Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 263
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 247
Top Posters
DallasRain70407
biomed160524
Yssup Rider59911
gman4452924
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47518
pyramider46370
bambino40312
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35341
Mojojo33117

Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
phatdaty
Valued Poster

Encounters: 18
Default SWISS TEXANS?

Anybody else watching 60 Minutes pissing and moaning about all these Houston energy firms moving six or seven employees over to Geneva and counting that as their corporate headquarters to dodge taxes?

When will the Washington dumbasses figure out that they created this situation. The reality is that the threshold for taxes is right about 17%???

They keep raising tax rates while every other country is lowering the rate and courting our companies?

If they would lower the taxes to a fair rate, there would be no exodus and tax revenue would INCREASE!

Instead, they pass law after law, make the tax code even thicker and more convoluted, and then raise it again to make up for the exodus.
phatdaty is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatdaty View Post
If they would lower the taxes to a fair rate, there would be no exodus and tax revenue would INCREASE!
Ah, the Wal-Mart business model for government. Sounds like a plan. It's worked for WM.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

Has anyone been to a bank in Grand Cayman?
No more hiding boys and girls.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
When will the Washington dumbasses figure out that they created this situation. The reality is that the threshold for taxes is right about 17%???
Word! For individuals as well.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Whew. Jesus.

When I saw "Swiss Texans" I thought for a minute that somebody was mating them. God would that be a terrifying combination.

You scared the crap out of me phatdaty.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

Quote:
Anybody else watching 60 Minutes pissing and moaning about all these Houston energy firms moving six or seven employees over to Geneva and counting that as their corporate headquarters to dodge taxes?
Can you elaborate this for me. From my knowledge i don`t understand how this is possible. They dodge taxes how? BEcause they send americans to Geneva for work? The USA is in the lucky position to have the right to demand taxes from their citizens no matter where they work on the planet. I had europeans giving up their Greencard for that reason.

The dollar is same as swiss frank. But the taxes? are they not about the same. Sorry if i sound stupid, but i miss the logic here, so i`d like to have a long version for the short-wired people ;-)) thanks
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninasastri View Post
Can you elaborate this for me. From my knowledge i don`t understand how this is possible. They dodge taxes how? BEcause they send americans to Geneva for work? The USA is in the lucky position to have the right to demand taxes from their citizens no matter where they work on the planet. I had europeans giving up their Greencard for that reason.

The dollar is same as swiss frank. But the taxes? are they not about the same. Sorry if i sound stupid, but i miss the logic here, so i`d like to have a long version for the short-wired people ;-)) thanks
Where the hell were you 20 years ago nina? Dang.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:

See my post #16 in this thread...still a short version

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=196838&page=2

Sure the US can tax US Citizen Personal Income, but that is small potatoes for a large corp avoiding Corporate Income Tax (just for Doove I'll bold both)

Now as a disclaimer I didn't actually hear the piece as I was in a bar with the sound down follow the basketball game, but I think I got the gist of it...

If I'm not mistaken, the wrinkle here was 60 Minutes walked in on one of these "HQ's" and there was nothing but a bunch of junior employees as window dressing. (Read my other post and the following will make more sense) To be a legitimate (meaning legal, not making a right or wrong judgement) tax shield, the decison making actually has to take place there, it can't just be junior employees and a fancy office.

The Swiss love this and appreciate that a small % of a big number is better than a large % of a small number
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
phatdaty
Valued Poster

Quote:

I'll try to give you the Reader's Digest Version:

Most countries charge between 12 and 15% for corporate taxes. The US has been steadily increasing their rate--right now it is about 35%.

These taxes only apply if your company is "based" in the US. So one loophole (there are many mostly because the tax laws are really fouled up and overly verbose managing to be both specific and vague) is to simply open your world headquarters, with a skeleton crew as the CEOs and workforce doesn't leave, they just send enough to maintain the appearance within the law, in a country that has a more favorable tax rate and other perks.

So the our politicians, refusing to believe they are wrong, keep pushing companies out, and raising the rates on those that remain. The kicker is, the more lucrative companies can afford these moves, while the ones that can't get penalized to the point of bankruptcy.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
phatdaty
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post

The Swiss love this. . .
Apparently so does Ireland and Canada.

Come to think about it, don't cruise ship companies do this with their registry of ships all the time? I think I read somewhere that they sail under a different flag to for cheaper rates and less restrictive codes.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Lovely Victoria
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 12025
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:

I've not seen this 60 Minutes segment, but my guess would be that having a Swiss headquarter allows these Texas companies to shift their profits out of the U.S. and into Swiss. I'm sure they still pay taxes on their effectively connected income in the U.S., but they are probably arguing that a good chunk of their profit was generated in their head office.

What is the corporate tax rate in Swiss btw?
Lovely Victoria is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

My ECCIE Reviews

Vickie!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Vickie?
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

My ECCIE Reviews

:P
Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
phatdaty
Valued Poster

Damn, did a supermoderator just hijack my thread and go off topic?

LOL!

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women