Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70382
biomed160286
Yssup Rider59846
gman4452863
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47428
pyramider46370
bambino40274
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35144
Mojojo33117

Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

User ID: 1650
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Question MULTIPLE ???s (re: chrome/sound/silverlight/slowness/making D my default drive)

I've got a slow computer and it's making placing ads, reading and responding to email/PMs and such a pain in the butt. I do not believe it has any viruses...but is mainly packed to the hilt and no free space.

I've also got a computer which (from a previous tech thread I made) has an E drive (the CD DRIVE) that doesn't work anymore and recently, my machine's sound has been making noise where it sounds like a SCRATCH effect on any sound (music from Pandora, any youtube, wav files, etc.) like a DJ might make with some vinyl. I think it wants to be referred to as Grandmaster Acer now.

The other day, I unloaded (to make some space since I know I am down to hardly any on my C drive. (I'm divided into 2--C and D). I got rid of Netscape that I don't use anymore, some Adobe stuff, Microsoft SILVERLIGHT I just downloaded but haven't used yet, and a number of screensavers. That opened up some space and I did a defrag that night.

I also wanted to get rid of some CD MUSIC BURNING Program that I think came with my machine that I never use. But I was afraid that if I got rid of something that CAME with my computer, it might mess up something else assuming it might be connected to my sound or the like. Since my CD player/drive doesn't work, that program is useless and by getting rid of it, I really think would help open up more room on the computer.

The DEFRAG didn't seem to help speed up things too much....though reading the HELP section where it explained about DEFRAGGING seemed to be very helpful with new info. I was not aware of.

With the sound starting to falter (and I don't know it's cause) and the lack of CD DRIVE, I'm thinking of just buying another computer but don't want to spend the time getting it set up again....that might take a day or two that I don't think I can afford.

Here are some questions:

1). I was reading this on Google Chrome ( http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html ) which helps explain it. I don't like most things associated with Google (and I don't like what they say on page 9,) but was wondering how many folks use CHROME and are they happy with it? I normally use OPERA and FIREFOX back and forth.
2). Would installing CHROME on my machine take up a huge amount of space again that I just tried freeing up? Could it possibly not help speed things up and perhaps I shouuld just start from scratch again with a new computer but not loaded up with so much stuff?
3). Does anyone know what might be making my sound (is it the sound card?) sound like a rappin' DJ? And how I can fix it or if it sounds like the computer is just dying?
4). SMALL TIDBIT: MY COMPUTER IS ABOUT 5 years old now......man how time flies.
5). Does anyone use SILVERLIGHT and do they have problems with it?
6). How can I change my settings when the computer starts up to automatically be directed to D drive (where I have more free space) instead of C each day? And if I direct it to go to D all the time, any time it needs a screensaver that's on C or a program that's on C......and I click the shortcut to that program (that's on C drive) while I'm on D drive--will it easily access it from C or do I need to copy the programs I use on a reg. basis from C to D?
7). Instead of getting a new computer, do you think doing #6 might help speed things up if I'm working off a drive that has more free space on it?
8). Has anyone used SAFARI on a PC and are they happy with it?

Thanks,
Tia
tia travels is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

Stay away from google.
Stay away from chrome.
Take it (computer) to someone.
Kiss me baby.....Oh yeah right there.
Sorry. I am a man btw.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Tia, What operating system is it? XP or Millenium or Windows 98? What type/model computer?
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

User ID: 1650
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

ACER Aspire 5100-3583....XP

Unfortunately, I won't take it to anyone or any shop for repair. I will either attempt to repair myself or I'll get a new one. I can't afford to have my laptop out of my site/hands.

Marcus...I'm kissing you there....can you feel it? ;-o (Don't be sorry you're a man...I'm not.)
tia travels is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Vyt
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Heh. My advice would be:

Chrome is the browser I use on the PC. It is in general faster than Firefox or IE and is updated frequently. There are some privacy issues involved with Google liking to scoop things up for advertising; I would recommend turning off Browser Sync, though my personal opinion is that the security issues involved are overblown. Chrome takes up very little space compared to anything else on your PC. There are a few sites that won't be compatible with it (very few) but overall it works well.

Honestly, with a computer 5 years old it will be more cost effective for you to get a new PC than to take it in for servicing. You can get one that probably blows the one you're using now out of the water for about $600 or so for anything besides gaming. Your service fee/new sound card/etc will probably run you fairly close to that.

Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Flash and few sites use it that don't have microsoft.com in the URL.

You should be able to install anything to whichever drive you choose. Once it's started up your PC won't care where something is as long as it can see it.

Avoid Safari for the PC, it's not very well-behaved.

Feel free to PM me any follow up questions if desired, I'm kind of a dork.
Vyt is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Vyt
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Oh, it's a laptop? DEFINITELY get a new one. Laptop repair is ridiculously expensive.

I love my Macbook Pro, best laptop I've ever had. But they are pricier.
Vyt is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

As Vyt noted, the laptop is not worth salvaging. I got a pretty robust laptop last June for myself and the SO in November. Both $500 i3 Core Intel chip (M370 @ 2.4 gig buss speed), Win 7 (Home edition is fine), 4 gig of ram, blue-ray DVD player, etc. The wife's I got at Best Buy and is an ASUS. Mine was ordered as an Acer, but since they bought Gateway, that's what was delivered. They are commodities. Do it before the old one gets bad. You can transfer most files easily. Or perhaps a gentleman on this board might be of assistance. I'm in Connecticut if you are nearby.
Guest083011 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women