Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70422
biomed160612
Yssup Rider59951
gman4452936
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47568
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37083
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35400
Mojojo33117

Old 07-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Valued Poster

Default US household income disparity

thoughts? comments?
.. is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Probably the biggest issue facing the United States in the past 30 years. An completely ignored by the MSM.

Here's one of the latest articles that I've seen. It's a favorite topic of mine.

http://www.niemanwatchdog.org/index....groundid=00469
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
oden
Valued Poster

I want to be in the top 1%
oden is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
HoneyRose
Account Disabled

User ID: 112
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Deja vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oden View Post
I want to be in the top 1%
Be careful what you wish for, Oden When the suffering of the poor reaches a peak, the rich have their heads separated from their bodies and their wealth redistributed.
HoneyRose is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRose View Post
Be careful what you wish for, Oden When the suffering of the poor reaches a peak, the rich have their heads separated from their bodies and their wealth redistributed.
May have been said in jest but there is history to back it up.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Laurentius
Valued Poster

Default There are solutions

I don't believe that wealth redistribution via government is an answer to this problem; as there are fundamental issues that underlie income discrepancies to a certain extent that government cannot and perhaps should not address.

However, I believe the massive discrepancies we see today are actually caused by government in large measure. Particularly, they are caused by corporate welfare to favored sectors and/or companies and by regulations that favor companies already in a certain business but create an insurmountable barrier to entry for competitors.

Once government has the power to regulate something; it quite quickly finds itself on the receiving end of bribes in various forms. People use government authority as a means of circumventing the free market and attaining success otherwise unobtainable.

This situation started as far back as the dawn of the new Constitution when Alexander Hamilton told his cronies that IOUs that the government had issued to soldiers and suppliers would be redeemed at full value; but the people who held those IOUs were not informed. So Hamilton's cronies went all over convincing people that the paper was essentially worthless, bought it for pennies on the dollar, and then turned around and redeemed it at full face value a month later.

Nowadays, we find many representatives, when they retire, taking jobs as consultants or lobbyists paying millions yearly for the VERY INDUSTRIES they were regulating while in Congress. Anyone who can't smell a rat is insane.

The solution, then, however paradoxical it may seem -- is NOT to give government more power; but rather to give it less.

In the absence of the ability to do that; an alternative would be to enact legislation based upon distributist principles -- that is, create an upper-limit to the size of any enterprise that cannot be exceeded without it having to split into smaller unrelated enterprises; as well as favoring the creation of ESOP (employee stock ownership) companies.
Laurentius is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

I'd be interested in seeing what that graph looked like if it was median income not average or mean. I'll suggest the numbers are skewed by the enormous incomes of call it the top 1/10th of 1%.

I'd also be interested in seeing what it would look like if it only included active (as opposed to passive) income.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
I'd be interested in seeing what that graph looked like if it was median income not average or mean.
yup, this would be interesting; unfortunately there's no data about it AFAIK.

Quote:
I'd also be interested in seeing what it would look like if it only included active (as opposed to passive) income.
Personally I don't differentiate btwn. active and passive income. It makes no sense to me.

e.g. a landlord may have active and passive income or only passive.

Or what kind of income does a speculator, trader or even a bookie have? passive!? or active because it's a trading position!?
.. is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Default Mean vs. Median

I won't mention the school's name but I still get a chuckle out of this.

Years ago a well known university's dept. of communications boasted in its recruiting literature that its, "Class of 199x Graduates reported an average starting salary in excess of $100,000 per year."

What it failed to note was one of those graduates was a high first round NFL draft pick...that skewed the average just a bit

I think the median would have been about $28K
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing what that graph looked like if it was median income not average or mean. I'll suggest the numbers are skewed by the enormous incomes of call it the top 1/10th of 1%.

Well to give you an idea how much skew there is in those numbers, the entry point into the top 1% was a little over $400K in 2007, versus an average for the group of about $1.3 million (as shown by the graph). Might be one of them high draft picks.

But the other side of the equation that isn't mentioned is that although this group had 22% of all AGI (Adjusted Gross Income), they paid 40+% of all income taxes. So I guess the correct response from the rest of us should be: "Thanks!"

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default No thank you on that one..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
they paid 40+% of all income taxes. So I guess the correct response from the rest of us should be: "Thanks!"

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

Federal Income taxes. Federal. Just in case anyone thinks that is the only taxes we pay.

Reagan lowered the taxes on the rich and raised SS and imposed a gasoline tax. Which affected the middle class and poor. Predictable the Gini coefficient has been on the rise every since. And yes the wealthiest have skewed the average. Most are taxed at the long term cap gain rate. A huge benifit the poor poor rich folks are bestowed by our politicians who get most of their contributions from............drum roll please, the wealthy.

PJ the rich haven't even paid for a war they wanted to fight. You barking up the wrong tree if you think that deserves an atta boy.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Federal Income taxes. Federal. Just in case anyone thinks that is the only taxes we pay.

Reagan lowered the taxes on the rich and raised SS and imposed a gasoline tax. Which affected the middle class and poor. Predictable the Gini coefficient has been on the rise every sense. And yes the wealthiest have skewed the average. Most are taxed at the long term cap gain rate.

PJ the rich haven't even paid for a war they wanted to fight. You barking up the wrong tree if you think that deserves an atta boy.
Yeah that tired argument is like the, "The workers agreed on a wage and we make a profit. It's a win win." That's horse shit.
Say a company has several employees that are skilled and make a good product. They can easily be threatened with many more people that want the job for peanuts.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
Yeah that tired argument is like the, "The workers agreed on a wage and we make a profit. It's a win win." That's horse shit.

What Reagan did is not an argument, it is a fact. He lowered the taxes on the higher earners and through the backdoor, raised it on the middle class and poor.

The correlation is up for debate/argument, I suppose.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Agreed. Its Federal and its Individual Income Taxes which are 45% of total revenue and 70% of non-payroll taxes (which since they fund benefits that are worth more than the taxes [except for the rich] shouldn't be counted).

I've never seen any info on tax/income disparity at the state/municipal level.

pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
The professor would have done well to better acquaint himself with the issue before writing that.

He makes a number of statements that, while true, are relatively inconsequential. Then he fails to even mention the most important factor of all, while assigning blame to events that manifestly have nothing at all to do with rising inequality.

For instance, there's this excerpt:

"That began to change with Ronald Reagan as the tax system put a greater relative burden on the poor and middle class..."

Amazing.

The guy obviously suffers either from ideological bias or complete ignorance of the history of tax bracket structures (or both). Successive rounds of tax-cutting over the last 30 years have lessened the tax burden on the middle class, not increased it. In fact, about 47% of households have been completely relieved of the income tax burden.

Then he completely fails to even mention the rise of free-trade globalism and the extensive de-industrialization of the U.S. economy. Discussing the issue of increasing income inequality without addressing those factors is about like ignoring a 500-pound gorilla sitting in the middle of your living room.
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women