Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Security Matters
Security Matters Personal security is of the utmost priority. Discussions regarding every aspect of personal security within the hobby can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59851
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47431
pyramider46370
bambino40279
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35161
Mojojo33117

Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
txswing99
Gaining Momentum

Default Your hobby phone is not enough.

All...

Originally I posted this in my Coed Discussion forum for the Houston area, but thought it might be just as relevant in this one. I hope you don't mind the re-post...

This week, I had dinner and drinks with one of my long-retired ATFs who came to visit Houston from the east coast. As a provider in Dallas, she gave a younger version of myself a very welcome start in the hobby and we remained friends since...with occasional communications after her retirement. To my surprise, she wanted to thank me for some advise and help I provided years ago. Apparently it had come back to help her immensely in the last year in dealing with her divorce and the LE.

Years ago, I was a computer security consultant and the topic of how to secure her business came up when we got together. Typically folks ask me what anti-virus or firewall software to use, but I had advised her that, "The best security is not about installing the right software, but rather applying to consistent procedures with the tools to get the level of security she wanted!" In other words, it makes no sense having a hobby phone if you leave it laying around. Or, maintain a calendar of her appointments with other confidential information on her password-protected laptop that she loans to her friends. At the time, she had already planned to retire "within 5 years" and she wanted to "disappear" after that. With a website, photos, and assorted accounts at hobby sites, it seemed like a tall order. So we put together a set of secure tools (i.e. a laptop with encrypted drives, hard-to-trace hobby phone, anonymous web browsing, etc) and procedures (i.e. selectively obscuring photos, track list of all her hobby accounts) that would effectively allow her to "disappear" when she decided to finally retire. Which she did successfully a few years later.

As the story goes, she moves to the east coast with her boyfriend...who was aware of her provider past...and they marry. Kids follow and the family starts going to a good church. ...and then the economy tanks. With the family facing difficulties, she -- in agreement with her husband -- decides to return as a provider. She resurfaces with her tools and procedures from before -- and even though hubby wanted to help -- she maintains her laptop and hobby accounts separate from her husband. Hubby takes her sexy photos and generally helps, but she takes care of the confidential stuff. Things got a little better and generally all was well with the family for over a year while she was a provider.

Last summer, her husband inherits some family money and they decide she should retire...no problems, she announces to the community that she retires in 2 weeks...but then LE arrests her in her hotel waiting for an appointment. Two days later, her husband files for divorce and is taking the kids. She immediately went into "retirement" and shut down her business. When meeting with her lawyer, she is told that her husband copied her laptop hard-drive and provided it to LE...he may have had a hand in arranging the arrest. Long story short, LE could not make a case because everything in her laptop was encrypted and nothing could be traced back to her or used to corroborate her hubby's story. The divorce also went well as nothing could be proven other than a strong suspicion that she might have been cheating.

To be fair, she was lucky. But she never imagined that the biggest threat was in her own home. Still, her adherence to the procedures she established made a difference.

In a separate matter, a judge last month ruled that a person may be compelled to provide the password of an encrypted drive owned by the suspect if; the police can determine that it is encrypted and contains information about the commission of a crime. Judgements like this affects how we keep our hobby/provider life confidential.

So, when my ATF asked me to help with a laptop upgrade, we secured her laptop with a suitably hidden encrypted drive combined with a separate guest OS for non-provider or public use. The idea is that she can allow someone onto the public part of the laptop and they would not find anything. In the meantime, she can run her business on a private secure OS on her same laptop.

The point of sharing the story is to remind folks to be smart about keeping their hobby/provider life confidential. During the craziness that comes with the upcoming election year...it's likely that the bright light may yet again be pointed at the hobby. You have to decide how much exposure you can live with...then adopt the necessary practices and tools...and be consistent. Technology is not enough...use good practices.

...and have fun!

-T
txswing99 is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
jframe2
Valued Poster

Man T, you hit it on the nail!
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
The Slut
Valued Poster

You can never have too much security. This story is an excellent example of how careful everyone must be in the hobby. Txswing99 thanks for sharing.
The Slut is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
RosesforLola
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 117407
My ECCIE Reviews

Wow, what an interesting story. I can't believe her husband did that to her...but then, should I really be surprised?!
RosesforLola is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
daratu1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Txswing - Fantastic advice, thanks so much for sharing!
daratu1 is offline   Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
DEPmic05
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

That kind of security you need in just about everything you do. We often get comfortable in certain places or people, drop our guard and then find out the hard way just how vulnerable we are. It takes a lot of self-discipline to maintain that sort of vigilance.

Way to go txswing99 for sharing such life altering advice. And way to go to your friend for accepting it...hope everything works out for her in the end.
DEPmic05 is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
*GoddessDallas*
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 35145

That is the exact reason why I don't understand why women use their face shots and body shots with tats that could MAKE them.
Thanks for sharing this story.
*GoddessDallas* is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Guest022414-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 99478
My ECCIE Reviews

I wad started in the industry by a girl who threw my pics on Bp thinking it would help me. Pwaa!! My pics got picked up by 3 different sites I had never heard of. I need super good advice on how to delete this footprint as much as I can. And who do I talk to about the hard drive encryption? I love this story!!! It can sooo happen to anyone anytime.
Guest022414-1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
daratu1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLIE View Post
I wad started in the industry by a girl who threw my pics on Bp thinking it would help me. Pwaa!! My pics got picked up by 3 different sites I had never heard of. I need super good advice on how to delete this footprint as much as I can. And who do I talk to about the hard drive encryption? I love this story!!! It can sooo happen to anyone anytime.
Jolie, there are options for removing pics from sites, but they are difficult and often do not result in total removal. A DCMA violation comes to mind, claiming they are violating a copyright. Jframe or txswing or even other ladies are the people you may want to ask.

As for drive encryption, that is something that can be easily done. A few things go into it, but it's fairly easy. The method described in the OP is something that should probably be done by a consultant (I.e. someone trained.) Of course I mean no offense and if you feel you can do it, I'm happy to help via email as I am nowhere near your physical local. Again, Jframe or txswing may also be people to reach out to.
daratu1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
thx
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Off the top of my head...
. Hubby is bad !
. I would expect the hubby had access to the booted system, which would render the encryption of the harddrive useless. (he can copy the contents to a flashdrive or portable usb drive)
. Authorities did not request the email provider for a copy of all emails?
. Similar on the request of phone records?
thx is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Wnypuslicker
Registered Member

Great advice... you never know when you will need to have your stuff secure!
Wnypuslicker is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
ErectionDemolitionSpclst
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 11182
My ECCIE Reviews

<< Note to self - Hook-up with Mister Gentleman Eccielonian txswing99, so he can show me a thing or two, which alone is reason enough to travel to and Bless Houston, TX and other areas of TX for the first time, right? Of, course! And, you all know what is said about the first time -

Thanks Mister Gentleman Eccielonian txswing99 for your post - You Rock and I also hope that everything worked out for your friend!

Love & Light,

Mary Magdalene
A never ending commitment to excellence in bringing forth an unprecedented quality of life to others - MM
ErectionDemolitionSpclst is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
guest092513
Account Disabled

Encounters: 3

Hubby knew he was about to get the inheritence so he need a way to get rid of her so he didnt have to share it with her.
guest092513 is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Secret Encounters
Your naughty firecracker💥

User ID: 38910
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Thats so effed up .. . it was good for him till it wasnt ..

~lexxxi
Secret Encounters is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Sabrina Morgan
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 70726

Fantastic post, txswing99! That is a sad story with (hopefully) a happy ending. Unfortunately when it comes to family and loved ones, most you can trust with your life, but almost none with your security.

As you laid out so well, it's not just that you use your crypto, but how you use it - and consistency in safeguarding both your info and access to your devices.

A nice complement to encrypted drives and separating your personal from professional/hobby life in every way possible is not keeping the limited data you do retain on your personal PC. SafeOffice.com is the provider I use for my consulting clients; it's industry friendly and has been tested by people I'd trust with my security.
Sabrina Morgan is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women