Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70437
biomed160705
Yssup Rider60041
gman4452944
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47625
pyramider46370
bambino40341
CryptKicker37094
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35446
Mojojo33117

Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1
Default GWP needs its own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
I'm guessing you'd be against a comprehensive Guest Worker Program (GWP), then...just to be clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
I'd be very much in favor of a GWP. Your buddies in organized labor are the one against it. And also more realistic quota and more intelligent quotas (e.g., anyone here legally like on a visa and graduating from a 4-year college, gets fast-tracked to citizenship.)

I am a big fan of legal immigration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
Quite the contrary. I would be very much in favor of a program for a legal method for non-citizens to work here. You start guessing CT...instead of just asking...and it gets you in trouble.

I am far from against the hispanic individual. The ones who want to work here (generally) have good family values, they work extremely hard, they want to assimilate in this country and they are generally thankful for the opportunity. I'm not sure what more you can ask for from an individual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
I'm definately all for a GWP, but one that doesn't reward those that broke the law and came in illegally. They go to the back of the line.

I think we need too move past the "if" or "why" and move to "how." The reality is illegals comprise an important part of our workforce. We can't just round 'em up and send them back without a plan. The status quo is unacceptable as well.

It is amazing how this issue, like NAFTA, makes for strange bedfellows. The liberal unions in bed with the conservative America First protectionist crowd.
There shouldn't be any controversy here
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
GWP needs its own thread
+1, and I'll throw my hat in the ring with PJ, RK, and Alt.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
I'm guessing you'd be against a comprehensive Guest Worker program, then...just to be clear.
Quote:
I'd be very much in favor of a GWP. Your buddies in organized labor are the one against it. And also more realistic quota and more intelligent quotas (e.g., anyone here legally like on a visa and graduating from a 4-year college, gets fast-tracked to citizenship.)

I am a big fan of legal immigration.
Quote:
Quite the contrary. I would be very much in favor of a program for a legal method for non-citizens to work here. You start guessing CT...instead of just asking...and it gets you in trouble.

I am far from against the hispanic individual. The ones who want to work here (generally) have good family values, they work extremely hard, they want to assimilate in this country and they are generally thankful for the opportunity. I'm not sure what more you can ask for from an individual.
Quote:
I'm definately all for a GWP, but one that doesn't reward those that broke the law and came in illegally. They go to the back of the line.

I think we need too move past the "if" or "why" and move to "how." The reality is illegals comprise an important part of our workforce. We can't just round 'em up and send them back without a plan. The status quo is unacceptable as well.

It is amazing how this issue, like NAFTA, makes for strange bedfellows. The liberal unions in bed with the conservative America First protectionist crowd.

And Chuckles, the reason the Texans are talking about Mexicans isn't an issue of race but geography. Our friends in the Northeast, for example, have a much more diverse set of illegals...
I really disagree with one point, atl. And that's your thing about the status quo, and you wanting to send them to the back of the line. I think that sounds admirable, but is impractical and unfair on lots of levels. We have "grandfather" clauses in lots of laws. It's the only way to equably deal with a new law.

I think it would be an overwhelming task to determine which of the 11 million people deserved to go to the end of the line. I'd be in favor of grandfathering people in, then tweaking the system after that instead of trying to create a sieve for 11 million to fit through.

Also, I think violations should be dealt with strictly, and Congress should define what constitutional rights, if any, attach to the program, maybe on a staggered basis. I wouldn't be in favor of taking any rights that already exist for undocumenteds away, but would not be against restricting those that may yet be undetermined.

Damn!!! 4 against 1. Mazo, TTH, Chev, where are you?
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
I really disagree with one point, atl. And that's your thing about the status quo, and you wanting to send them to the back of the line. I think that sounds admirable, but is impractical and unfair on lots of levels. We have "grandfather" clauses in lots of laws. It's the only way to equably deal with a new law.
You are confusing citizenship with staying in the country. Think of two lines - 1) a line to become an immigrant and ultimately a citizen and 2) a line to work here but without any rights to become a citizen -- any children born of a GW wouldn't get citizenship. You could grandfather people here to the front of line 2) but probably with some penalties (e.g., taxes) for the time they were illegal. They could stay here and continue working. But they would go to the back of line 1) to be a citizen. Those that stayed home and submitted their applications would get that first. New people could apply for both lines -- you might get the right to be a GW, but still be in the citizenship line.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
You are confusing citizenship with staying in the country. Think of two lines - 1) a line to become an immigrant and ultimately a citizen and 2) a line to work here but without any rights to become a citizen -- any children born of a GW wouldn't get citizenship. You could grandfather people here to the front of line 2) but probably with some penalties (e.g., taxes) for the time they were illegal. They could stay here and continue working. But they would go to the back of line 1) to be a citizen. Those that stayed home and submitted their applications would get that first. New people could apply for both lines -- you might get the right to be a GW, but still be in the citizenship line.
That's a clearer explanation than I've ever heard. I've always heard that the GWP would "lead" to citizenship. That makes it one line. But if it develops into two lines, like you say, then I wouldn't have much problem with it.

I do have a problem with excluding the GWP who give birth to children on US soil from citizenship. Especially as long as people who walk across the border to drop kids for citizenship still have that access. It seems unfair to let them do that while restricting people who are obeying the GWP.

I also think it would be hard to do with the current 14th Amendment. I know, I know what some of the people are saying about the interpretation, but IDT that will stand the test anyone would try and bring against it.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
pjorourke
Valued Poster

I don't think illegals should have citizenship for their children either.

I'm not a constitutional lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I understand there are various interpretations that would allow it. Here is one:http://www.14thamendment.us/birthrig...al_intent.html

I suspect if Congress and the President got behind the idea as a solution to this problem, the Supremes would probably find a way to make it happen.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Damn!!! 4 against 1. Mazo, TTH, Chev, where are you?
Don't look at me. I live in Wisconsin.

Up here an illegal alien is a guy from Iowa with expired plates.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
Up here an illegal alien is a guy from Iowa with expired plates.
ROTFLMAO That may be the post of the month.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Ignoring the details for now, I agree with what you laid out from the standpoint of there being multiple paths, or "lines" & "guestworker" status doesn't always mean path to citizenship.

I disagree, Charles, that the status quo is acceptable. In many ways it is even unfair to the current illegals. I think for most of them, they'd like to get some clarity on what their future holds and what rights/options they may or may not have going forward.

Charles, I agree this whole "Anchor Baby" thing is a scam and should not be rewarded.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I fall inbetween these two ends. I don't agree with CT on the fairness issue. Why is it fair for someone who broke the law to get at the front of the line, in front of those who didn't? Frankly, I don't think that's fair either.

That being said, I think this issue is of such a high degree of importance, that I believe that some kind of an amnesty situation needs to be addressed for those already here...along with a path to citizenship for those folks. To hell with fairness...we are never all going to agree on what is fair...and being fair falls way down the list of importance to me. So, I guess I agree with CT as it relates to the practicability nature of his comment (and it sickens me to have to admit such agreement ).

I also think that such a GWP needs to favor our neighbors more than folks on the other side of the world...at least as it relates to unskilled labor. I'm for this country...my country...The US of A. That's my team. Once someone is a citizen?...then they are part of my country...they are then on my team. And I would want the higher skilled jobs in this country to be weighted more for my team...not someone from somewhere else. I want my team to be the best off. There are a lot of folks on here that I wouldn't give the time of day to in a team meeting. But, let some other jersey show up on the playing field?...and I will help that team member whup that opponents ass.

But any program, however it is structured, is meaningless unless it also has a comprehensive plan for securing the borders with teeth in the penalty for violators.

There are many, many dynamics that would need to be worked out for a GWP...and it is an important issue that does need addressing. But like Peej says, organized labor will take on such a program with such focus that, IMHO, it will not happen.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
I also think that such a GWP needs to favor our neighbors more than folks on the other side of the world...at least as it relates to unskilled labor. I'm for this country...my country...The US of A. That's my team. Once someone is a citizen?...then they are part of my country...they are then on my team. And I would want the higher skilled jobs in this country to be weighted more for my team...not someone from somewhere else. I want my team to be the best off. There are a lot of folks on here that I wouldn't give the time of day to in a team meeting. But, let some other jersey show up on the playing field?...and I will help that team member whup that opponents ass.

But any program, however it is structured, is meaningless unless it also has a comprehensive plan for securing the borders with teeth in the penalty for violators.

I struggle with this team stuff, although I know you are not alone in this POV. To borrow your "team" analogy, if I'm the General Manager of an NBA team on draft day, I'm taking the 7-footer with great post moves wherever he's from not the 5' 10" shooting guard that is a little slow, can't shoot real well but happened to go to college in a neighboring state. Or in practice, if I'm picking my team, I'm taking the engineers and scientists from whereever vs. future busboys.

I do agree once you have a realistic plan, violating it needs to have real consequences.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
I'm taking the engineers and scientists from whereever vs. future busboys.
Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke
And also more realistic quota and more intelligent quotas (e.g., anyone here legally like on a visa and graduating from a 4-year college, gets fast-tracked to citizenship.)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
if I'm picking my team, I'm taking the engineers and scientists from whereever vs. future busboys.
I agree...it's hard to write an entire plan on a hooker/John board. But the hard truth is that the engineers and scientists, no matter what the plan, will be the 10%, not the 90%...much like your NBA star ain't quite the run of the mill round ball player.

Absolutely, we need to have a system in place that covers the best and the brightest (and a fast, smooth process at that), but an unskilled (or moderately skilled) workforce plan is where the majority of immigration will come from...just like our total workforce is comprised mostly of unskilled or moderately skilled workforce. I'm for moving our current team's unskilled to moderately skilled, and moderately skilled to skilled...and filling the "to be developed" positions from a legal immigrant source.

Down here in Texas, the immigrant workforce fills the positions of waiters and busboys, yard and building maintainance, roughnecks and roustabouts, building trades, etc. There's a hell of a lot more of those jobs than nuclear scientist jobs. I don't mean to belittle the fact that we need a fast track for the best and the brightest...but we probably need a plan in place to deal with the big picture before we start tweaking it for things that are a given (or at least should be a given).
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
organized labor will take on such a program with such focus that, IMHO, it will not happen.
You mean we've found something that will take Labor's attention away from Mazo's beloved Wisconsin?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
I agree...it's hard to write an entire plan on a hooker/John board. But the hard truth is that the engineers and scientists, no matter what the plan, will be the 10%, not the 90%.

Absolutely, we need to have a system in place that covers the best and the brightest (and a fast, smooth process at that), but an unskilled (or moderately skilled) workforce plan is where the majority of immigration will come from...just like our total workforce is comprised mostly of unskilled or moderately skilled workforce. I'm for moving our current team's unskilled to moderately skilled, and moderately skilled to skilled...and filling the "to be developed" positions from a legal immigrant source.

Down here in Texas, the immigrant workforce fills the positions of waiters and busboys, yard and building maintainance, roughnecks and roustabouts, building trades, etc. There's a hell of a lot more of those jobs than nuclear scientist jobs. I don't mean to belittle the fact that we need a fast track for the best and the brightest...but we probably need a plan in place to deal with the big picture before we start tweaking it for things that are a given (or at least should be a given).
We are, I think, on the same page & you are probably pretty close on the 90/10 being moderately skilled/highly("uniquely") skilled.

I agree with dealing with the big picture (e.g. large numbers) but I'll suggest the process for the "best & brightest" is not a given today. I'd bet more than one board member has run into this process 1st hand. I've dealt with it 2nd hand trying to hire from this group. There are 10's of thousands of foreigners excelling in our universities not allowed to stay or have to jump through major hoops to do so.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women