Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70386
biomed160320
Yssup Rider59856
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47438
pyramider46370
bambino40288
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35180
Mojojo33117

Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 AM   #1
VeryClean
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9
Default What's the best new compact cheap fuel efficient commuter car?

I would like some advice on my next new car purchase. I already own a loaded top trim 3 row SUV and a luxury sports sedan for spirited weekend fun driving. Both are relatively new so should hopefully last me a long time.

What I want now is a small cheap new commuter car that has good fuel economy. A point A to point B car that is reliable and will get me where I need to be on time. That's mainly why the car has to be new. I can't have it breaking down on me on the side of the road. This car doesn't have to be big because it's only going to carry me most of the time. It doesn't have to look stylish because it will be my commuter work car, not my show off car. It needs to be cheap because I don't want to sink a lot of my liquid funds on a depreciating asset. That's why I will be buying the base trim. My other two cars are both loaded top trims with all the bells and whistles and those are plenty enough for me.

Here are the cars I'm considering:

1. 2019 Toyota Corolla LE sedan with CVT transmission: MSRP is about $20,500 but with manufacturer rebates and dealership discounts, I can buy it for $15,500 plus ttl.

The 2020 Corolla sedans which will be available at DFW dealerships starting next month is the completely new 12th generation of Corollas. The dealerships are therefore deeply discounting the old style lame 2019 Corolla sedans so the 2019 sedans get sold too.

2. 2019 Chevrolet Spark LS Hatchback with CVT transmission. Small car with great fuel economy that's a lot of fun to drive. Plus it has Apple Carplay and a wifi hotspot that the 2019 Corolla sedan doesn't have so keep that in mind. As long as I buy at the end of the month and negotiate hard, I'll be able to buy this car for $10,000 plus ttl. Yes that cheap for a new car. This is a rebadged Daewoo Matiz and is made in South Korea and shipped to the USA. Has an Ecotec engine which is known for being reliable and a timing chain, not a timing belt. No worries about the timing belt snapping after 70,000 miles.

3. 2019 Hyundai Accent or 2019 Kia Rio sedans. They're both Korean cars owned by the same parent company. I would get the base trims with auto transmissions. I could probably bring the price down to $14,000 plus ttl. Great five year bumper to bumper warranties and 10 year powertrain warranties but don't know if they will be as reliable as the Corolla or even the Spark.

I'm not considering Honda cars because I feel Honda cars are slightly overpriced and Honda dealerships don't deal i.e. they don't give you a good discount.

What do y'all feel? I will be buying this car with cash, no financing. No trade in either.
VeryClean is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #2
CG2014
Premium Access

Encounters: 101
Talking

https://www.smartusa.com/

Comes in a pickup truck trim version too and only $16,000!

CG2014 is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
VeryClean
Valued Poster

CG2014, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while! LOLOLOL!!!

Instead of paying $16,000 for a tiny Smartcar, I'd rather pay $10,000 for a brand new Chevy Spark that's bigger in size, can seat 4 adults plus cargo space, and handles better on the highway too.

The Smartcar sells well in Europe because a lot of European cities are small and crowded with tiny streets so a tiny car is very useful there. It's not that useful in the USA.

Jim Anderton from Engineering.com explains why he feels the 2016 Chevrolet Spark is the best car in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5uah4Y2NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5uah4Y2NY
Old 02-06-2019, 06:04 AM   #4
2bored@home
Account Disabled

Encounters: 20

Hands down, I would go with the Toyota, you can drive the crap out of it and still get good money for it when you get ready to sell it.
2bored@home is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
bored@home
Valued Poster

Encounters: 23

Not sure your size but I'm like average and would suggest you rent both the spark and corolla for a week each (very cheap). I think you will find for a day or two it's ok but then begins to feel cramped.
If I had to choose between your list it would be the corolla but maybe you want to expand out a little.
bored@home is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
billw1032
Valued Poster

If you're looking at the Corolla, you might consider whether a Camry LE will be within your budget. I bought a Camry XLE two years ago, and I have absolutely no regrets. I love the car. I went with the V-6 because it feels a bit smoother, but it probably doesn't get as good mileage as the 4 cylinder. I drove the 4 cylinder and it had plenty of power. I also paid extra for some of the optional packages, and I'm glad I did. It ran the price up a bit, maybe more than you want, but I'm glad I got them. I've had Toyota/Lexus products for 30 years and never regretted it. Bottom line, I love the Camry I got much more than I thought I would.
*Edit* If this is your commuting car, keep in mind that you will spend a lot of time in it. You want to be comfortable and enjoy the time you spend in it (that is, if commuting can be enjoyable...).
billw1032 is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #7
rexdutchman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Best advise rent for weekend see which is best for you
rexdutchman is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
CG2014
Premium Access

Encounters: 101
Exclamation

I wouldn't buy any Chevy anyway.

Owned 4 of them, 3 of them purchased brand new, turned out to be all junk and started falling apart after a year.

All those commercials about how Chevy has won J.D. Powers initial quality satisfaction among owners of Chevy cars in the first 90 days or 180 days or whatever # of days they are for so many years in a row is Bullshit!

Of course car owners are more likely to be satisfied with a car they just purchased brand new or a pre-owned one:

the initial satisfaction is the result of excitement that they have a different car and not because of the quality of the manufacturing of the car itself.

The question should be are they still satisfied a year down the line, 2 years? 3 years when they are still stuck with a 48 or 60 months note (yes, I know you are paying cash) and they can't get out of it without ruining their credits and the car is coming apart and/or giving them constant mechanical issues?

Plus looking at the Spark with 98 HP and the Corolla with 132-140 HP, I will take a Toyota especially in this city with just about everyone in a big Pickup truck or SUV and the will ride your tail.

Buy Japanese or Korean - preferably Japanese.

I had a Lexus I purchased brand new in 1992 and it lasted me 24 1/2 years, over 200,000 miles, and all the parts except for battery, alternator replaced once, tires, spark plugs, one full brake job during the entire time, were still original and working.

In 2006 I was told the water pump is getting ready to quit, if you don't get it replaced you are going to get stuck somewhere with the engine overheating and coolant coming out of the radiator or hoses but you still have a few months before Summer arrives.

I never did get it changed and it never broke down on me and the car never once in 24 1/2 years ever over heated on me with steam and coolant coming out from it.

Also, in 24 years it only failed State Inspection once and it was because one of the tires needed replacing.

It never once failed a State Emission test and the muffler and catalytic converter were still original parts.

It was still running when I donated it to cars for kids charity.

Plus when it comes time to trade in or sell it, you get a better resale value with a Toyota.

Also don't buy brand new, the car automatically loses 10%+ of its value when you drive out off the lost and 20-25% after the first year.

Plenty of 1-3 years old pre-owned cars in great condition for sale everywhere but do your homework and don't let a dealer take you for a higher price than blue book value.
CG2014 is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Toyota.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
slowmover
Premium Access

Encounters: 47

I can give a thumbs up to Toyota. I have a hybrid and am impressed. They get their best MPG in the city.
slowmover is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #11
BLM69
BANNED

Encounters: 59

Wait for the 20 corolla
BLM69 is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Encounters: 44

Those Smart cars only get 20-some MPG. They should be called Dumb cars.

The Koreans are making some damn fine cheap cars. Car of the Year, anyone?
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
txexetoo
Premium Access

Encounters: 133

Toyota’s are great. I have a 13 yr old sequoia that still runs great. Check into the Mazda 3 hatchback. Great looks and fuel efficient. I have a Mazda and love it. If you decide to go this route. Check out town north Mazda in Richardson. Family owned and treats you right
txexetoo is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
VeryClean
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored@home View Post
Not sure your size but I'm like average and would suggest you rent both the spark and corolla for a week each (very cheap). I think you will find for a day or two it's ok but then begins to feel cramped.
If I had to choose between your list it would be the corolla but maybe you want to expand out a little.
I'm an obese guy so initially I thought there was no way I would fit in the Spark but I was pleasantly surprised to fit and be comfortable.

That being said, I've only done short test drives so your advice is spot on. I'll rent both the spark and corolla for a week each.

I'm also going to try out Billw's advice and check out the 2019 Camry.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #15
VeryClean
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw1032 View Post
If you're looking at the Corolla, you might consider whether a Camry LE will be within your budget. I bought a Camry XLE two years ago, and I have absolutely no regrets. I love the car. I went with the V-6 because it feels a bit smoother, but it probably doesn't get as good mileage as the 4 cylinder. I drove the 4 cylinder and it had plenty of power. I also paid extra for some of the optional packages, and I'm glad I did. It ran the price up a bit, maybe more than you want, but I'm glad I got them. I've had Toyota/Lexus products for 30 years and never regretted it. Bottom line, I love the Camry I got much more than I thought I would.
*Edit* If this is your commuting car, keep in mind that you will spend a lot of time in it. You want to be comfortable and enjoy the time you spend in it (that is, if commuting can be enjoyable...).
Great points. I will check out the Camry. The 2019 Camry L has better fuel economy than the 2019 Corolla despite being the bigger car.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women