Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 267
George Spelvin 253
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70486
biomed161081
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453050
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47790
pyramider46370
bambino40452
CryptKicker37108
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Default Honoring Vietnam veterans: Help us put a face on sacrifice

I hope we can agree on this... read a few of the comments.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...ntcmp=features

Honoring Vietnam veterans: Help us put a face on sacrifice

By Mark GreenPublished July 14, 2014FoxNews.comFacebook322 Twitter93 livefyre61

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncsta....jpg?ve=1&tl=1

The genius of Maya Lin’s design for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial -- “The Wall” -- is the visitor’s overwhelming sense of loss. The names of the dead, on 140 black granite panels, appear infinite in number.

It has been 32 years since The Wall was dedicated. It has become a place of healing, where Americans could separate the sacrifice of the warriors from what had become America’s most unpopular war.

Back then, a young veteran, Jan Scruggs, took $2,000 of his own money and began raising the $8.4 million in private contributions to build what has become one of Washington’s most visited monuments, attracting 4.4 million Americans in 2011 alone, according to the Washington Examiner.

Perhaps you grew up with somebody who died in Vietnam, or knew one of these individuals in school. If so, you can truly honor their sacrifice by taking a moment to look through your old photos and yearbooks.

Scruggs has now embarked on a new effort, one that will enable future generations to fully appreciate the sacrifice of those who gave their lives. Scruggs’ idea is to put faces to the names at a new Education Center that will be located between The Wall and the Lincoln Memorial.

The Education Center, Scruggs hopes, will be a place where visitors will be able to remember these 58,300 men and women for what they were -- living, breathing human beings, not just names carved into black granite.

The Education Center will display some of the more than 100,000 items that loved ones have placed at The Wall over the last three decades -- some touching, some funny, all deeply personal.

The Center will include a multimedia presentation where, organizers hope, visitors will be able to learn more about our fallen and all they sacrificed when they gave their lives.

Scruggs is no stranger to formidable tasks, but he’s come upon an obstacle that few would have predicted.

It has now been nearly four decades since the last American died in the Vietnam War, and photographs of the fallen are getting very difficult to find. Of the 58,300 who gave their lives, organizers have been able to locate about 36,000. Unless the others are found, the faces of these brave Americans may be lost to history, forever.

Throughout the nation, in attics, scrapbooks and yearbooks, there are photographs of each of the 58,300 young men and women who died all too soon, in our name.

These brave men and women grew up in the Kodak generation. There were snapshots taken at sporting events, proms, graduations, holidays and birthday parties; home movie cameras lovingly filmed them as they opened their presents, enjoyed family barbecues, worked on their cars or ran with their dogs.

There are 1,295 Tennesseans whose names are inscribed on The Wall. I am grateful that my Tennessee Senate colleagues have joined the mission to locate the remaining 699 photos. I hope my fellow state legislators across the country will do the same in their states.

These are the photographs and films that, organizers hope, will give our children a glimpse into the lives of the names on The Wall -- a window into all they left behind.

Perhaps you grew up with somebody who died in Vietnam, or knew one of these individuals in school. If so, you can truly honor their sacrifice by taking a moment to look through your old photos and yearbooks.

If you are able to locate snapshots of a soldier who lost his or her life in Vietnam, please visit the website of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Foundation, www.vvmf.org, to submit the photo.

Your long-forgotten snapshot might ensure that generations to come will remember your friend or relative as more than just one of an infinite number of names.

Dr. Mark Green, M.D., a decorated special operations flight surgeon, is a member of the Tennessee State Senate.
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 AM   #2
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Credit where credit is due! Thanks IIFFY for a very good thread!

I have been to The Wall numerous times. I have a few regular names that I will always visit. I didn't realize that there were so many individuals who were reportedly killed whose names were not included on the wall.

I can only recall being unable to locate one individual who I was almost certain his name should have been on the Wall. At the time, I thought he must have actually survived even though I was fairly certain that I heard he did not survive. Other than that, I have always been able to locate the individuals I was searching for.

A possible source of information would be the Army Times. It had a regular column listing those who were reported as KIA during that particular week. I feel quite certain that the other branches of service had something similar.
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
LexusLover
Valued Poster

http://www.mrfa.org/vnstats.htm
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Encounters: 67

I, too, have visited the wall în DC a number of times, along with a few of the "mini" walls that have toured.

It still seems so desperately surreal to me after more than 40 years...
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

There are 2 names on the Wall from my high school.

That is a pretty high percentage when you think about it.

I am in contact with a few Vets from my era who, like me, were wounded pretty bad but got past it and got on with life.

Keep in mind, many of us did not ask for any of it. We did not volunteer, we were not looking for a way to pay for college through some type of post military plan.

They wrote us a letter, and took us away, gave us what amounted to a minimum amount of training, and then sent us to a place where we had no business being.

I have been to The Wall once. I will never go back.
Jackie S is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post
You are not by alone because there is no right or wrong way to deal with The Wall. Everyone has their own level of tolerance that is unique to only them.
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

I hope the Education center becomes a reality. I think the Vietnam War was the ultimate turning point for America. Great thread!!
Jewish Lawyer is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

What they didn't learn in Korea, was repeated in Nam and every conflict since.
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post
There are 2 names on the Wall from my high school.

That is a pretty high percentage when you think about it.

I am in contact with a few Vets from my era who, like me, were wounded pretty bad but got past it and got on with life.

Keep in mind, many of us did not ask for any of it. We did not volunteer, we were not looking for a way to pay for college through some type of post military plan.

They wrote us a letter, and took us away, gave us what amounted to a minimum amount of training, and then sent us to a place where we had no business being.

Well said.
SpeedRacerXXX is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'va biggen View Post
What they didn't learn in Korea, was repeated in Nam and every conflict since.
We might as well stay out of other people's business, it hasn't helped the world much. Better to just give money to strong allies to fight as our proxy.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

The Wall that Obama purposely shutdown to make cheap political points ?

Obama is a despicable POS.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
The Wall that Obama purposely shutdown to make cheap political points ?

Obama is a despicable POS.
You are referring to the same wall!

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women