb counters and Michelle Obama's healthy school tyranny, they couldn't continue. Now the only thing to do is sell everything to China like GE did.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
markroxny
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

That's how the free market system works JD. If they stayed competitive, offered new healthier products they would still be around.

I'm sure you don't want the government to bail them out do you?
markroxny is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
AdventureAdams
Account Disabled

User ID: 35460
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
Hostess has failed for dissolution and, like that, 18,000 people lose their jobs. Between carb counters and Michelle Obama's healthy school tyranny, they couldn't continue. Now the only thing to do is sell everything to China like GE did.
You are delusional. I guess stubbornness makes you unable to read. Pick a link, any link! Read it and be informed- come back to me when you find something relating to Michelle Obama's commitment to provide kids with a healthier lifestyle and "carb- counting" is so 5 years ago man.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3175964.story
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16...g-union-fight/
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/11/...ill-liquidate/
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...tions.html.csp

Hostess is closing it's door because of the bakers strike and they are unable to sustain the company while the strike is going on and would not be able to give in to the demands of the union.

Hostess will probably be bought out by Kraft and production of your gluttonous and empty calorie ladden snack will continue to be produced.
AdventureAdams is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
trynagetlaid
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

If I'm reading the news reports correctly, they have only asked the bankruptcy court for permission to cease operations, and we don't know what the answer will be. And this is the second time they have been in bankruptcy. They have many competitors, and appear to have not been able to adjust their business model to changing times. It's probably a combination of paying their employees more than their competition does, poor management, and changing demographics. They have never offered gluten-free products like others. After all the dust has settled, most of the 18,000 employees affected will probably still have a paycheck; it might just have a different heading on it.
trynagetlaid is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
satexasguy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

get rid of the union workers and hire someone who appreciates a job. We cannot lose twinkies!
satexasguy is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
AdventureAdams
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

I'm really beginning to look at unions differently now, because of this strike now a whole bunch of people might lose their jobs. I thought unions where just supposed to fight for livable wages and human rights of employees but it just seems like bully mentality to cut of the life flow of a company and then expect to get paid more money.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Skylar how long do you think Interstate has been in trouble? A long time. We have another company in the area called the Italian-American Pasta Company IAPC that blames carb counting for many years of reduced income and a need to go into bankruptcy. Know what you know before you post.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
AdventureAdams
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Is there anything about carb-counting, Michelle Obama, or moving to china? I read instead of just pulling random shit about pasta companies. I am sure that if people's dietary changes ( the fact that people stop cramming this crappy food into their faces) was a main stressor they would have made it known.

Quote:
Hostess Brands said Wednesday that it will go into liquidation unless bakers striking in protest against a new contract imposed in bankruptcy court return to work by the end of the day Thursday.
"We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike," Hostess CEO Greg Rayburn said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...#ixzz2CPJr0DuU
From the Hostess Brands website: http://hostessbrands.com/media/HostessNews.aspx

Quote:
“We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike,” said Gregory F. Rayburn, the Company’s Chairman and CEO. “Therefore, if sufficient employees do not return to work by 5 p.m., EST, on Thursday to restore normal operations, we will be forced to immediately move to liquidate the entire Company, which will result in the loss of nearly 18,000 jobs. It is now up to Hostess’ BCTGM represented employees and Frank Hurt, their international president, to decide if they want to call off the strike and save this Company, or cause massive financial harm to thousands of employees and their families.”
Call me crazy but I'll just go with the actual company has made known.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Seedy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarCruzWantsYou View Post
I'm really beginning to look at unions differently now, because of this strike now a whole bunch of people might lose their jobs. I thought unions where just supposed to fight for livable wages and human rights of employees but it just seems like bully mentality to cut of the life flow of a company and then expect to get paid more money.
Skylar, unions had their place many years ago. But now a days the only thing they are good for is putting companies out of business, and shipping jobs overseas.

In 72,my freshman year of college, I was fortunate enough to get a part time job at the post office, worked between 25 to 35 hours a week. We made 7.20 an hour, back then that was SERIOUS money. The full timers hated us, you know why? Because we did more work in one hour, than they did in a whole shift. That was my introduction to labor unions, they are now worthless.
Seedy is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
ChoomCzar
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarCruzWantsYou View Post

!

where does union money go and why?
ChoomCzar is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Make twinkies healthy, and they are no longer twinkies.

You want healthy? They also made Wonder Bread. It helps build strong bodies 12 ways. Or have you forgotten.

Btw, there is no way the Bankruptcy Court will force Hostess to stay in business. This would be a good chance for Bain Capital to come in, keep the place open with non-union workers, and show the country how a company should be run. (For those of you who are comprehension challenged, that last sentence was sarcasm.)
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
Hostess has failed for dissolution and, like that, 18,000 people lose their jobs. Between carb counters and Michelle Obama's healthy school tyranny, they couldn't continue.
What's the problem?

If people change their eating habits in response to an obesity epidemic, I'm all in favor of it.

Who pays for all the diabetes treatments, heart disease, joint replacements, and other obesity-related health problems? Me and my taxes, that's who. And the two of us are not happy.

Whatever small benefit we get from the taxes on those jobs is dwarfed by the massive costs to society of treating the illnesses their products cause. And those 18,000 workers will get jobs working somewhere else.

The folks that have stopped eating Hostess products have not stopped eating altogether. They are eating healthier products from some other companies. And those other companies are now growing and hiring. So, Hostess's loss is somebody else's gain.

I can't wait until we develop nice, clean, fusion energy and put all of our coal miners out of work. The coal miners might be out of work, but the fusion energy companies will pick up the slack and hire workers to offset some of the displaced workers and give us clean energy to boot.

And since Michelle Obama doesn't actually have any power, how does she exercise tyranny over school lunches? By pointing out that school diets are bad? That's just stating the obvious.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

They won't be eating healthier. They'll be eating Little Debbie. Hmmm . . . Not a bad idea.

In this economy, how quickly do you think those 18,000 workers will find another job?
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
Sidewinder
Lifetime Premium Access

What's interesting is that the Teamsters Union voted to accept the management plan, but the Bakers Union refused. The Teamsters have asked the Bakers to hold a secret ballot on the matter, explaining that they've gone over the Hostess books in detail, and Hostess is NOT exaggerating about the seriousness of the situation. The financial issues are REAL, the Teamsters say, and this really is about the end of the company and the immediate loss of 18,000 jobs.

When the Teamsters side with Management, against a brother union, you KNOW they seriously worried about the downside if the deal isn't made.
Sidewinder is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
They won't be eating healthier. They'll be eating Little Debbie. Hmmm . . . Not a bad idea.
The premise of the original post was that calorie counting and Michelle Obama did them in. So, I think we have to accept the premise for arguments sake that they are eating healthier. Otherwise it makes no sense to stop eating Hostess and start eating Little Debbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
In this economy, how quickly do you think those 18,000 workers will find another job?
Not my concern.

In this economy, how quickly do you think we will reduce health care costs related to obesity? How quickly will my taxes be going up?

Some jobs you are better off losing if the industry that employs them creates more problems that it is worth.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women