Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59851
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47431
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 03-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Tipping a driver

For the past three years I have been cabbing it every where I go. Now there is a light to end of the tunnel and I will be driving again. Since I know that I will be driving soon I am getting frustrated and less patient.

I use two drivers and rarely have to go through the company to get a cab. Well today I had to call the company. The driver told me that the dispatcher told him that I was a very good tipper. For some reason that didn't sit well with me. So I would like to know what do y'all tip cab drivers. Sure wish I had asked this question a few years ago.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

15% or so.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

I guess I would say...Depends. If it is just a cab ride of a cabby that I called to pick me up...or hailed on the street...or got in at a cab stand...I agree with DG, that it is about 10-15%.

If, OTOH, this is more of a driver or a requested cabby that I knew, or a cabby that had been somewhat helpful and I therefore got his number and told him I was going to call him for my return...I would probably head up to the 20-25% range.

I think it is also somewhat dependent on the fare. For a short trip, I guess I tend to be a bit more generous becuase he spent all the time to come get me, and there wasn't much in the way of fare. But on a longer ($40-50) cab ride, I probably tend to be at the lower end of my scales.

Of course, I can't flash 'em any leg for a discount.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
I am getting frustrated and less patient.
BTW, have you tried a little estrogen supplement?
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Well it seems I have been tipping pretty appropriately, if not a little on the high side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
BTW, have you tried a little estrogen supplement?
grrrrrr you think so much like a man. Not all our moods revolve around being female.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

I'm an unusually high tipper for cabbies. But then, I don't drive, and I want to instill loyalty in the driver when it comes to my calls. I also travel a lot, so it depends where I am. In a fairly big city with good cab service, I tip about 30%. I also try to order cabs the day before, and over the internet if possible. It helps (not perfectly) with timing the cab's arrival to pick me up.

In places where cabs are scarce, I try to latch onto one or two cabbies that will be loyal to me. And the tip seems to be a little higher than in a big city with competition. This doesn't always work. But with everything else, a good tip builds loyalty. (BTW, if your normal fee is $$$$/hr, and a first time hobbyist paid $$$$$$, would you be more likely to make time for him on a second call? Or would you treat him the same as any other client who paid the normal fee?)

But I have a rather unique situation, relying on cabs for transportation. Most don't have it.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
(BTW, if your normal fee is $$$$/hr, and a first time hobbyist paid $$$$$$, would you be more likely to make time for him on a second call? Or would you treat him the same as any other client who paid the normal fee?)
Way to many variables to answer that question.

Quote:
But I have a rather unique situation, relying on cabs for transportation. Most don't have it.
That was my point, I rely solely on cabs for transportation. I wanted to make sure that I have been tipping correctly.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
guest041110
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Ansley,

10-15% is pretty normal for just an everyday cab like DG or RK posted. If you have a special cabbie then I would think 20% or more depending on the particulars of your situation. I never go above 15% when I have gotten a cab just because I am not one to frequently use them since I prefer to drive wherever I go.
guest041110 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
That was my point, I rely solely on cabs for transportation. I wanted to make sure that I have been tipping correctly.
Here's from one website, which is probably correct: http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php
  • Taxi, limo, paid shuttle, or van driver - 15% of the total fare. Up to 20% if the driver helps with the bags or makes extra stops. No less than $1. If someone else is picking up the tab, they are responsible for tipping also. Be careful, the rate quoted for limos often includes gratuity.
  • Driver of courtesy shuttle - $1-$2 per bag if he helps with the bags.
  • Auto dealership shuttle driver - Nothing.
But like I said, I tend to over-tip.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

I do not tip cabbies worth a fuc. Probably some nationalistic prejudice.

But then I hardly ever take a cab.

Quote:
Here's from one website, which is probably correct: http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php
  • . Be careful, the rate quoted for limos often includes gratuity.
-tip.
Damn , I tip the piss outta those boys and girls

Tipping is one of the reasons I quit going to Vegas. My God I hate people sticking their hand out.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Quote:
(BTW, if your normal fee is $$$$/hr, and a first time hobbyist paid $$$$$$, would you be more likely to make time for him on a second call? Or would you treat him the same as any other client who paid the normal fee?)

Quote:
Way to many variables to answer that question.
You mean its not all about the money?
(sorry, just couldn't resist)
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default It's like saying Fuc'n is not all about an orgasm, while true I dare say there ia a matter more thunk about

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
You mean its not all about the money?
(sorry, just couldn't resist)
Well that is the biggest variable by a long shot.

Think about it
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
EmilyHemingway
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 5956
My ECCIE Reviews

Depends. I used cabs a lot in SA but not so much here in CC. If it's one of the cabbies I used regularly, I probably overtipped. Hand over a twenty for a fifteen dollar ride. But then, those guys offer great service. They open doors, help me carry packages to the door, will route their other calls around my errand-running. One fellow in SA would even come out when he wasn't working, just for me. I've always paid well for good service.

The cabbies I don't know, the tip rides on their service. Polite, opens doors, gets me efficiently to my destination - good tip. Sits in his seat like Johnny Bench, tries to take a detour, runs the meter while filling out his log for the last three trips, asks me questions about how my boyfriend is treating me - round to the next dollar.

Just speculating, but if the dispatcher is telling other cabbies you're a good tipper, I'd say you're probably a very good tipper. It does seem a little... creepy, but I imagine the dispatcher was letting the driver know, "Treat this one well, she's earned it."
EmilyHemingway is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
grrrrrr you think so much like a man. Not all our moods revolve around being female.
There, there...
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
The driver told me that the dispatcher told him that I was a very good tipper. For some reason that didn't sit well with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyHemingway View Post
Just speculating, but if the dispatcher is telling other cabbies you're a good tipper, I'd say you're probably a very good tipper. It does seem a little... creepy, but I imagine the dispatcher was letting the driver know, "Treat this one well, she's earned it."
Creepy? Yes. Standard practice for certain cab companies in Atlanta to "bid out" certain potentially lucrative fares? Hell yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
I guess I would say...Depends. If it is just a cab ride of a cabby that I called to pick me up...or hailed on the street...or got in at a cab stand...I agree with DG, that it is about 10-15%.

If, OTOH, this is more of a driver or a requested cabby that I knew, or a cabby that had been somewhat helpful and I therefore got his number and told him I was going to call him for my return...I would probably head up to the 20-25% range.

I think it is also somewhat dependent on the fare. For a short trip, I guess I tend to be a bit more generous becuase he spent all the time to come get me, and there wasn't much in the way of fare. But on a longer ($40-50) cab ride, I probably tend to be at the lower end of my scales.

Of course, I can't flash 'em any leg for a discount.
I'm not a % person either.

I tip more if I know they spend time coming to get me

I tip less (if at all other than a round up) if l know they were just around the corner or I flagged them and they only drive me a mile up the road (particularly if it is a flat fare)

I tip low on a % basis for long fares (e.g to the airport) -- I figure they are getting a pretty good fare anyway.

I tip more for: bad weather, special events, making stops/letting me run errands, or good information

Having a regular driver you can contact directly is worth a 20-25% or more tip.

Two tips for all of you:
1) Carry 1's & 5's so you can pay/tip what you want (don't pay $40 for a $25 ride just because all you have are 20's)
2) Don't be intimidated by pressure (huffing & puffing) for tips. Regular, metered cab drivers are happy with whatever you give them. On the other hand if they see you as a mark they will attempt to guilt you into thinking a generous tip is normal.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women