Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70373
biomed160247
Yssup Rider59828
gman4452859
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47416
pyramider46370
bambino40271
CryptKicker37060
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 04-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
hazmat
Valued Poster

Encounters: 35
Lightbulb Let's Put COVID-19 In Perspective

According to the CDC numbers that came out at noon today 5,443 Americans have died of COVID-19 since this thing started.

Do you realize on average 1,700 Americans die of heart disease EVERY DAY? 1,500ish die of cancer EVERY DAY! It doesn't make people exercise or eat right does it? It doesn't make people stop smoking, or didn't for years. Yet you expect people to respond to a disease that kills 1% of those infected? Most get mild symptoms unless old or infirm.

Pssht! Keep dreaming those big dreams, have a Big Mac and a Marlboro.
hazmat is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
CatMan4u
Premium Access

Encounters: 51

Just have a hot snatch lunch
I mean snack lunch
CatMan4u is online now   Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
CatMan4u
Premium Access

Encounters: 51

Just have a hot snatch lunch
I mean snack lunch
CatMan4u is online now   Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
MonKD
Registered Member

Encounters: 1

So the current best-case scenario is that between 100,000-240,000 people. In America will die as a result of Covid-19. Just doing some basic math with regard to the estimated mortality rate (1-3.5%) assumes that everyone will get it at some point. So the goal of social distancing is to ensure that we're not taxing out hospital systems to the point where providers have to decide who gets care and who doesn't because we don't have the facilities to care for everyone simultaneously. Yes a lot of people die from cancer and heart disease, but most don't die within two weeks of diagnosis and you're not guaranteed to have either and individuals hospitalized with both will be competing for hospital rooms with people with COVID-19, and some will die because of it.

I say that to say this...what a horribly selfish approach. The number of people you can and will infect is tremendous if you don't take this seriously. And you will be responsible for someone's death if you spread it so cavalierly.
MonKD is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
MonKD
Registered Member

Encounters: 1

So the current best-case scenario is that between 100,000-240,000 people. In America will die as a result of Covid-19. Just doing some basic math with regard to the estimated mortality rate (1-3.5%) assumes that everyone will get it at some point. So the goal of social distancing is to ensure that we're not taxing out hospital systems to the point where providers have to decide who gets care and who doesn't because we don't have the facilities to care for everyone simultaneously. Yes a lot of people die from cancer and heart disease, but most don't die within two weeks of diagnosis and you're not guaranteed to have either and individuals hospitalized with both will be competing for hospital rooms with people with COVID-19, and some will die because of it.

I say that to say this...what a horribly selfish approach. The number of people you can and will infect is tremendous if you don't take this seriously. And you will be responsible for someone's death if you spread it so cavalierly.
MonKD is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
royamcr
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Included in those Heart Disease and Cancer stats are people in their 70s and 80s that had heart disease and cancer for many years. When they die the stat just gets attributed to Heart Disease or Cancer. Most of the 3000 per day don't just drop dead with no prior indications.
royamcr is online now   Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #7
TailHooked
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Well I haven't hobbied since the lockdown. I still have to work and interact with the public. I go to home improvement stores and grocery stores. I would think I have a better chance of catching it getting a gallon of milk. The thousands of people who have been in that store, pose a greater risk to me, than a provider. Unless she is seeing all the people, who also got a gallon of milk.

I am not sure why there are hot spots. California seems to be doing rather well. With a large population and large cities. I am sure the hobby didn't take a holiday there. Time will tell but unless you are hermetically sealed, you will cross paths with someone who might have it. Even with the best practices.
TailHooked is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #8
TailHooked
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Well I haven't hobbied since the lockdown. I still have to work and interact with the public. I go to home improvement stores and grocery stores. I would think I have a better chance of catching it getting a gallon of milk. The thousands of people who have been in that store, pose a greater risk to me, than a provider. Unless she is seeing all the people, who also got a gallon of milk.

I am not sure why there are hot spots. California seems to be doing rather well. With a large population and large cities. I am sure the hobby didn't take a holiday there. Time will tell but unless you are hermetically sealed, you will cross paths with someone who might have it. Even with the best practices.
TailHooked is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:40 AM   #9
Enchanterlingum
Valued Poster

There are a lot of "people control" measures being put forward in the name of health that would be otherwise completely unacceptable. The entire landscape of society is being changed over night through social engineering. Lock people in their houses, make them afraid of one another, and keep them dependent on the government for their safety at the cost of their liberty.

It's also pretty interesting to me that here you have this mystery illness that comes out of nowhere, yet within a fairly short amount of time a cure is identified and rapidly advanced through drug trials. To me, it seems a little more than coincidental. Personally, I think it was a Chinese bioweapon that got loose somehow. The essential part of having bioweapon program is having the cure identified for yourself.
Enchanterlingum is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:10 AM   #10
hazmat
Valued Poster

Encounters: 35
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonKD View Post
Putting the current situation in perspective, and being skeptical about compliance is not the same thing as not being callous with others' lives. Implying that it is the same is an ad hominem red herring, a dick move.

Some are busy trying to engineer the risk, suffering and death out of human life. Well, the human condition is not setup that way. It doesn't work. Everyone is going to suffer. Everyone is going to die. In the 21st century some have become very remote from those facts much of the time. Perhaps it is not altogether a bad thing that we are reminded. This will be a gentle reminder compared to something like the Spanish Flu.

Also, risk mitigations have costs. How many have lost their livelihood and how many businesses will never re-open? Are we amplifying the harm by shutting down the economy or reducing it?
hazmat is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
HoustonRiley
Texas Tornado

User ID: 167370
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Agree with you 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonKD View Post

HoustonRiley is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Herald1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

If you like to be informed by data, these charts can help a lot:
https://informationisbeautiful.net/v...phic-datapack/
Herald1 is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #13
Chalkster
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 5

650 people in New York died in a 24 hour period, and that's with social distancing and stay at home orders in place. In your perspective, how many would people in New York would die at the peak if this were treated as nonchalantly as heart disease? 10,000?
Chalkster is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #14
kuhoplite
Valued Poster

Encounters: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanterlingum View Post
There are a lot of "people control" measures being put forward in the name of health that would be otherwise completely unacceptable. The entire landscape of society is being changed over night through social engineering. Lock people in their houses, make them afraid of one another, and keep them dependent on the government for their safety at the cost of their liberty.

It's also pretty interesting to me that here you have this mystery illness that comes out of nowhere, yet within a fairly short amount of time a cure is identified and rapidly advanced through drug trials. To me, it seems a little more than coincidental. Personally, I think it was a Chinese bioweapon that got loose somehow. The essential part of having bioweapon program is having the cure identified for yourself.
This is a galactically stupid take on current events.
kuhoplite is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:10 AM   #15
Fsn57
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkster View Post
650 people in New York died in a 24 hour period, and that's with social distancing and stay at home orders in place. In your perspective, how many would people in New York would die at the peak if this were treated as nonchalantly as heart disease? 10,000?
That's kind of hard to say because the effectiveness of social distancing will vary based upon how dense the population is. In rural MO, social distancing will be a lot more effective since the population density is so much lower than in NYC. Social distancing in NYC still doesn't keep everyone inside. They still have to go out for all sorts of reasons, thus continuing to spread the virus. While it helps to some extent, it's just conjecture to guess how many would die otherwise.
Fsn57 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women