Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160442
Yssup Rider59883
gman4452907
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47494
pyramider46370
bambino40300
CryptKicker37074
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35287
Mojojo33117

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
GlobeSpotter
Account Disabled

Encounters: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post

Didn't mean to start a book, but you touched on one of my favorite hobbies!
huh?
GlobeSpotter is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #17
Wakeup
Valerie's Mod Husband

Encounters: 4

I don't shoot reloaded cartridges in my sniper rifle that weren't originally shot from it. Rifle specific fire formed brass is always better...
Wakeup is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
john353
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

I have an RL550b that I've had for probably 20 years.

Over that period of time, there is no telling how many rounds that thing has cranked out. Right now it's in mothballs.

I don't reload like I used to, obviously, but when I did...it was rifle ammo for quality and pistol ammo for quantity.

9mm, 40/10mm, 44 spl/mag, 38spl/357, 45...etc.

22-250, 270, 30-06, 300WM, 6.5x284, 25-06

Now I just mainly shoot 9mm, .45, 5.56 (M193 or M855), 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. I don't shoot enough anymore to bother with chasing brass and some of it is steel cased anyway, which is the main reason I have set aside my reloading hobby. Plus, after the last buying frenzy I got tired of trying to find components.

Cool topic!
john353 is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #19
Slitlikr
Valued Poster

Encounters: 72

Getting off topic for a minute - rimfire.

One of my favorite all around cartridges is the .22 mag.
I've sent a ton of critters to happier pastures with this excellent creation including countless deer.

It seems like most of the .17 rimfires are in necked down .22 mag casings.
I see absolutely no use for these hot peashooters for hunting anything but Prarie dogs.
.17 centerfires are a different story - I like them.

It's hard as hell to find .22 mag shells. I wish I could reload them!
Slitlikr is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #20
Wakeup
Valerie's Mod Husband

Encounters: 4

Cheaperthandirt usually has them...just depends on what brand is in stock...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/Produ...aspx?catid=494
Wakeup is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
Slitlikr
Valued Poster

Encounters: 72

Thanks WU.
They have one off brand in stock.
I've been on the waiting list for CCIs, Winchesters and Remingtons here and Midway and a couple other places for over 2 years.

I find a random box or two at Academy, Carters or Gander Mountain.
Got lucky once or twice. My personal stockpile is down to less than 1500. Getting nervous!
Slitlikr is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #22
Powerdrive
Valued Poster

Encounters: 51

Absolutely true. You only have to neck size them usually too. I only have to full length size about every 2nd or 3rd shot. My rifle that I shoot the 55 grain at >4000 fps I have to trim almost every time because the pressure is so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
I don't shoot reloaded cartridges in my sniper rifle that weren't originally shot from it. Rifle specific fire formed brass is always better...
Powerdrive is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #23
Powerdrive
Valued Poster

Reloading is fun for me. The first time my buddy was watching me process my bullets and weighing them, then grouping them... he was like what the hell are you doing?

1 grain different and it gets treated differently. My deer hunting 243 WSSM shoots right at 1/2 moa with my handloads on the 100 grain interlock. My other 243 WSSM from the same manufacturer only likes the hot loaded 55 grains >4000 fps. I messed with powders and seating depth quite a bit before I got the best velocity and grouping possible.

My 300 H&H just doesn't give a shit. It will only shoot 180 grain partitions, compressed IMR 4831 and seated right at the lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I load for all of my rifles, but not as often for pistol. For me, it is all about accuracy that cannot be consistently achieved with factory ammo, not about price. I have always been more intrigued with distance accuracy than the trendy military style rifles spewing hundreds of rounds downrange and high fiving because they were almost all on the paper.

Like WU, I often get up to four reloads out of my brass. However, after the second round of loading I start to get tiny (really tiny) weight discrepancy that causes me to kick some portion of the brass. I weigh the brass after trimming and polishing to make certain it is exactly the same weight because I don't just weigh the charge. I weigh the bullets and the completed cartridge as well so if the trimmed case is off even a little I toss it.

I frequently get requests to load for friends and I'm glad to do it, but only if I keep the rifle while I work a load. It surprises most people when I assure them, and offer to demonstrate, that the same round fired from a similar rifle will not get the same results. It is getting less significant with modern machine tolerance capabilities, but in general there is a big difference. Actually, big difference is relative. If all you want is to kill a whitetail at 100-300 yards or are an average (read - pretty bad) marksman then you would likely never notice. To the point, I have two rifles, in one of my preferred calibers, that are identical in brand and model. The only real difference is two years apart in manufacturing. One likes a load that is really hot. It shoots perfectly when loaded all the way out to the lands and with a slightly compressed charge. The other shoots equally well, but only with a fairly standard load. If I shoot the hot ones in it they spray all over the place. I have experimented through the years with different brands and styles to confirm the same result.

I don't have as much time as in the past so I have a separate set of equipment that is portable and attaches to my shooting bench at the range on my place. It allows me to load one round, test fire, adjust the load and fire another on the spot. Much more efficient than how I did it in the past.

Didn't mean to start a book, but you touched on one of my favorite hobbies!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #24
Cowboy011
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 19

I shoot USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, SASS and an occasional 3-Gun Match. I have two Dillon 650s and a Rock Chucker set-up on my bench. Plus 1 on Wake-up's neck sizing fire formed cased for accuracy. Custom seating deep placing the bullet the optimum distance from the start of the rifling is also an accuracy improving technique that is only obtainable with custom loaded ammo.
Cowboy011 is offline   Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #25
Powerdrive
Valued Poster

I only have a rock chucker unfortunately. I will get a progressive setup once I move into my new house.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #26
boardman
Making Pussy Great Again

Encounters: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitlikr View Post
Thanks WU.
They have one off brand in stock.
I've been on the waiting list for CCIs, Winchesters and Remingtons here and Midway and a couple other places for over 2 years.

I find a random box or two at Academy, Carters or Gander Mountain.
Got lucky once or twice. My personal stockpile is down to less than 1500. Getting nervous!
CCI, Winchester and even the Hornady Critical Defense .22 mag loads have been pretty plentiful at the gun shows recently. Prices aren't stupid either.

If anyone is looking for 22lr I ran across some a few weeks ago(second time this year) at WalMart. Bulk box of 500 Remington Thunderbolt were 20 bucks and change, their normal price. Limit three.
boardman is offline   Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #27
canihitit
Valued Poster

Encounters: 26

I get most of my 223 and 9 from estate sales. Good fishing poles too.

Maybe this is something I should learn before the zombie apocalypse.
canihitit is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #28
Powerdrive
Valued Poster

Just got back from my annual deer hunt in west Texas. I shot a doe from about 40 yards with my .44 mag pistol. Rolled up on the feeder and this parrot mouthed bitch needed to go. Lucky shot? Maybe, but I was aiming for a head shot, and got it. Hit her about 1.5 cm above her eye. Dropped like a sack of rocks and kicked for about 10 minutes. The rest of my kills were uneventful scoped rifle neck shots. The .44 was one of my casted hand-loads though!.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #29
Powerdrive
Valued Poster

It is a useful skill to have..... IJS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canihitit View Post
I get most of my 223 and 9 from estate sales. Good fishing poles too.

Maybe this is something I should learn before the zombie apocalypse.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #30
O'Mike
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitlikr View Post
..................It's hard as hell to find .22 mag shells. I wish I could reload them!
Well there is an option for .22lr reloading. I've never talked to anyone who has tried it, but an interesting idea. Personally I have never got that desperate or bored for .22 to consider spending the money on it. Don't know if it could be adapted to .22 Mag, or if a mag version is in the companies future plans.

http://22lrreloader.com/

I do shoot .22s without powder inside the house from time to time. (Purchased not made) Helps me when I want to try out a new gun that does not have a threaded barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdrive View Post
I only have a rock chucker unfortunately. I will get a progressive setup once I move into my new house.
As far as the rock chucker press, they are a great machine. I've use mine exclusively for my .30 and bigger rifle reloading. It is still as good today as it was 30+ years ago when it was new. It allows you to fine tune the load better than I think you can do on a progressive, plus it's simplicity helps me maintain precision, consistency and more importantly attention to detail.

If you only want to reload 1 pistol caliber, Dillion Square Deal "B" is a good choice for a beginner. It has some limitations, but should be able to keep up with most folks range needs.

As far as reloading and firearms in general there are some good forums out there.

www.texasguntalk.com is a good Texas based one that has some knowledgeable members. More adult related in some aspects, as political threads are allowed.

http://www.thehighroad.org/ has a international membership that is very well versed in the sport and has a good reloading section. This is a family/kid friendly site where moderate to strong politics, language, etc are not well tolerated.

I find those sites a lot better for me than barfdotcom and sniperhide.
O'Mike is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women