Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 263
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70418
biomed160570
Yssup Rider59929
gman4452934
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47545
pyramider46370
bambino40322
CryptKicker37081
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35368
Mojojo33117

Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews
Default A threat...

...to make a promise lol. A very long term one

xxxxxxxxxxx
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
Yikes. Sorry. I stand corercted in my initial statement. I mean the level of evidence required to apply for extradition to the US (and other EU countries) is less than the UK.
Ooooooohhhhh. OK. Now I know what you're talking about. This isn't actually about the US-UK treaty. It's about the UK law that implements it.

To bring all the other kids up to speed:

In 2003 the US and UK signed a new extradition treaty to update the one that had been in place for something like 900 million years. (Seriously, I don't remember how old it was but it was way old and out of date.)

In the US the treaty was signed by somebody in the Executive branch and ratified by the Senate and everybody was happy with it. No big deal.

In the UK, however, the Home Secretary didn't want to put it up before Parliament for some reason unknown to people like me not familiar with the inner workings of UK government. Instead of sending it to Parliament for debate and vote, the Home Secretary used something called a "Statutory Instrument" to effect the treaty - and that's where the trouble started.

The Statutory Instrument is roughly the equivalent to our "Executive Order". However, unlike an Executive Order, a Statutory Instrument becomes actual law unless Parliament formally objects to it. The UK uses the SI all the time for enacting minor legislation. They really have to use these things under their Parliamentary system because the Executive Branch isn't much more than the pussy-whipped bitch of the Parliament and the Prime Minister and Secretaries wouldn't get anything done without using the SI.

What's peaving people off in the UK is that 1) the Home Secretary rammed the new treaty through using the SI process much like what the Republicans did with the Patriot Act, and 2) the new US-UK extradition treaty changed wording concerning the level of evidence needed to start extradition proceedings from the UK to the US.

I can't comment on the whole SI thing as I'm nowhere near familiar enough with it to opine on whether it was appropriate or not. I have heard that the new treaty was signed in secret and that Parliament was given only a couple of hours notice of it before being asked to object to the SI. If that's true then I can see why that would piss the opposition off.

What I can say is that the other issue over the extradition language is really a tempest in a teapot. The new treaty calls for the US to present "reasonable suspicion" that a person committed a crime before they can be extradited. The UK, however, has to present "prima facie evidence" of a crime before getting back somebody from the US. Some UK Politicians have made a huge deal over this semantic difference and have whipped up a storm about it over there. In reality the only reason that they wrote it that way was to make it compatible with the legal terms of art normally used in both country's judicial systems.

IMHO it's all a bunch of political hooey.

If there's one truism in extradition law it's that the courts are going to do what they feel like under the circumstances of that particular case. If you go and ask France to send out a suspected Nazi war criminal they'll pack him up and ship him same day. Request a national French hero like Polanski, though, and suddenly there are all kinds of reasons why good ole Roman shouldn't be subjected to such inhumane treatment as the American justice system.

The same holds true with both the US and UK.

The courts in both of our countries are going to look at what the other puts in front of them and do what they think is best regardless of the exact wording of the treaty. If a UK court wants to send somebody to the US they'll decide that there's plenty of "reasonable suspicion" available to do so. If they like the guy and don't want to ship them they'll interpret the language in a way that he gets to stay in the UK. The courts on both sides are going to do what they're going to do regardless of the exact words used in the treaty language.

On top of this is the reality that international extradition is only used in serious cases. The process involves the highest levels of both governments. You don't go bothering the State Department just to yank back a suspected car thief - and you certainly don't go bothering the State Department unless you've got far more than you need to obtain an extradition order from the other country's courts. If you show up to an extradition proceeding without the goods there's a pretty fair chance that you'll not only embarrass yourself but you'll also end up creating a very public international incident that embarrasses your government as well. It's a rare day when an extradition order is turned down for lack of evidence. Just look at the fiasco we created over Polanski and ask if the US is ever going to try something like that again. You need to be able to show something far more than either "reasonable suspicion" or "prima facie evidence" or you're not going to be asking for international extradition in the first place.

So, despite all of the hand waving and outrage among the politicos in the UK, in the end we're talking here about something that might make a difference once or twice every century or so. Both countries are going to do what they want under the treaty no matter what the actual words are. That's just the reality of international law. The headlines will die down in a couple months and the whole thing will go away. I honestly think that if the Home Secretary hadn't rammed it through using an SI nobody would have even noticed. I predict that it'll all blow over before the snow melts next year.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
This is a major problem now for England because terrorists will try and take shelter there...after trying to bomb the place.
This is an interesting take on things that I hadn't considered before.

It's long been the practice of wanted suspects to run for shelter in a country they couldn't be extradited from. The largest and most obvious example of this was the movement of US "draft dodgers" into Canada during the Vietnam War. Under international law you can only be extradited from a country if the crime you're wanted for is also a crime in the country you're currently in. Since Canada had no draft they didn't have a law against draft dodging. Ergo, there was no way for the US to seek extradition of draft dodgers back from Canada.

The EU prohibitions on extradition to countries that still have the death penalty or which are known to practice torture and other inhumane treatments raises a more interesting problem. You're absolutely correct about this being a potentially serious issue. If I was accused of hacking apart my wife in Pakistan I'd for damn sure catch the next plane to London. You would end up sitting in a British jail for the rest of your life but that's a far cry better than what they'd do to you in Lahore.

There are, in fact, a couple of cases where Americans have fled to European countries in order to use the extradition laws to avoid the death penalty back home. The most famous of these was Ira Einhorn who fled to France and avoided extradition for years until Pennsylvania passed special legislation that eliminated the chance of him getting the death penalty and granted him a new trial. It's a doable strategy if you can manage admittance to an EU country before they discover that you're a wanted suspected in the US.

The US, by the way, does a similar thing in some immigration cases. We cannot deport convicted criminals back to their home countries after their sentence is over if the home country won't accept them or they would face political persecution or physical torture back home. Instead we stick them into detention centers or, in some cases, federal prisons where they just sit forever. There are some people who have been in US custody for more than twenty years after their original sentence was completed. If they can't go home and nobody else will take them their only option is to sit in a US jail for the rest of their lives. It's a problem of international law that nobody feels like dealing with.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
The US, by the way, does a similar thing in some immigration cases. We cannot deport convicted criminals back to their home countries after their sentence is over if the home country won't accept them or they would face political persecution or physical torture back home. Instead we stick them into detention centers or, in some cases, federal prisons where they just sit forever. There are some people who have been in US custody for more than twenty years after their original sentence was completed. If they can't go home and nobody else will take them their only option is to sit in a US jail for the rest of their lives. It's a problem of international law that nobody feels like dealing with.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Wait. Am I understanding this correctly? Someone from say Turkey (no offence to Turkey...just picking a none EU country) commits a crime in the US and serves their 20 year sentence in the US. Turkey no longer wants them back...so the US keeps them in jail? They don't go free? Why aren't immigration lawyers/organizations/amnesty international making a big 'old stink about that? I mean, in the UK at least people are making a whole hell of a lot of noise about the lack of extradition opportunities for terrorists etc. I suppose that's a damn good deterrant from commiting a crime in the US in the first place if you are a non citizen but hell that's crazy..and costly. Let them go and there is your stimulus for the economy lol.

Ok....another question now we are on a legal role. The double jeopardy law in the UK is no longer..meaning you CAN be tried for the same crime twice. This came about after the murder of schoolboy Stephen Lawrence(Link to the story below from a blog post I wrote a last year about it...btw...LOOK at the what one newspaper did in response to the acquittal of the suspects...VERY interesting!). Abolition of DJ law...a minefield of future problems OR an available course of action long overdue?

http://chameleonincognito.wordpress....tice-act-2003/
Old 10-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #20
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Wait. Am I understanding this correctly? Someone from say Turkey (no offence to Turkey...just picking a none EU country) commits a crime in the US and serves their 20 year sentence in the US. Turkey no longer wants them back...so the US keeps them in jail? They don't go free?
You got it sister. We've scaled it back a lot from what it used to be, but under certain circumstances the US can still hold an alien in prison indefinitely without a criminal conviction.

Up until 2005 this was true for just about any non-citizen who committed a crime inside the US. If you're not a US citizen and you're convicted inside the US the government automatically has the right to deport you immediately upon your release from prison. If, however, they couldn't find another country that would take you you just got dumped back into jail forever - or at least until they convinced some other nation to let you in. Tens of thousands of people - mostly Cubans who had come over as political refugees - were held for years under this policy with no chance of release because their home countries refused to readmit them.

That changed a little with Supreme Court rulings in 2001 and 2005 when the Court finally stepped up and put some limits on things. After those rulings the US could only hold these people for six months after release on their criminal sentence unless the government could show that there was a reasonable chance that they could be deported sometime in the near future. Even then the government does everything it can to keep people locked away for as long as possible. Most people end up having to go to court to win their freedom even after the Supreme Court rulings. The government usually just keeps people locked up until somebody starts to complain.

Even under the current law the US can still put you away indefinitely without trial and conviction if you can't be deported and the Attorney General certifies that you are a threat to the community or that there's reason to believe that you won't report for deportation if they do find a country that will take you. There are still many people in US custody that have no reasonable hope of ever getting out. US law allows indefinite detention of some suspected criminals even if formal charges are never filed against them.

Every year the US processes somewhere between 300,000 and 500,000 people under the immigration detention laws. There are a couple of hundred detention camps that house them all over the country. More than half are held in state and county prisons where the US leases prison cells from the locals. The gross majority of these people are poor and don't have near enough money for a lawyer to help them out. Many are completely ignorant of US immigration law and don't even know that they can petition for release after six months. In a great number of cases detainees aren't able to contact relatives or friends on the outside for help. They just sit in jail hoping that somebody will eventually let them go. Most of them are actually deported within a couple of weeks after being placed in detention but even if they're shipped out it's usually without ever getting of a hearing or even having the chance to speak to a lawyer about their case.

There are many legal aid groups that work to help these people. Things are starting to change, but it's still a long way from being a perfect system. Every month or so you hear of some guy who just got released after years and years in detention because something went wrong with the paperwork and he just got lost in the system. With all the current political ballyhoo about immigration reform the situation will certainly get worse before it gets better.

Quote:
The double jeopardy law in the UK is no longer..meaning you CAN be tried for the same crime twice . . . Abolition of DJ law...a minefield of future problems OR an available course of action long overdue?
I don't know enough about UK criminal procedure to comment directly on this in the UK system. They have a very different approach to evidence and presentation than we do. It would be an apples and oranges argument to compare what we do here to them.

I will say that under US rules this would be a disaster of monumental proportions for criminal justice in this country. I say this not because I'm soft on crime or think that the truly guilty show walk on technical grounds or because I possess any of the other evil inclinations I'm sure that members of the law and order right-wing on this board are about to accuse me of.

I say it because trying criminal cases twice under the US system almost guarantees that innocent people will go to jail.

If you look at conviction rates after hung jury mistrials (the only time in the US when a defendant can be tried twice for the same offense) you'll see that the prosecution almost always comes out the winner in the second case. The prosecution learns so much about how jurors react to the case from the first trial that it's almost impossible for the defense to succeed in the second. Once a prosecutor knows what a jury thinks about his case he can tailor it for the second trial with devastating effect. I think it's common wisdom among criminal defense lawyers that if you get a hung jury you go for plea deal because your chance of an acquittal in the second trial is almost nil.

Eliminating the double jeopardy rule in the US - which would be almost impossible anyway as it would require an amendment to the Constitution - would pretty much guarantee that nobody was ever acquitted on a criminal charge. The US government would have the power to convict and imprison just about anyone it felt like putting away. An innocent defendant would never stand a chance of surviving a second trial even if he could afford the legal fees to do it. That's about the most scary thing I can think of. That's why we stuck it in the Bill of Rights in the first place.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #21
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Just a follow up to note that the US is not the only country that allows indefinite detention of aliens. Unless things have recently changed down under the Aussies are able to legally detain you for life if you're excluded from Australia and nobody else will have you. There are many foreigners in Aussie jails who will never see the light of day as well.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #22
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Maybe that's the Aussies getting their own back..after the Brits sent all their trash out there lol. LOVE the Aussies though in all seriousness...tremendous people and very very good friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such comprehensive responses to my questions. It is very much appreciated. I might be coming back to you with other obscure legal questions over the next several months lol....

C xxxx
Old 10-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #23
Clerkenwell
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Was there a particular case that you heard about?
The case that has provoked concern over here in England and which may have been what Camille had in mind is the so-called 'NatWest Three'.

These three men were employees of National Westminster Bank, a UK bank, who arranged an investment on behalf of their employer with Enron. The alleged intent was for personal profit at the expense of their employer.

In the mess that followed Enron's demise, many believe these three were targeted for prosecution by US authorities despite (a) flimsy evidence and (b) no actual crime having been committed on US soil.

Further, neither NatWest Bank nor its subsequent owner, Royal Bank of Scotland, claimed any loss against the three men nor pushed for a trial in the UK.

Despite all this, US authorities requested their extradition to Texas and won, causing widespread anxiety here (me included). Regardless of the legal arrangements between the two countries, it smelled of Blair / Brown supine acquiesence to US interests.

So the issue is probably white collar crime as opposed to murder.
Clerkenwell is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #24
Clerkenwell
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Unless things have recently changed down under the Aussies are able to legally detain you for life if you're excluded from Australia and nobody else will have you. There are many foreigners in Aussie jails who will never see the light of day as well.
The whole country is arranged to detain the unwanted. It's a giant prison yard.

Example:

Immigration officer at immigration control at Sydney airport, questioning a man arriving off a flight from England:

'Do you have a criminal record?

Reply:

'I didn't know you still needed one to get in here'
Old 10-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #25
Clerkenwell
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
By that I mean, if PJ (for example) came to London and killed someone and then hopped on a plane to the US, the UK is entirely at the mercy of the US as to whether you decided to send him back to us for trial etc.
He would however be detained without release the moment he attempted to make what he considers a witticism. We have standards.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #26
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
I say it because trying criminal cases twice under the US system almost guarantees that innocent people will go to jail.

If you look at conviction rates after hung jury mistrials (the only time in the US when a defendant can be tried twice for the same offense) you'll see that the prosecution almost always comes out the winner in the second case. The prosecution learns so much about how jurors react to the case from the first trial that it's almost impossible for the defense to succeed in the second. Once a prosecutor knows what a jury thinks about his case he can tailor it for the second trial with devastating effect. I think it's common wisdom among criminal defense lawyers that if you get a hung jury you go for plea deal because your chance of an acquittal in the second trial is almost nil.

Eliminating the double jeopardy rule in the US - which would be almost impossible anyway as it would require an amendment to the Constitution - would pretty much guarantee that nobody was ever acquitted on a criminal charge. The US government would have the power to convict and imprison just about anyone it felt like putting away. An innocent defendant would never stand a chance of surviving a second trial even if he could afford the legal fees to do it. That's about the most scary thing I can think of. That's why we stuck it in the Bill of Rights in the first place.

Cheers,
Mazo.
I don't know for sure, but I thought a person in the US could be tried twice: once by state authorities and once by federal authorities--just so long as the conduct violated both state and federal criminal conduct.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #27
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
I don't know for sure, but I thought a person in the US could be tried twice: once by state authorities and once by federal authorities--just so long as the conduct violated both state and federal criminal conduct.
You are absolutely correct. I did not think to mention that as it falls under the doctrine of dual sovereignty rather than double jeopardy. Two prosecutions are allow under these circumstances because the states and the federal government are separate sovereign entities. The Supreme Court held that the double jeopardy clause of the Fifth Amendment only applies to a second trial by the same sovereign.

In practice it's extremely rare for this to happen. There's not much overlap in the criminal code between the federal government and the states in the first place. It usually only comes up in cases of murder, drug offenses, and serious financial crimes. If it does arise there's usually a deal worked between the state and the feds over who gets to fry the defendant. It's only when whoever gets the first crack completely blows it that the other body steps in to mop up and get the conviction. It's very, very rare for a second prosecution after a conviction in the first.

Even if there is a possibility of dual trials there is an internal review mechanism at the Justice Department that has to be cleared before a federal prosecutor can bring federal charges after a state does. That review, IIRC, requires the final approval and signature of the Attorney General. You'll therefore only see the feds taking a second whack at somebody in the most serious of cases where there's the political will to spend the time and money on two trials and make sure the defendant gets convicted and serves a maximum sentence.

It's interesting to note that this doctrine may get revisited some day. The original Supreme Court opinions that allowed the practice were both very close decisions. I believe that both were 5-4 splits on liberal/conservative lines (sounds familiar don't it?). At lot of legal scholars really don't like this practice - it really is incredibly unfair - and would relish the chance to take it on if the perfect case happened to arise. It's so rare to see a dual prosecution, though, that it's unlikely for that perfect case to ever come up. If it does the feds are equally unlikely to risk overturning the doctrine so they'd probably drop the overlapping federal charges to avoid a direct challenge on appeal.

You never know, though. It could be overturned someday. It's also possible that Congress will step up and fix it too. And it's also possible that pigs will grow wings and fly. You just never know.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #28
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerkenwell View Post
He would however be detained without release the moment he attempted to make what he considers a witticism. We have standards.

That was cute.
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #29
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerkenwell View Post
Regardless of the legal arrangements between the two countries, it smelled of Blair / Brown supine acquiesence to US interests.
Well we are a significantly larger nation than you and we do have a much, much larger nuclear stockpile so I really don't see why you wouldn't acquiesce in anything we tell you to do.

In all serious, you're probably absolutely correct on the political angle. Every international extradition starts with two diplomats sitting down and deciding if they want to go through with it or not. If it was that high profile of a case it's certain to have been kicked up to the highest levels of government.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #30
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write such comprehensive responses to my questions.
Are you kidding? American lawyers love to talk. It's the only thing we really know how to do well.

Thanks for asking things that let me drone on for hours about arcane points of law. It fed my ego and made my day.

Cheers,
Mazo.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women