Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Louisiana > New Orleans > The Sandbox - New Orleans
The Sandbox - New Orleans The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 247
Top Posters
DallasRain70408
biomed160541
Yssup Rider59914
gman4452927
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47528
pyramider46370
bambino40312
CryptKicker37080
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35351
Mojojo33117

Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Outdoorsman
Ambassador

Encounters: 23
Default Overtime rules

I read yesterday that the rules for overtime are changing this up coming year in the NFL. A team simply scoring a field in OT does not win the game yet. The opposing team gets the ball and a chance to score. If the team that wins the coin toss scores a touchdown, the game is over, the opposing team does not get a chance to score. It the team winning the coin toss scores a field goal and prevents the other team from scoring on the next drive the game again is over.

A couple of thoughts and I did not explain all the new rules. First, is the NFL over complicating an easy concept? Too many rules can screw up any game IMHO.

Second I read about Coach Peyton's reply and Vilma's opinion on the new rules. They both seem to believe it is a direct attack on the way the Saints made it into the Superbowl - in OT with a field goal against the Vikings. I think maybe that game just opened everyone's eyes. Personally, I always thoguht deciding a game by a coin toss sucked because IMO the team that wins the coin toss has an unfair advantage. For example had the Vikings won the coin toss our defense was not stopping the Vikings toward the end of the game. The Vikings did not score on their last drive due to their own mistakes (penalty, 12 men in huddle and Farve's pass). The outcome of that game could have been very different. I like the idea of each team getting the ball once or maybe play for another full 15 minutes but I do not like all the contingencies if the team scores a field goal then this or that.

All that being said I am still basking in the glory of my SAINTS being the Superbowl Champions. Cannot wait for next season!!
Outdoorsman is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
gimme_that
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9
Default Good thread, what about safetys...

I like your idea about more time issued and the result of the time being the result. But most teams would abuse this option too depending on a lengthy drive offensively. Especially if the score tied again.

What if a team scores a safety, or a safety an then a ongoing field goal. Does the game end or does the opposin team still have a chance to score again?
gimme_that is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
guest051312
Account Disabled

Encounters: 7

From what I heard it only applies to playoff games. I like the collge rules for overtime each team gets a chance to score. It can take along time(like LSU/ Arkansas a few years ago) it's alot fairer, most NFL teams can score a field goal. So the new rule should make it better.
guest051312 is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
juan2fork
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

I think the rule is an improvement but am suspicious that, had the Vikings won the toss & kicked the FG this change might not have occurred.
juan2fork is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
BIG C
Ambassador

As has been stated, that rule change only applies to the post season and not the regular season games which will continue to operate using the same OT rules that have been in effect for years.....

They made these changes to the post season OT rules citing the fact that the Vikes didn't get a chance to run their offense and the Ain'ts won the game by kicking a field goal and had they given the Vikes a chance that maybe the Ain'ts wouldn't have been in the Super Bowl and blah, blah, fucking blah.....What I don't understand is that people have been bitching about that particular aspect of the OT rules forever and a day and the NFL and its Competition Committee has ignored complaints and now that the Ain'ts receive the same benefits from the fucked up OT rules as other teams have done, they all of a sudden decide that the way the Ain'ts won was unfair and had Brett Favre (their darling QB) gotten a chance then it would have been the Vikes in the Super Bowl and blah, blah, fucking blah.....What a bunch of fuckheads the NFL has become and they're showing their obvious bias for Brett Favre.....

If they really want to make things fair (and not just be sucking Favre's dick), then why not adopt something closer to the NCAA's OT Rule, or better yet, adopt what basketball has done in both college and pros and just have an additional period of play with a set amount of time (maybe 10 mins) and then let the teams have at it until there is a winner.....I think their current changes are whacked.....
BIG C is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
MrGiz
BANNED

My Vote goes with adopting the NCAA College OT System. It is only fair and equal.... and a whole Hell of a lot more exciting to watch!!

FUCK the TV networks.... I believe they drive too many of the existing rules!!

Giz
MrGiz is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
guest051312
Account Disabled

They came up with the OT rules years ago to shorten the game time to fit a 3 hour window for the networks. I like the college rules but they can go to 2 or more OT's to finally decide the winner. Big C's time limit works the best, another quarter or less. Who's to say the Vikes would have scored if they got a chance.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
BIG C
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiz View Post
My Vote goes with adopting the NCAA College OT System. It is only fair and equal.... and a whole Hell of a lot more exciting to watch!!
The NCAA format works a helluva lot better than what the NFL just approved.....If the team that wins the coin toss goes on to score a TD, then you're left with the same argument that supposedly spurred on this change in the rules in that the opposing team never got a chance to run their offense in the OT.....I think it's f'ing absurd to say a team won by kicking a field goal and not a TD and it's unfair that the other team never got a chance to run their offense, however, it's fine if the team scored a TD and won (even though the opposing team still never got a chance to run their offense)....What's the friggen difference???....A loss is a loss is a loss.....The Vikes would have loss the game and not gotten to the Super Bowl whether the Ain'ts scored a field goal, a TD, or a safety.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmsouth View Post
Big C's time limit works the best, another quarter or less. Who's to say the Vikes would have scored if they got a chance.
I favor that idea of putting another 10 mins on the clock and making each extra period a 10 minute addition and they continue to play until someone is ahead at the end of a period.....If you think 10 mins is too long, then make it 7 or 8 mins.....There's less room for crying if a team lets the winner of the coin toss keep the ball for the entire extra period.....To me that's the fairest way to do things.....
BIG C is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Outdoorsman
Ambassador

Encounters: 23

Here's another scenario with the new rules. Brett Farve runs his offense down to the 5 yard of the opposing team ready to score that TD to win the OT and go to the SUperbowl and the Saints defense intercepts and runs back for a TD winning the game. Now I ask is that more fair that the Saints win from one lucky play to run back a 95 yard TD and No the Vikings do not get another chance and the Saints offense not on the field.

The NFL needs to face the facts some times the best team on the field does not win the game that is a part of the game. You cannot take luck, mistakes, stupidity out of the game, the only way to do that is take all the humans out of the game and then who watches? I say 15 minutes another whole period and yes clock management is a part of the strategy and part of the game - get over it.

Brett Farve had his day in the Sun now it is Brees' and the Saints get their day in Sun, let them effing enjoy it!!!!!
Outdoorsman is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

I favor the ncaa ot system, however, as someone pointed out its flaw is that it can go rather long.

There is a thought I don't think has been tried. How about a field goal shoot out, starting at the 20 yard line. this would be the only time 2 kickers would on field at the same time.

which ever winner of the field goal shoot out gets 3 or 6pts added to the total.
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
MrGiz
BANNED

Who cares how long it might take?!?!.... the College OT rules are the only equitable system out there!! I don't like corporate television networks deciding a game's outcome!!

Giz's $.02
MrGiz is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
guest051312
Account Disabled

Dilbert. Your thinking of soccer.LOL

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women