Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70423
biomed160635
Yssup Rider59971
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47584
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35405
Mojojo33117
View Poll Results: Will McNair fire Kubiak?
Will Bob McNair fire Kubiak following the 2010 season? 22 56.41%
Will Kubiak return in 2011 as the Head Coach of the Houston Texans? 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Assuming that McNair will decide to keep Kubiak, I don't really have a problem with the decision. Yes, the Texans could have played better, the coaches could have coached better and the front office could have handled to administrative affairs better. But the same could have been said about the New Orleans Saints two years ago and look where they are today. The Texans have had numerous close games over the last two years. If (and this is a big 'IF') the players wearing the Texans uniform ever learn how to win a lions share of the close games, they will be a team to contend with.

I do not believe Kubiak is as bad of a Head Coach as many make him out to be. He can't make the plays, only the players can do that.His record is not much different than Belichek's record after 5 years as the Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns. As a result of that record, their front office fired Belichek and the Browns have struggled ever since As for Belichek, he went on to become arguably the NFL's best Head Coach of the past decade.

Hmmm, I wonder if the fans in Cleveland wish Belichek had never been fired!
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
69Mustang
Gaining Momentum

Will Kubiak be fired? No. Should he be fired? Yeah, like two years ago.
Fact is, the Texans should purge all but 3 or 4 defensive players and unless they get rid of Smithiak, that ain't gonna happen.
Pray for a labor/owner-shortened season!
bigtex, while you're right that Kubiak can't make the plays, he IS responsible for putting the players on the field to make the plays. Since A J is the only pre-Kubiak player left on the Texans, what does that say about Kubiak and his ability to put a winner on the field?
69Mustang is offline   Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
Seedy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

This is my bottom line on all pro sports, with the exception of a few, and I mean, few all these premadonas,get paid way too much money, to play a GAME that our kids and grandkids play. That alone should be a motivating factor to perform to the best of your ability. I've had jobs that were performance based, an busted my ass to do the best I could. These fucking people make more in one year than 50% or more, of americans make in a lifetime!!!! I follow pro sports now but not like 25 years ago, after all the strikes and bullshit. To be honest i'd much rather go see a good high school or better yet college game. The kids play withmore intensity. 34 years later I still have 2 season tickets on the 40 yl for Penn State, and go to at least 4 games a year, talk about intense,you haven't seen football untill you go to a good college game. They play with passion and intensity,and not the almighty dollar. Where are the good old days. Of johhny u, butkus, gale sayers ect, that played for the game? They did not play for the coaches they fucking played!!!! So winding down this rant, the players are more at fault than the coaches for their shitty performance this year.
Seedy is offline   Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #19
Guest030915
Account Disabled

Encounters: 26

I don't think a CBA should be a reason to keep a coach who has clearly failed. His record is a whopping 36-43, which equates to 46%. Now, with that said, you tell me where you would be able to produce a 46% success rate and keep your job. He failed and should have been gone at the end of last season but was given an extension.

I really don't care about the head coach being a class act. I do care about the fact that this supposed class act hasn't produced in the 5 years he's been here and he's being kept for a 6th. We have had 9 years of no playoffs in since the team came to town. Take a look at all the other coaches that were hired the same year as Kubiak. Sean Payton came to a team that was 3-13 the year previous and has taken them to the playoffs 3 times and won a Super Bowl. Mike McCarthy has been to the playoffs with Green Bay, even Brad Childress has sniffed the playoffs with the Vikings.

Kubiak has shown that he is a mediocre coach and plateaued at his best which was 9-7. I don't expect much more from him in the future.
Guest030915 is offline   Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamMan View Post
I don't expect much more from him in the future.
Chalk him up as one who promises not to be disappointed!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
carkido45
Valued Poster

Encounters: 57

Keep Kubiak one more year but fire who ever scouted Kareem Jackson the rookie was no where near NFL ready... other rookies selected after him did better.
First Cushing get's suspended, Connor Barwin has a season ending injury then Demeco Ryans get's a season ending injury then Duane Brown get's suspended and Mario Williams played with a sports hernia until he's out for the season and last but not least Andre Johnson played with a sprained ankle most of the season.
Hey I guess that's all Kubiak fault huh ?
The biggest mistake IMHO Kubiak made this year was choosing Kareem Jackson and then sticking by him and waiting for him to get better and play like a number one pick.
carkido45 is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #22
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by carkido45 View Post
Jackson and then sticking by him and waiting for him to get better and play like a number one pick.
I agree, Jackson was a huge disappointment but in Kubiak's defense by the time he realized that Jackson was not going to be a positive factor this year it was too late. The season was already lost! Hopefully, Kubiak sticking with him will yield positive dividends in the future. We shall see!

I recall years ago the Oilers drafted Chris Dishman and he was repeatedly burned during his rookie year. I recall the reaction being very similar to the Jackson reaction this year. That experiement worked out ok for the Oilers in that Dishman went on to become a Pro Bowl Cornerback. I suppose sometimes it takes a CB being burned a few times before they finally learn to play the position at the Professional level. Let's hope that will end up being the case with Jackson!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
JackMehoffer
Account Disabled

They asked a lot of Jackson to come in and handle arguably the toughest position in football to play! Injuries didn't help either! Jackson could still become a good player like Dishman did! It's frustrating because of how we've lost a lot of these games! Tipped Hell marys! Interceptions off receivers hands! Long pass plays in the final seconds! There's a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL! Even though the defense has been terrible this season we've been right there in most of these games we just can't finish and that's what has got everyone pissed and frustrated! We are better than our record! I say if Cowher wants to coach here McNair has gotta make a change! But as far as Gruden goes for whatever reason I don't get excited by him cuz even though he won a super bowl that first year in Tampa Bay he ran them into the ground! I'd say it's likely they'll keep Kubiak and hire Wade as the defensive coordinator!
JackMehoffer is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #24
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Football fans are fickle, especially as it relates to their favorite team. Everything is magnified in Houston because the Texans are the hometown team. I have followed pro football here in Houston since the Oilers first came into existence 1960. I suppose I have conditioned myself to not become overly disappointed when a season goes south. I have seen more losing seasons in Houston than I care to mention.

I am normally one of the last ones to call for the Head Coach's head when things are not going well. I finally reached the point that I felt it was necessary for Dom Capers to leave but it took me a long while to reach that point! More often than not, a coaching change turns out being an exercise in futilty. For every instance in which a Sean Payton comes in an turns around a franchise, there are several other newly hired coachs who fail to make the grade.

I agree with the others, if Cowher were willing to come to Houston, McNair should make the switch. But making a coaching change just for the sake of making a coaching change will more than likely set the organization even further back than wee are currently. If all we are going to get is another coordinator with no head coaching experience we might as well let Kubiak continue to grow with this job.

IMHO, we could certainly do much worse than Gary Kubiak!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
69Mustang
Gaining Momentum

bigtex,
As I understood your poll question, it was "will" rather than "should" Kubiak be fired. Clearly, Kubes is not going to be fired by McNair, who seems to have a man crush on him.
Personally, I've been in the "Fire Kubiak" faction for two years, but I will say that the Texans could do worse than Kubiak. I only watched a handfull of games during the Capers/Carr era because that team was just so BORING. Kubes at least has been successful in making this team more exciting.
Anybody who thinks that Kubiak is a good coach or is somehow not to blame for problems like Jackson and a porous defense, is missing the point. It is the head coach's decision who goes on the field. It's the head coach's decision who gets drafted and where. It's the head coach's decision who is on the staff and how--or whether--they contribute to the team. It almost seems like every Kubiak supporter thinks that he's the OC rather than the head coach. It's not his responsibility to call offensive plays, it's his responsibility to assemble a staff, bring in players (both sides of the ball), evaluate talent, put together a game plan each week and evaluate the team's execution of said plan. Guys like John McClain love to talk about where the Texans are ranked in red-zone offense or yards per game but ultimately the only stat that matters is wins and losses. Kubiak is an abject failure when evaluated on the most important stat. He should be fired.
69Mustang is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #26
carkido45
Valued Poster

Encounters: 57

If Cowher's such a great coach why is he still available?
carkido45 is offline   Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
JackMehoffer
Account Disabled

That's funny Mustang, just because McNair hasn't fired Kubiak! I'd say he likes Kubiak and he believes In Kubiak! I mean I haven't heard of B.McNair swankin it up in Montrose! The defense played pretty damn good last season and with the exception of Jackson replacing Dunta Robinson! The secondary is full of young players, they took a chance their and it failed! The running game sucked and this year it has been great! I guess he doesn't get any credit for finding Arian Foster and giving him a shot at RB! I mean picking and choosing players isn't an exact science! Tell that to the asshole who picked Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning! As for Cowher I believe his wife passed away a few years ago and I think I heard he wanted to spend more family time and he liked doing the pregame broadcasts! He's had tons of teams trying to throw money at him to get him into coaching he just hasn't taken the job offers! Big Tex it seemed like with Dom Capers once they had that 2 win season halfway through I knew he was a goner and that he'd lost the team! I'm a total homer, been watching the oilers when I was 5 just as Campbells career was about done in Houston! I've cried I've cussed when they lost to Buffalo! And have endured a lot of frustration! So if you've been watching them since the 60's I know you've seen a lot! It pisses me off to listen to sports talk because all these callers are fickle ass know it all Dallas transplants and it's the same ones over and over! No life!
JackMehoffer is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #28
boardman
Making Pussy Great Again

Encounters: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
I agree, Jackson was a huge disappointment but in Kubiak's defense by the time he realized that Jackson was not going to be a positive factor this year it was too late. The season was already lost! Hopefully, Kubiak sticking with him will yield positive dividends in the future. We shall see!

I recall years ago the Oilers drafted Chris Dishman and he was repeatedly burned during his rookie year. I recall the reaction being very similar to the Jackson reaction this year. That experiement worked out ok for the Oilers in that Dishman went on to become a Pro Bowl Cornerback. I suppose sometimes it takes a CB being burned a few times before they finally learn to play the position at the Professional level. Let's hope that will end up being the case with Jackson!
Yep, we were ready to run Dishman out of Houston on a rail.
There were a lot of factors that contributed to this disappointing season. Jackson was just one part of it. If we had Dunta would we have gone 10-6 instead?
Now that it is off season for us let's see how hard Jackson works to become a real NFL corner. He was baptized by fire this year. If he comes back next year as a legitimate defender then it may have all been worth it when it comes to that selection. Time will tell.
boardman is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #29
DEAR_JOHN
Valued Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2bQTAU-uk
DEAR_JOHN is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #30
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN View Post