Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > San Antonio > The Sandbox - San Antonio
The Sandbox - San Antonio The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70407
biomed160507
Yssup Rider59911
gman4452920
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47516
pyramider46370
bambino40312
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35336
Mojojo33117

Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
40F Cougar
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 38915
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Exclamation Best Way to Move Cross US With Pets

Well I HATE moving, but am finally moving back to SA, TX from S Cali. It's been a huge decision for me to make, but I hope I don't regret it.
I was wondering if anyone has moved a long distance with cats/dogs and what is the best way to handle it? I have a small SUV seat goes down and will either be renting a truck or hiring a moving company to move my personal belongings . Either way, I want to just transport myself and pets in the car. Any suggestions on how to make this long trip enjoyable for them and for me?
40F Cougar is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Maxx
Valued Poster

Encounters: 17

PL - are your pets a bit hyper? If so you can go to your vet, tell him your moving and your concern on the long drive and he will give you some sedatives to make the trip easier for your pets.
I had a dog years ago (Alaskan Malamute that was a bit hyper), when I moved him from California I got some sedatives for him and he was docile and took the trip easily laying in the back seat or sitting up staring out the window. But it kept him out of my lap. It won't knock them out unless you tell the vet you want to, just settle them down. You can also crate your cats and cover them with a dark cloth and they'll sleep most of the way. Just a thought.
Maxx is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
tallgeese
Valued Poster

For long trips it really depends on how comfortable your pets are in a moving vehicle and what kind of pet you have. Dogs are fairly easy, just crank the AC or lower a window a little and their fine. Cats are different, if they're fine in a moving vehicle you should be okay with them in a carrier or let them walk around inside. They'll find a space to crawl up & sleep eventually after sniffing around. Some pets do get car sick, which from personal experience is not fun for you or the pet. Lots of mess to clean up. If you're not sure if they are do a dry run and take them for a longer ride around where you live and you'll find out. If they are you can see a vet, and they might have pet xanax to give them to calm them down if you want. Stop as frequently as you can and walk them, and plenty of water and food. Any toys and blankets and pillows etc they like should be available too. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. And try not to mind the inevitable mess and smells that come with long travels with your furry friends. Best of luck.
tallgeese is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Jed Clampett
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 41

I've traveled with both dogs and cats before. Dogs are easy because you can stop and walk them on a leash. With cats, you should use a pet carrier large enough for a small litter box to be put inside the carrier. Don't let your cats out for a walk.......they may run off and delay your trip while you try to find them. Only let your cats out when you get inside a motel room. Good luck on your trip.
Jed Clampett is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Precious_b
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 44

yup. make sure you have them well secured if they are out of the car.
don't need to have them end up as critter chow.
Precious_b is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Ramos
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6

Dogs are easy. Mine loved long rides! If your dog is a little hyper you can get some
OTC Benadryl and give it to them 1mg per lb. Unless they have a tolerence to it, that'll calm them down for a few hours.
Cats are another story. Better crate 'em.
Ramos is offline   Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
40F Cougar
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Yes I have Rescue Remedy for Pets and that should calm them down...I won't feed them right before we leave so hopefully won't get sick. I will need to keep the cats in carriers and then when stopping probably put them in the bathroom of the hotel so they don't try to run out if the door is opened. My dogs usually love to ride, but will probably be a bit out of sorts just with the whole move and I will have to crate them while the moving is going on. They should ride well after settling down. It's definitely an experience that I will be relieved when I'm there in SA and it is all over and we are settled in!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
atlfan999
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

moving sucks! i hope I never have to do it again. Good luck to you.
atlfan999 is offline   Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Biggysmalls
Valued Poster

Encounters: 42

Have them stuffed, then unbox them upon your arrival and place on shelf.
Biggysmalls is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Guest083013
Account Disabled

Encounters: 26

remembering a PCS move from Langley AFB, VA to Sheppard AFB without air conditioning in a:

with my SO, a five year old daughter, a three year old Bassett Hound and yes ==> the five year old insisted we bring her pretty large aquarium (WITH FISH). I was so happy to see a sign that read BURKBURNETT.......
Guest083013 is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Precious_b
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 44

Aquarium?!

Well, that probably helped when you hit Texas to cool down.

Don't know what you'd have to tell the kid if the car overheated
Precious_b is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
40F Cougar
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Well we made it here on Thurs, got truck unpacked Saturday, took truck back to Budget today, Sunday, and now I have things to do to get settled in! The animals did better than I expected, especially while we sat out a 5 hour sand storm in NM with the highway closed and we were at a truck stop Took me and my sister 3 days and 2 nights in Motel 6's ugh because they accept pets! LOL But here we are and the pets are getting all adjusted and settled in. Glad I did bring our loveseat as they were so excited to sit on it once we got it unpacked and also, their beds, pillows, blankies, etc. All make it so much more like home for them!
Will start visiting and touring once we get all settled in! Hope to see you soon, please pm me with references so we don't have to wait once I'm ready to Ride! Hugs, PL GFE
Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
mirandalee
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 64619
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Glad you made it here ok and your pets too.. welcome back!!
mirandalee is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
PaganGuy
Valued Poster

When I moved here 3 yrs ago from Norfolk Va, in July, even though my wifes company was covering every detail of the move down to having given us a large sum for airfair and any misc expenses.. it wasnt possible to consider flying with my Golden Retriver and at the time 16 yr old crotchety kitty. I ended up driving the 1600 miles solo with the critters in my van over 2 days, getting a pet friendly motel along the way, and beating the truck with the furniture by a day. My wife and daughter flew down later after everything was ready for em.
Welcome to ya and yer critters.
PaganGuy is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
40F Cougar
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Is really nice to be here, but so much to do still to get settled in. Wow, I'm so ready to start visiting, but first things first. My sister hurt her leg, falling off the back of the budget truck while we were packing:-( Other than that and the 5 hours we had to get off freeway in NM for sand storm.....and the enormous amount of money I spent on gas for 16' truck full to brim and my car while the wind and sand was blowing at us at about 75 mph:-( oh and staying in Motel 6's....the trip was a success! So glad it is over and hope I don't have to do it again any time soon! LOL Will Let everyone know when I'm ready to Rock 'N Roll....Hugs, PL GFE

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women