Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70387
biomed160320
Yssup Rider59856
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47439
pyramider46370
bambino40288
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35180
Mojojo33117

Old 10-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

User ID: 1650
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default My "E" Drive disappeared...

I've noticed over the last couple months, that sometimes CDs play in my notebook's drive and some don't. So when they don't, I go to WINDOWS EXPLORER and look for the E drive to double click on it. Only problem is, my Explorer only shows C and D.

So sometimes it's worked (meaning I can play the CD) when I open Window Player. But today when I did, all it is showing is the library page....(which I have no music in because I don't download or burn things). I clicked on every choice at the top: file, view, play, tools, etc. and can't find anything to switch it over the display what's in my CD drive.

QUESTIONS:
1). Is there some way to start a CD from the START, RUN thingy? If so, what do I type?
2). Is there some way to bring back my E drive when I open Windows Explorer?
3). Do I need to download some driver or something to get it back? I have no idea why it doesn't come up anymore and why my player works for some CDs but not one every now and then.

I'm using Windows XP and my Media Player version is 11.0.5721.5628

Thanks,
Tia
tia travels is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

It has been my experience that when an issue has exhibited such intermittent behavior like what you have described, the cause is just about always hardware. If you have not already done so, you may consider replacing your CD/DVD drive.

As for your questions...

1. Yes. For music CD's start Windows Media player by double clicking on its icon on the desktop, clicking once on the icon in the Quick Launch area to the immediate right of the Start button, or by clicking Start, then Programs, then Windows Media Player. If the CD is one that contains software to be installed, then you can click on Start, then Run, then the Browse button. Now you can locate the program to run from the CD. It is usually called SETUP.EXE
  2. If the hardware is the cause of the issue, there will not a way to bring it back with Windows Explorer. Deleting the device in Device Manager and then restarting Windows XP to reinstall it may do the trick.
  3. That should not be necessary. Windows XP can access all internal CD/DVD drives on its own. It does not need any external driver.
Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

In your reply to Q2, when you say "reinstall Windows XP" you mean from like starting ALL OVER again with the original disc from the computer? If so, I doubt I have that with me on the road.

I thought (in regard to Q1) that you could click START, RUN, and then something like

d:\run

or something like that.....telling the computer to "run" whichever drive you want. I don't know if I am using the right terminology or slash angles, but....do you know what I'm referring to?

The CDs I'm trying to play are just musical. No programs.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
brutusbluto
Ambassador

Encounters: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tia travels View Post
In your reply to Q2, when you say "reinstall Windows XP" you mean from like starting ALL OVER again with the original disc from the computer? If so, I doubt I have that with me on the road.

I thought (in regard to Q1) that you could click START, RUN, and then something like

or something like that.....telling the computer to "run" whichever drive you want. I don't know if I am using the right terminology or slash angles, but....do you know what I'm referring to?

I wonder if its possible that the disk itself may have a code in it to prevent it from playing on computers. Along the lines of code to keep people from copying the disks. Like a copyright code?
brutusbluto is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

Quote:
No, that is not what I wrote. When I wrote...
Quote:
Deleting the device in Device Manager and then restarting Windows XP to reinstall it may do the trick.
I meant that after you delete the CD/DVD drive from the list in Device Manager, you simply restart Windows in order to install the CD/DVD drivers again. Not install Windows.

Quote:

Audio CD's have nothing on them to run. You must start whatever program you use to play them the way I described.
Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Tex9401

First, she is using a notebook. That means, she has to send the company's repair center or find local shop specializes in notebook repairs.
Now, this brings other issues. First, she is without her machine maybe a week or more. Second, if she takes in to get repair; she will have to backup important info and files, and remove them, so the computer tech does not know about. Third, shop make charge from $100 to $200 for the repair.

Here is cheaper option, since she is just wants to play music CDs, and maybe DVDs.
Try this link: http://www.walmart.com/search/search...rnal%20dvd-rom
It is to Walmart.com for external DVD-ROM starting from $34.78 to $39.33, and she have shipping to her nearest Walmart for free. They have nine different colors to choose. First, she can keep using her notebook until it comes. This is cheaper option than taking to computer shop.
Tex9401 is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
ManOnAMission
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Lot of laptops feature removable media drives so a drive can be replaced or swapped with a second battery pack. You will have to know what model and make to be sure. Now if its a netbook most likely not.
ManOnAMission is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Believe me......I'd NEVER send in my notebook for repair....even if I weren't in this occupation. Note/netbooks are so cheap these days, I'd just get a new one if need be. But getting a new one because I can't play music is silly (and a waste of money), so obviously, I'd just pay 15$ if necessary to get a cheap portable disc player at some truck stop and listen to it next to the computer if I really wanted to listen to "my" music bad, or I'd use Pandora "on" my computer. :-)

I'm still working on this....thanks for the help so far......I'll keep you updated.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
compdude6969
Registered Member

Default My "E" Drive disappeared

I have been seeing this lately. Sometimes you get an error, sometimes not. There are some issues with the registry that need to be resolved.

Tia,

Are you gong to be in the DFW area soon? If so, send me a PM letting me know and I will take a look at your computer for you.

Compdude
compdude6969 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Guest030714
Account Disabled

Encounters: 34

It sounds like a hardware issue to me too. whats happening is you cd rom is dropping out and windows can not see it. it's only doing it occasionally so it could be a driver issue or a connection issue. if you look in windows explorer and your cd rom isnt there that means windows did not see it when it started and therefore windows media player or any program for that matter can not play whatever disc is in there because it doesnt see it. If it does play then you know windows saw your cd drive from the get go. you could take apart the laptop and make sure all the connections are nice and tight, uninstall your cd rom from the devices and then reinstall it like suggested. an external cd player should work fine. also as one member said some cd will not play in a computer. it is a part of their copyright but you would still be able to see them in explorer. personally i just copy all of my cds to my hard drives and play them off that. that way i dont have to switch discs and i have thousands of songs to choose from and can trade with anyone.
Guest030714 is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
pmdelites
consulting for delites

Encounters: 122

maybe your "e" drive ran off w/ your "f" drive for some "x" rated fun???
pmdelites is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Maybe I was spinning my E drive too much that I wore it out from ExcitEmEnt.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
am-a-pleaser
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 24

I had a cd drive go out. I bought a new cd drive, took my laptop apart and replaced old drive. Some cd drives are easier to replace than others. Websites can show you how to do this for your laptop model.
am-a-pleaser is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women