Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160433
Yssup Rider59883
gman4452905
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47488
pyramider46370
bambino40300
CryptKicker37074
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35278
Mojojo33117

Old 03-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
The_Waco_Kid
AKA ULTRA MAGA Gurl

Encounters: 1
Default Is it racist to call coronavirus the ‘Wuhan Virus’? GOP congressman’s self-quarantine tweet sparks a debate.

Yep. you knew this was coming. those stinky chinks and their shithole nation polluted from Beijing to Hong Kong caused thus virus with their pathetic food processing and now it's racist to call it the "Wuhan Virus". right!

Is it racist to call coronavirus the ‘Wuhan Virus’? GOP congressman’s self-quarantine tweet sparks a debate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...n-virus-gosar/

By Antonia Noori Farzan

March 9, 2020 at 7:19 a.m. CDT

On Sunday night, Rep. Paul A. Gosar (R-Ariz.) announced he would self-quarantine after having “sustained contact” with a Conservative Political Action Conference attendee who has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Many praised the controversial Arizona congressman, who along with Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) is one of two members of Congress in isolation, for taking precautionary measures despite not showing any symptoms. But many more objected to his choice of words: On his personal Twitter account, Gosar called covid-19 “the Wuhan Virus."

“While I appreciate you self-quarantining and making a responsible decision, you don’t need to throw out dogwhistle racist terms while you do it,” said one typical response.

Cruz, Gosar say they interacted with CPAC patient and will self quarantine

Paul Gosar

@DrPaulGosar
·
Mar 8, 2020

1. I am announcing that I, along with 3 of my senior staff, are officially under self-quarantine after sustained contact at CPAC with a person who has since been hospitalized with the Wuhan Virus. My office will be closed for the week.

Eugene Gu, MD

@eugenegu

Most people call it the coronavirus. Some call it Covid-19. But only the most ignorant and racist among us would call it the Wuhan virus.

9:05 PM · Mar 8, 2020

3.7K people are talking about this

After the disease caused by coronavirus was first detected in Wuhan, China, in December, many media outlets, including The Washington Post, referred to it as the “Wuhan virus.” Then, in February, the World Health Organization named the illness covid-19, an appellation that was deliberately chosen so that it wouldn’t stigmatize a specific place or group of people.

Though the virus has spread far beyond Wuhan, some U.S. officials are still clinging to the old nickname. Last week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo raised eyebrows by referring to the “Wuhan virus” after China’s foreign ministry called it “highly irresponsible” to do so. When Gosar followed suit on Sunday night, he was quickly labeled racist and xenophobic.

“I will pray for you, your staff & the person hospitalized,” responded Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) “Also, calling #COVIDー19 the Wuhan Virus is an example of the myopia that allowed it to spread in the US. The virus is not constrained by country or race. Be just as stupid to call it the Milan Virus.”

World Health Organization (WHO)

@WHO

Mar 2, 2020

Replying to @WHOStigma can drive people away from seeking help by getting screened, tested and quarantined http://bit.ly/32HZe0q #COVID19 #coronavirus

World Health Organization (WHO)

@WHO

When talking about #COVID19, certain words & language may have a negative meaning for people and fuel stigmatizing attitudes http://bit.ly/32HZe0q #coronavirus

DO - talk about the new #coronavirus disease (#COVID19)

DON'T - attach locations or ethnicity to the disease, this is not a “Wuhan Virus”, “Chinese Virus” or “Asian Virus”. The official name for the disease was deliberately chosen to avoid stigmatization http://bit.ly/32HZe0q

The official statement released by Gosar’s office on Sunday used the term “covid-19,” and spokesman Ben Goldey told The Post that the congressman’s decision to call it the “Wuhan virus” in a tweet from his personal account “did not have some sinister undertone or meaning.” Meanwhile, conservative commentators have aggressively defended the nickname by pointing out that it was widely used in media coverage until about a month ago.

Michelle Malkin

@michellemalkin

THREAD Newsflash for virtue signaling ninny @chrislhayes & moron mob attacking @drpaulgosar - There are THOUSANDS of entries of mainstream news outlets including NBC, referring to "Wuhan Virus," as well as ASIAN media itself & top medical institutions calling it Wuhan Virus. /1

Chris Hayes

@chrislhayes

Just astoundingly gross to call it the Wuhan Virus. https://twitter.com/DrPaulGosar/stat...21135964004352

9:22 PM · Mar 8, 2020

As Goldey pointed out in an email to The Post, there’s a long history of naming diseases after the place where they were discovered. Ebola was first detected in a village in the Congo that’s near the Ebola River. Researchers studying mosquitoes in Uganda’s Zika Forest were the first to identify the Zika virus. The first people to show symptoms of Lyme disease were clustered around Lyme, Conn.

But public health officials are increasingly concerned that this naming convention can have devastating economic consequences, and lead to discrimination against people who are perceived as disease carriers because of their race or ethnicity.

“Now we have a much different sensibility and tolerance about how we refer to things,” Howard Markel, a medical historian at the University of Michigan, told the Associated Press last month.

In 2015, the WHO issued new protocols for naming diseases. The updated guidelines prohibit any references to geographic locations and animals (“bird flu”) or groups of people (“Legionnaires’ disease.”)

“We’ve seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals,” said Keiji Fukuda, then the WHO’s assistant director-general for health security. “This can have serious consequences for people’s lives and livelihoods.”

After the coronavirus outbreak began in December, it took weeks for the WHO to find a name that would adhere to the new criteria, and also be easy to pronounce. In the meantime, the agency suggested using “2019-nCoV” as a temporary stand-in.

“I’m sure you have seen many media reports that are still calling this, using the name Wuhan or using China,” WHO epidemiologist Maria van Kerkhove explained, according to Reuters. “We wanted to ensure that there was no stigma associated with this virus, and so we’ve put out this interim name.”

On Feb. 11, the WHO settled on covid-19. But during a news conference and appearances on CNBC and Fox News last week, Pompeo repeatedly referred to the disease as “the Wuhan virus” and “the Wuhan coronavirus."

Gosar used similar terminology on Sunday, when he announced he and three senior staffers had extended contact with an individual who tested positive for covid-19 after attending CPAC last month. Some critics speculated the Republican congressman was trying to deflect attention from the Trump administration’s mishandling of the crisis by directing the blame at China.

Chris Hayes

@chrislhayes

Just astoundingly gross to call it the Wuhan Virus.

Paul Gosar

@DrPaulGosar

1. I am announcing that I, along with 3 of my senior staff, are officially under self-quarantine after sustained contact at CPAC with a person who has since been hospitalized with the Wuhan Virus. My office will be closed for the week.

8:40 PM · Mar 8, 2020

17.2K people are talking about this

G O L D I E.

@goldietaylor

Mar 8, 2020

Remember when it wasn’t okay to publicly announce your racism?

Paul Gosar

@DrPaulGosar

G O L D I E.

@goldietaylor

He casually renamed it “Wuhan Virus” as a specific way of demonizing people of Asian descent. Their treating COVID-19 like an invasion for a reason.

8:46 PM · Mar 8, 2020

Goldey denied any ill intent, telling The Post, “Nobody is assigning ‘blame’ to any person or people group, the focus is responding to the virus and ensuring the health and safety of Americans.” Like many of Gosar’s defenders, he noted there are numerous examples of media outlets using the term “Wuhan virus.” (Most of those examples date from January and early February, and the U.S. media appears to have abandoned the nickname after the WHO officially named the disease “covid-19.”)

“Ignore the snowflake Leftists who think everything is racist,” Gosar wrote on Sunday night. “It’s a virus. It doesn’t care about your race.”

Paul Gosar

@DrPaulGosar

@michellemalkin dunks. A virus has no race or religion. This one is worldwide. Any leftists who think talking about a virus is racist need to check themselves. Wuhan Virus is the name used in popular discourse. Corona Virus or COVID 19 are technical. All are acceptable.

Michelle Malkin

@michellemalkin

THREAD Newsflash for virtue signaling ninny @chrislhayes & moron mob attacking @drpaulgosar - There are THOUSANDS of entries of mainstream news outlets including NBC, referring to "Wuhan Virus," as well as ASIAN media itself & top medical institutions calling it Wuhan Virus.

Meanwhile, late Sunday night, #CPACVirus began trending on Twitter.

“Yes, we’re sorry @DrPaulGosar, but if you refuse to use the medical terms and insist on using a place to describe the virus, then “Wuhan Virus” — which I’m sure you didn’t pick to be racist! — won’t work,” wrote attorney Max Kennerly. “We can’t trace your outbreak’s source that way. No, you have ‘CPAC Virus.’”
The_Waco_Kid is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
gnadfly
Account Disabled

What about "Kung Flu?" Racists?
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
The_Waco_Kid
AKA ULTRA MAGA Gurl

and on and on it goes ..

'Wuhan Virus' Trends After Congressman Ted Lieu Condemns Republican Paul Gosar for Calling Coronavirus 'Wuhan Virus

https://www.newsweek.com/wuhan-virus...avirus-1491140

he phrase "Wuhan Virus" began trending across the United States on Sunday evening after Democratic Congressman Ted Lieu condemned Republican Congressman Paul Gosar for calling the novel coronavirus the "Wuhan virus."

Gosar, along with Republican Senator Ted Cruz, announced earlier today that they will be undergoing 14 days of self-quarantine after both coming into contact with an individual at CPAC who later tested positive for COVID-19. In a statement shared to Twitter, Gosar said that he, along with 3 of his senior staff, are officially under quarantine after "sustained contact at CPAC with a person who has since been hospitalized with the Wuhan Virus."

In response, Lieu, who was born in Taiwan, said Gosar's choice of the term "Wuhan Virus is an example of the myopia that allowed it to spread in the US."

"The virus is not constrained by country or race. Be just as stupid to call it the Milan Virus," the Democrat added. "I will pray for you, your staff & the person hospitalized."
Dear @DrPaulGosar: I will pray for you, your staff & the person hospitalized.

Also, calling #COVIDー19 the Wuhan Virus is an example of the myopia that allowed it to spread in the US. The virus is not constrained by country or race. Be just as stupid to call it the Milan Virus. https://t.co/of91p65mIO
— Ted Lieu (@tedlieu) March 9, 2020
In a statement on Sunday evening, Gosar said he came in contact with the infected individual for "an extended period of time, and we shook hands several times," but noted that he is "not currently experiencing any symptoms."

The Republican congressman said he will "remain at my house in Arizona" for the 14-day quarantine period and will also close his Washington D.C. office for the week "out of an abundance of caution."

Cruz released a similar statement this evening announcing his 14-day quarantine after a brief interaction with an infected individual at CPAC over a week ago, which "consisted of a brief conversation and handshake."

"I'm not experiencing any symptoms, and I feel fine and healthy," the senator explained. "Given that the interaction was 10 days ago, that the average incubation period is 5-6 days, that the interaction was for less than a minute, and that I have no current symptoms, the medical authorities have advised me that the odds of transmission from the other individual to me were extremely low."

Tens of thousands of Americans took to Twitter to weigh in on Lieu's criticism of Gosar over his Wuhan virus reference, with some critics condemning the Republican's remark as "racist" or "xenophobic." Others defended the congressman's use of the term. As of Sunday evening, "Wuhan Virus" rose to the sixth-most trending topic on the social media platform across the United States. At the time of publication, the topic had garnered more than 31,000 tweets.

Newsweek reached out to Gosar for comment.

"Most people call it the coronavirus. Some call it Covid-19. But only the most ignorant and racist among us would call it the Wuhan virus," surgeon Eugene Gu tweeted.
Most people call it the coronavirus.

Some call it Covid-19.

But only the most ignorant and racist among us would call it the Wuhan virus.
— Eugene Gu, MD (@eugenegu) March 9, 2020
"Hope you're okay, but perhaps while you're quarantined, you will realize how astoundingly xenophobic it is to call it the Wuhan Virus," tweeted Sleeping Giants, a social media activism organization.
Hope you’re okay, but perhaps while you’re quarantined, you will realize how astoundingly xenophobic it is to call it the Wuhan Virus.
— Sleeping Giants (@slpng_giants) March 9, 2020
"Just astoundingly gross to call it the Wuhan Virus," MSNBC host Chris Hayes tweeted.
Just astoundingly gross to call it the Wuhan Virus. https://t.co/cMrsA59xTH
— Chris Hayes (@chrislhayes) March 9, 2020
"The second dumbest member of the house is calling it wuhan virus because he's figured out there must be a way to get racism involved," Daily Beast editor Molly Jong-Fast tweeted.
The second dumbest member of the house is calling it wuhan virus because he’s figured out there must be a way to get racism involved pic.twitter.com/KoO3dlK7NQ
— Molly Jong-Fast (@MollyJongFast) March 9, 2020
"A GOP congressman is quarantining himself after sustained contact with a person with Covid-19 (Coronavirus), but he insists on calling it the 'Wuhan Virus,' presumably to blame China for this pathogen," CNN legal analyst Renato Mariotti tweeted.
A GOP congressman is quarantining himself after sustained contact with a person with Covid-19 (Coronavirus), but he insists on calling it the “Wuhan Virus,†presumably to blame China for this pathogen. https://t.co/MhzVjDhFeC
— Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) March 9, 2020
"Yes, we're sorry @DrPaulGosar, but if you refuse to use the medical terms and insist on using a place to describe the virus, then 'Wuhan Virus'—which I'm sure you didn't pick to be racist!—won't work. We can't trace your outbreak's source that way," attorney Max Kennerly tweeted. "No, you have 'CPAC Virus.'"
Yes, we're sorry @DrPaulGosar, but if you refuse to use the medical terms and insist on using a place to describe the virus, then "Wuhan Virus" — which I'm sure you didn't pick to be racist! — won't work. We can't trace your outbreak's source that way.

No, you have "CPAC Virus." https://t.co/sowi9pG1zn
— Max Kennerly (@MaxKennerly) March 9, 2020
Some conservatives defended Gosar's use of the term as legitimate.
"I call it the Wuhan Virus. I'm Chinese. I must be suffering from a serious case of internalized racism," tweeted Ian Miles Cheong, managing editor of Human Events, a conservative American political news website.
I call it the Wuhan Virus. I'm Chinese. I must be suffering from a serious case of internalized racism. https://t.co/Ml7UDKdbNR
— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) March 9, 2020
"Is it also astoundingly gross when Chinese in Asia call it the Wuhan Virus?" Cheong added in another tweet.
Is it also astoundingly gross when Chinese in Asia call it the Wuhan Virus? pic.twitter.com/oTsTl4ZFpN
— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) March 9, 2020

Old 03-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
The_Waco_Kid
AKA ULTRA MAGA Gurl

So .. if it's "racist" to china to refer to the "Wuhan Virus" is it racist to Mexicans to call it the ... wait for it //

Coronavirus

BAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That bastion of leftist crap the Atlantic weighs in ..

Conservatives Try to Rebrand the Coronavirus

The term Wuhan virus treats COVID-19 as a Chinese scourge—and ignores an ugly history.
March 11, 2020 Thomas Levenson
Professor of science writing at MIT

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...happen/607786/

Until recently, Representative Paul Gosar, a Republican from Arizona, was most famous for tweeting a lie: a faked photo of President Barack Obama shaking hands with Hassan Rouhani, the president of Iran. This weekend, Gosar made news with another tweet: In response to the report that he had been in contact with a man confirmed to have contracted the novel coronavirus, he announced that he was placing himself in self-quarantine from what he called the “Wuhan virus.”

Scientists are using the internationally accepted name COVID-19 to describe the disease caused by the novel coronavirus that was discovered late last year. But a number of prominent conservatives—including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas—are going with Wuhan virus, as if the deadly new pathogen were one more scourge to be blamed on the Chinese. As many of the responses to Gosar on Twitter pointed out, this kind of rhetoric invites the public to see a global epidemic in racial or (at best) geopolitical terms.

Yes. we are blaming it on the Chinese.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Tsmokies
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Holy fuck me shit...someone in Waco needs a dog or a sheep to give him something to do besides copying n posting on here 24/7. Scratch that...I don't believe in animal cruelity. Maybe Putin can send another comrade to pee in his mouth
Tsmokies is online now   Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
The_Waco_Kid
AKA ULTRA MAGA Gurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmokies View Post
Holy fuck me shit...someone in Waco needs a dog or a sheep to give him something to do besides copying n posting on here 24/7. Scratch that...I don't believe in animal cruelity. Maybe Putin can send another comrade to pee in his mouth

when did you move to Waco and why are you a sheep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3opoCWqrEPI&t
Old 03-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
friendly fred
Valued Poster

Encounters: 5

They could instead say "the corona virus that is believed to have originated in Wuhan".
friendly fred is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Trey
Valued Poster

Encounters: 70

I don't think that many care. Call it what you like. Someone always complains about something, you're complaining here about someone complaining. No one cares.
Trey is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
The_Waco_Kid
AKA ULTRA MAGA Gurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I don't think that many care. Call it what you like. Someone always complains about something, you're complaining here about someone complaining. No one cares.

your beloved libtard leftanistas care. several republicans referred to it as the "Wuhan Virus" .. which it is. what if a democrat had said that? would there be any blow back? Nope.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:05 AM   #10
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

wuhan virus!
wuhan virus!
wuhan virus!
wuhan virus!

get over it!!!!
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:07 AM   #11
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

wuhan corona virus...

hmm.. isn't that double racist to include china and mexico????
Old 03-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #12
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Now, China’s Foreign Ministry is saying the US introduced the Wuhann Viris into China.

https://qz.com/1817736/china-fuels-c...aming-us-army/

This will be a great talking point for the Democrats and their willing lackeys in the MSM.
Jackie S is online now   Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:56 AM   #13
oeb11
Valued Poster

Fascist DPST's are parroting the Chinese Communist Party, which likely originated the virus in their viologic warfare research labs in Wuhan, China - and then stonewalled the outbreak for months - allowing thousands infected to travel around the world - exporting their disease.

Omar, and her bunch - refuse to lay responsibility where it belongs - for China's abject failure to control Wuhan virus at its' origin. They would rather shill for Communist China than do anything constructive - rather do anything to tear down and blame Trump than work for the American people.

"Racism" is a tired, old. DPST talking point dictated by the NYT to the LSM. Who are now blaming the US for "Introducing the Wuhan virus to China"!! Schumer, Pelosi and the clowns will now want an investigation into ever CDC and Military laboratory in and outside the nation, spend millions of dollars, and come up with nothing when they could have been assisting the Administration and Trump in dealing with a medical matter.

But No - TDS and Trump trumps all for the Fascist DPST's - they would rather support Russia and China - and poinit fingers at Trump- than Help America!!!

Read the Facts - 9500, ftw, j666, and other fascist DPST's - Wuhan virus originated in Wuhan China!!!
oeb11 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
friendly fred
Valued Poster

Encounters: 5

Yes, here in the US we eat diseased bat meat from biotesting facilities with poor disposal protocols so we must have caused the corona virus to spread....
friendly fred is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeb11 View Post
Fascist DPST's are parroting the Chinese Communist Party, which likely originated the virus in their viologic warfare research labs in Wuhan, China - and then stonewalled the outbreak for months - allowing thousands infected to travel around the world - exporting their disease.

Omar, and her bunch - refuse to lay responsibility where it belongs - for China's abject failure to control Wuhan virus at its' origin. They would rather shill for Communist China than do anything constructive - rather do anything to tear down and blame Trump than work for the American people.

The Chinese Knew What They Were Doing in Spreading the Wuhan Virus

https://www.redstate.com/stu-in-sd/2...e-wuhan-virus/

Just as the Soviets were incapable of admitting errors of any kind during the 1920s and 1930s, so are their progeny, the Communist Chinese, unable to come clean on the Wuhan virus. The Chinese knew about the virus in November 2019 yet did nothing to stop its spread and indeed did not inform the world of the problem until forced to by the world community as the virus spread to other countries.

It is not surprising at all that two of the hotspots for the virus around the world are Iran and Italy. Iran and China have been involved in oil trade in violation of sanctions continuously over the past year. It’s no wonder that Iran has a large number of cases. Italy, for its part, has been the European hub for China’s Maritime Silk Road strategy associated with it’s One Belt One Road initiative. The number of infected Chinese transiting to and from Italy over the past several months is unknown but certainly large.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women