Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70407
biomed160512
Yssup Rider59911
gman4452921
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47518
pyramider46370
bambino40312
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35336
Mojojo33117

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Liberalism

To understand the meaning and motives of egalitarianism, project it into the field of medicine. Suppose a doctor is called to help a man with a broken leg and, instead of setting it, proceeds to break the legs of ten other men, explaining that this would make the patient feel better; when all these men become crippled for life, the doctor advocates the passage of a law compelling everyone to walk on crutches—in order to make the cripples feel better and equalize the “unfairness” of nature.

If this is unspeakable, how does it acquire an aura of morality—or even the benefit of a moral doubt—when practiced in regard to man’s mind? | Ayn Rand, "Return of the Primitive," 144
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
TheDaliLama
Valued Poster

I think my signature says it all...Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink. (P.J.O'Rourke )

Why are we typing like that Dumb Fuck Fast Cum?
TheDaliLama is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

It's simple really,

to piss him off.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
MC
Valued Poster

Encounters: 61

Ayn Rand....quite the hypocrite in her final days.
MC is online now   Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Does that negate the truth or logic of what she said?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
MC
Valued Poster

Encounters: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Does that negate the truth or logic of what she said?
When she goes against the very same principles she championed, then I'd say yes. It puts her entire worldview into queston if she herself was not willing to follow it. Of course, that's just my opinion.
MC is online now   Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

We've argued that ad nauseum in older threads. It would be boring to revisit it again. Simply then, what is wrong with the statement?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
essence
Valued Poster

It is very simply an argument by false analogy, and is easily dismissed by pointing out the falshood of the analogy.
essence is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Ok, point it out.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
essence
Valued Poster

I pointed it out but somehow my longer message got lost when I hot the send button - always make a copy before you hit send!

But let me try again.

To understand the meaning and motives of egalitarianism, project it into the field of medicine. Suppose a doctor is called to help ten men with broken legs and he proceeds to set them, starting with the ones in most need of help. When all these men become fit again, they return to thank him and have a little party. They all share in the costs and treat each other as equals.

To understand the meaning and motives of egalitarianism, project it into the field of medicine. Suppose a doctor is working at a busy A&E on a Friday night. He has been on call for 36 hours, and has hardly slept during that time. He is 3 years out of med school. Waiting are the normal variety of hapless folk. A drunk man has just vomited over a nurse, a man has broken his arm in a fight, a man is holding his side where blood is oozing out, a woman has a baby who won;t stop crying, a young girl is asking for some medicine because she isn;t feeling good and may have a slight cold. Another drunk man wanders in and out and abuses whoever catches his eye. Policeman is standing around, he wants to interview a woman after the doctor has patched her up. n ambulance is arriving with the results of a sever car accident and fire. So the doctor wonders whether he should go into private practice or call for extra help from the manager who is tucked up in bed. They all expect to be treated for free, but of course nothing is free. They all contribute or not in various ways and the doctor tries to treat them professionally while keeping his thoughts to himself.

So, an of these three analogies could be used, they are all a false way of arguing.

BTW, the third description is not far from a typical London A&E on a Friday night.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
essence
Valued Poster

Or maybe this will demonstrate the perils of argument by analogy?

To understand the meaning and motives of egalitarianism, project it into the field of murder. Suppose a gunman sets out to kill his wife, but when he arrives at the house he founds they are having a lingerie party. So he proceeds to shoot them dead, one by one, and when the police come to arrest him he says everybody dies some time, so it is best if they all die at the same time to make them all equal, and equalize the 'unfairness' of nature.

This forum is awash with argument by false analogy, but this thread is one of the most blatant examples.

I assume COG tht you realise how ridiculous the argument is, you simply want to provoke some discussion and get others to appreciate the stupidity of the original author. Actually, maybe they are not stupid,they know exactly what they are doing, they just rely on the stupidity of their followers.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

The original author was a lot of things, but stupid was not one of them. You've muddied the water, but I think the point she made was a pretty accurate description of what passes for egalitarianism today. It appears to me that in today's society the focus is not on lifting people up, it's on bringing people down, so the ones at the lower level will feel better about themselves. Not because their life is any better, but because someone else has been hurt. Clearly, she was warning against that, and the analogy is valid. But I enjoyed your arguments. You didn't use multicolors, or call me a homosexual, which is generally how discussions go here.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
essence
Valued Poster

I gthink I backtracked on calling the original author stupid. I said they were probably very clever and well versed in using crooked thinking, knowing that most ofthe population are stupid and will fall for it every time.

I think what must be distinguished is the 'ism' and the results of poor application of that 'ism'.

The principle that 'we are all equal under the law' is surely accepted by most, but everybody knows that when you enter the courthouse there are other influences at play including the throwing of dice.

The origina author of course committed other crooked thinking sins, including changing the meaning of words and emotive language. 'Unfairness' is used in a way to emphasise those for whom life has been unfair, whereas the true meaning is that different people have different luck thrown at them, good and bad.

The author also throws in some subliminal remarks e.g. to paraphrase:

The motives of egalitarianism is to equalize the 'unfairness' of nature.

Doesn;t that sound ridiculous?

But if it said:

'Egalitarianism has become mis applied and an excuse in wrong headed minds for ill conceived attempts to level down all aspects of human endeavour'

In fact, the more I read this, the more ridiculous it becomes. How can you talk about equalizing something which is by nature, unequal? It is just as absurd to talk about equalising the unfairness of a pack of cards in a game of poker.

Yes, the author may be very clever, but also very very stupid. I think a decent jury would easily see through that in a barrister.

It's late, I am going to bed. Life is unfair. Deal with it (as I say to my kids).
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

And good night to you as well, my friend. And thanks for not wishing me dead. That is becoming common around here these days. And I'm just here to have fun! LOL!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
essence
Valued Poster

ps no the analogy is not valid, if you are going to make an argument, make it on its own terms, don;t make it on the basis of some concocted story. For example, if there is evidence that education is not sufficiently encouraging the brightest, then make that argument, provide the evidence, don't talk about broken legs, ridiculous! It is just grand standing.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women