Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47429
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117
View Poll Results: Has Rick Barnes taken the Horns as far as he can?
Yes 15 46.88%
No 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
sixxbach
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 81
Default Is it time for Rick Barnes to go?

This will seem like it's going to be a pile on but facts are facts. Look at the recent list of NBA talent to go through the 40 acres....

TJ Ford
LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Durant
Daniel Gibson among others

Add two possible first rounders this year too. The best Texas has had in them in the Barnes era is an Elite Eight appearance. Too much top talent to come through for no return. There will be those who argue that the kids leave too early these days, well that is every team. Kansas lost one year all their starters to the NBA and rebounded nicely.

At times, the Horns play like champions, the next, like a glorified street ball team. I am thankful that Barnes has been able to get top talent but in the end its about National Championships. Hell JCovan Brown showed more emotion than Rick Barnes. I wish everyone on Texas had the heart of JCovan Brown. They would be playing Duke if so....

sixx
sixxbach is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
LadiesFan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12

This may sound a little backwards, but I wish that UT would get more talent that would stick around a while and actually play like a team. and less of these 1 and done guys. Its great that UT is a stepping stone into the NBA, but I don't give a shit about the NBA.. I want UT to win a championship.

LF
LadiesFan is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
sixxbach
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesFan View Post
This may sound a little backwards, but I wish that UT would get more talent that would stick around a while and actually play like a team. and less of these 1 and done guys. Its great that UT is a stepping stone into the NBA, but I don't give a shit about the NBA.. I want UT to win a championship.

LF
I agree but the era of the top players staying 4 years has been over for quite awhile now. To me its the coaches job to make these guys mesh as much as possible. It just sometimes kills me the bad shots Texas takes. They are very quick to shoot and take bad percentage shots often.

There are many top college coaches who would love to have the talent Texas has had since 2000.....

Tom Penders took UT to have their program respected at the National Level. Rick Barnes has taken UT to a championship contender. Now I think is the time to find the coach to take them to the top.....

sixx
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxbach View Post
Now I think is the time to find the coach to take them to the top.....

sixx
I doubt that UT can pry him away from Duke!
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
uncle buck 50
Premium Access

Encounters: 30

Go where? He manages to get you into the NCAA tournament every year, and got into the top five in the country the last couple? Who can you get who would be better?

It's hard to get to the final four....ask Jamie Dixon.
uncle buck 50 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
sixxbach
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck 50 View Post
Go where? He manages to get you into the NCAA tournament every year, and got into the top five in the country the last couple? Who can you get who would be better?

It's hard to get to the final four....ask Jamie Dixon.
I think as more as teams are being added to the Big Dance that won't be such a bragging right of a coach anymore.

Big 12 championships...... 0

I think John Calipari would be a great choice.

What does it matter if this year if we flirted with number 1 when we got bounced today? Lack of fundamentals did us in today. That's the fault of the coach....

sixx
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Encounters: 67

Actually the Horns made the Final Four eight years ago. Lost to Carmelo Anthony and Syracuse in the semis.
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
tige1979
Valued Poster

Encounters: 35

It sucks how it ended this season... The team this year was good and I thought they would do some damage in the tourney. I think we should keep Barnes through next season and see what happens. Hamilton and Thompson say they are coming back so he should get a chance to finish out with them. If he stumbles next season then cut him loose and go for someone else.
tige1979 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
uncle buck 50
Premium Access

Encounters: 30

He's not the coach of my team, so don't get the idea that it matters much to me...i'm just sayin that things could really be worse for you orange-bleeding types.

I know a lot of people that don't have UT affilliations that are really shocked that you guys are done, so you're not alone in asking the hard question.
uncle buck 50 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
RALPHEY BOY
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

I am not a UT fan nor a Rick Barnes fan,, but I think UT did a great job getting as far as they did,,, kids do not aspire to play ball at UT,, the want to play for Duke, NC, G-town,
RALPHEY BOY is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Codybeast
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

So is this Miniature golf or Bass fishing we're talking? Goes to show how much I watch and follow sports. How do yall do it?
Yeah I know I'm a penguin sticking his head in a shark tank on this one but I have never been able to get myself to sit and watch a bunch of guys running back and forth throwing a ball
Codybeast is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
bud wiser
Gaining Momentum

Thumbs down

Rick Barnes "ship has sailed" at Texas.
I wish he would go elsewhere. North Carolina St. seems to be a good fit.
They are overhyped and then "run out of gas" at the end of the year. A lot of the players he gets are just using UT as a stop to the NBA which means no teamwork or heart.
bud wiser is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

As a non-UT fan, the only problem I have seen over the years is that his substitution pattern is not well thought out. This year was better than in the past but still not good IMHO.

I agree that it's tough to coach in today's college bb world -- get a blue chip player and he will probably be gone in 1, maybe 2, years. Think Harrison Barnes of UNC will be back next year? Kentucky lost their whole team last year and I think only one was a senior. Would you rather Barnes didn't go after the best talent available?

This year's team had no center, a starting point guard who couldn't shoot, players who at times didn't realize there were 4 other players on the court at the same time, poor free throw shooting, etc.
SpeedRacerXXX is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Encounters: 67

Barnes has always been a "renter." When he did have a nucleus that stuck around, the team went farther than normal.

I think schools like Findlay Prep should be outlawed. All they do is prepare kids to play basketball, spent the required year in the NCAA and then off to the pros. Puts no value on anything other than making the NBA. What chance to college programs have?

Avery Bradley was so hyped coming out of "high school," Findlay Prep, was a tremendous bust as a freshman at UT and is still playing for the Boston Celtics when he ought to be on the 40 Acres studying "education."

I think Barnes gets the short end of the stick because he doesn't keep the good ones longer than a year -- unless, like LaMarcus Aldredge, they get hurt as freshmen. I guarantee that if Gary Johnson was 6-8 he'd have been gone a long time ago.

Granted, he brings that on himself, but how can you manage, let alone coach, a team of freshmen and sophomores?

If the NBA were to put an age minimum of 21 on eligibility, you'd see better college basketball ... and you'd see UT in the final 4. Again.
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Guest060211-3
Account Disabled

Encounters: 25

Great conversation topic

My opinion is he needs to stay. Look at the talent he brings in
Barnes is one of the best teachers of the game.

I usually side with the refs but that was a four second count all day long not only that he seemed to count faster after he got to three. The count starts with the motion of the arm not when he hands him the ball.

Keys keep barnes around here a little longer, I like the fact he let his players talk freely after the game.
Guest060211-3 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women