Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 245
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160442
Yssup Rider59883
gman4452909
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47499
pyramider46370
bambino40301
CryptKicker37075
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35292
Mojojo33117

Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
presidentcharley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
Going through the process right now. It's fairly amicable but we are not agreeing how to divide one asset...the house. We paid off our mortgage years ago and neither one of us wants to go out ad get a new one. I want to sell it and just split the proceeds so that we can both go and pay cash for something new. That way neither of us has to take on a new mortgage or rent payment. She doesn't want to sell the house and she doesn't want to buy me out of my half. Except for that everything else is 50/50 with us. Not sure how to work around that without getting lawyers involved. Any suggestions?
you have to make an agreement on every issue, ot it is a contested divorce. what you could do is agree on everything except that issue, and then pay a lawyer to mediate this one issue for the two of you. If you have to go to court and fight about this issue, every judge is different, but in my experience they will look at a couple things.
1) are there kids? If so, they will want to try and keep those kids in the home if that parent can afford to stay there. you would get your equity from the house, out of some other piece of property.
2) if she is getting kids, but will not be able to afford it, or if there is no other piece of property to get your equity from, then it will be ordered sold with proceeds split after all costs paid.

That has been my general experience.

Charley
presidentcharley is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #17
tristan
Premium Access

Encounters: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentcharley View Post
you have to make an agreement on every issue, ot it is a contested divorce. what you could do is agree on everything except that issue, and then pay a lawyer to mediate this one issue for the two of you. If you have to go to court and fight about this issue, every judge is different, but in my experience they will look at a couple things.
1) are there kids? If so, they will want to try and keep those kids in the home if that parent can afford to stay there. you would get your equity from the house, out of some other piece of property.
2) if she is getting kids, but will not be able to afford it, or if there is no other piece of property to get your equity from, then it will be ordered sold with proceeds split after all costs paid.

That has been my general experience.

Charley
Thanks Charley. There are no kids. No joint accounts. Cars, house, bills, debt, everything paid off or not set up jointly. I have a practice in which I carry some small business debt that is mine alone. She just not want to sell the house because she loves it too much. And if we sell and split proceeds she may have to live on a slightly smaller home that she doesn't like as much. If we sell it and split profit we both could pay cash for new homes and not have to take on any sort of mortgage. Told her is she wanted to stay in the house she would just have to pay me FMV for my half. She thinks I should let her stay and I go out and lease or buy on my own. That doesn't sound like equal split to me.
tristan is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
texan361
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1
Default get a lawyer

I too enjoy reading Shyster Jon's legal analysis and more often than not I agree with him. I think you should never do anything legal without a lawyer, but assuming I did agree with Jon on this case, I would say a home is a sizeable asset and you should get an attorney to protect your interest in the home.
texan361 is offline   Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
Dstorm
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6

Books like "File for Divorce in Texas" Sphinx legal, Rolick and Haman

has a CD in the back with every form you could need. Just fill them out and print them. The book explains in detail the whole process.
It's one of the easiest legal issues I have handled myself. Doing my taxes was more time consuming and a bigger headache to be honest. Granted everything was agreed on before hand.
Dstorm is offline   Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
acp5762
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShysterJon View Post
Note: The following is not intended to be a comprehensive guide covering all issues which may arise in a divorce case. I am writing only about a divorce in which: (1) there are NO CHILDREN of the marriage; and (2) there are NO SIGNIFICANT ASSETS (such as a house) belonging to the marital estate. If there are children or a house, or other more complicated issues, it may be best for one or both parties to consult an attorney.

As many of you know, I don't practice family law. (I prefer doing criminal defense because my clients tend to be much nicer than those fighting in family court. Haha.) But having gone through the process twice, and having been approached many times by members of our little community regarding divorce issues, I can offer some tips.

I know it's common to think that you need a lawyer to get a divorce, but you'd need at least $5,000 to hire a qualified lawyer who practices family law to do a divorce in the North Texas area. My view is if the husband and wife don't have children, what they own together is not substantial, and the primary issue is the division of debt, getting a divorce can be a relatively easy process and probably neither party needs to hire a lawyer.

The party seeking the divorce (the "petitioner") would start the process by filing a petition with the District Clerk in the county in which they reside, pay a fee to the Clerk to file the petition and hand-serve it on the other party (if the other party -- the "respondent" -- won't agree in writing to waive service), and draft a final decree.

A person seeking a divorce without a lawyer (that is, a pro se party) should find the free forms on the following web site useful:

TexasLawHelp.org

On this site are all the downloadable forms a person should need to do a basic divorce.

Also, the Texas Young Lawyers Association has published a handbook on doing a pro se divorce. The following is a link to the handbook:

Texas Young Lawyers Association, "Pro Se Divorce Handbook"

This should give a person everything they need to do a simple divorce.

Best of luck!
If the couple is amicable and their are no children or other valuable assets you can get a divorce in any state without a lawyer. All that a couple really has to do legally is go to the clerk of courts in their jurisdiction and sign a few articles of paperwork pay anywhere from 125-250 bucks and the divorce is final.
acp5762 is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #21
guest043013-2
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

UH, not exactly that simple. In Texas, a Judge is going to be needed at some point in that process. Believe it is a bit more expensive as well.

I know in some states the Clerk has a status similar to a judge, but here in Texas, Clerk doesn't sign decrees and orders far as I know.
guest043013-2 is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #22
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp5762 View Post
If the couple is amicable and their are no children or other valuable assets you can get a divorce in any state without a lawyer. All that a couple really has to do legally is go to the clerk of courts in their jurisdiction and sign a few articles of paperwork pay anywhere from 125-250 bucks and the divorce is final.
No offense, but that simply isn't the law in Texas. I just looked at the web sites of the district clerks of Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin counties, and there are no links to downloadable forms to do a do-it-yourself divorce (no surprise there, considering that court clerks often tell pro se parties that they can't give legal advice, and supplying a form would be giving legal advice). So it remains that, at minimum, a pro se party would need to prepare and file a divorce petition and have the judge sign a final decree for a divorce to be complete.

Now that doesn't mean they don't do things differently in foreign countries, like Looziana, where I think all the husband has to do is say "I divorce you!" three times in a Cajun accent for him to cut loose the ball and chain.
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
acp5762
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShysterJon View Post
No offense, but that simply isn't the law in Texas. I just looked at the web sites of the district clerks of Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin counties, and there are no links to downloadable forms to do a do-it-yourself divorce (no surprise there, considering that court clerks often tell pro se parties that they can't give legal advice, and supplying a form would be giving legal advice). So it remains that, at minimum, a pro se party would need to prepare and file a divorce petition and have the judge sign a final decree for a divorce to be complete.

Now that doesn't mean they don't do things differently in foreign countries, like Looziana, where I think all the husband has to do is say "I divorce you!" three times in a Cajun accent for him to cut loose the ball and chain.
Well yea Texas, Almost like a seperate country, lol.
acp5762 is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
guest043013-2
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Shyster,

Not on the clerk's website, but this is on the Tarrant County Website for the family courts...

http://www.tarrantcounty.com/ecourts...a=718&Q=468653

Tarrant County Courts

Information for Self-Represented Litigants
The Tarrant County Family Judges strongly encourage you to hire a lawyer, if possible. Please remember that the court clerks, court staff, and judges want to help you, but they cannot give you legal advice, help you fill out your forms, or tell you what to do. If you proceed without a lawyer, you will be responsible for protecting yourself legally. If you still wish to represent yourself, please consider consulting the following resources:
  1. For Divorce Forms
  2. For other Family Law Forms
    For Protective Orders
    District Attorney's Protective Order Unit
    Safe Haven of Tarrant County
  3. Tarrant County Law Library
  4. Legal Aid of Northwest Texas
  5. Texas Weslyan Law School Clinic
  6. Free Legal Clinics
  7. Tarrant County Bar Association
  8. How to Conduct Yourself in Family Court
  9. Instructions for Handling Your Divorce (with children) in the Tarrant County Family Courts
  10. Instructions for Handling Your Divorce (no children) in the Tarrant County Family Courts
  11. Parenting Help
  12. Conflict Resolution
guest043013-2 is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #25
texag
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

You can buy a car for $125, it probably won't get where you need to go. In this world, you often get what you pay for, and that includes legal services. If you own property or have children, get a lawyer. There are things that happen in divorces that most people don't think about until often when it's too late.

Retirement accounts such as 401(k)s, pension plans have to be divided. So does debt. People sometimes think that just because an asset or liability is in one of the sponse's name it means it is their separate property or separate debt. This is not the case.

Someone earlier was asking about a jointly owning a house post divorce. This is generally a bad idea and in my opinion generally leads to having to hire a lawyer somewhere else down the road to fix the problem that should have been taken care of during the divorce.

Having represented hundreds of clients in the divorce process, I have a pretty good understanding of what can and does go wrong when people try to do this themselves.

Bottom line, talk to an attorney.
texag is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #26
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
Shyster,

Not on the clerk's website, but this is on the Tarrant County Website for the family courts...
Thanks. I didn't think to look for divorce forms under the general heading, "Information for Self-Represented Litigants." But if you click the links on the Tarrant County web site for divorce forms, you go to the web site in my original post: TexasLawHelp.org.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #27
Guest100413
Account Disabled

Encounters: 26

It can be done sans lawyers - even with children and a house. The documents are available at this link. It's not simple and there are a ton of documents to complete, but it is do-able.

Just speaking from my own experience...
Guest100413 is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #28
smiley
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 2

Quote:
She thinks I should let her stay and I go out and lease or buy on my own. That doesn't sound like equal split to me.
Tristan, that cracked me up, because that is exactly what I would hear if I ever have to go through a divorce.

Wife: How about we split everything 50/50, except for the single most valuable piece of community property we have. The one that took us 20 years to pay off. I will take 100% of that.

As Sam Kinnison said, "You know why divorces are so expensive? BECAUSE THEY ARE WORTH IT!!!".
smiley is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Exclamation Update

There has been a significant change in Texas regarding simple, uncontested divorces in Texas.

On November 13, 2012, the Texas Supreme Court implemented a uniform set of forms to be used by litigants pursuing uncontested divorces that do not involve children. Although litigants are not required to use these forms, the trial courts of Texas are required to permit their use.

The Dallas County District Clerk now has these forms online to do a simple divorce:

Uncontested Divorce Forms

Tell your wife or husband you love them, but you love hobbying, too. If that doesn't work. consider using these forms. Bon chance!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
Willow Breeze
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 152631
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Will the forms there work for other Texas counties? What if the woman lives in Texas and he lives in another state? She can't go back where she was living thanks to his abuse. This is not for me but for a friend non hobby.
Willow Breeze is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women