Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 263
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 247
Top Posters
DallasRain70407
biomed160524
Yssup Rider59914
gman4452927
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47526
pyramider46370
bambino40312
CryptKicker37080
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35341
Mojojo33117

Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

Octupus

xxxxxxxxx
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Here's what the inside of an 8-track cartridge looks like:

No wonder those things got screwed up so easily!
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
terbul
Account Disabled

Ah, sound quality.

I think the golden era in sound (amplifiers, speakers and tuners) was the 70s through the mid 80s. Not that there haven’t been products in other years with good sound, but the 70s/80s produced a lot of them.

My theory is that this was the time period when the art and technology of designing components that sounded good were optimally balanced; and the distribution model was based more on expert advice than mass marketing.

The ability to design better gear was enhanced as technology to produce repeatable, accurate, and comprehensive sound measurements was coming into it’s own, but the final design decisions were based on what the component sounded like to the designer. The ability to measure was helpful in developing designs but the end product was based on the human test. Resulting in an era when there was great diversity in design, leading to different but good sound.

In speaker design for example there was a significant difference in basic design (and resulting sound) amongst KEF, Infinity, Bose, Allison, Tannoy, Chartwell, Klipsch, etc. But they all were good (some better than others to individuals taste) and didn’t all cost an arm and a leg; they all had mid range product. They all reflected the design bias of the designer.

But remember, that was also the era when the stereo store was common. A place where you could go listen to the gear, do comparisons and with some relatively profession advice from the people that worked in them. If you preferred flat sound, they could direct you to the brands with that characteristic. They could and would set up a demo so you could hear the difference amongst the amplifiers and determine which one you liked; Bryston, MaIntosh, Ampzilla, Carver, etc. Now those were higher end lines, but Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, etc. produced solid products as well.
The tech specs were there, people looked at them, but by in large the decision was made on the basis of listening.

That changed as the brick and mortar store began to fade in the 80’s. Mail order (remember that?) became a significant part of the distribution model. As did the early big box stores. No more knowledgeable sales staff, mass marketing became the replacement. And it’s very hard to mass market a particular sound.

Much easier to say our amplifier has .0001% total harmonic distortion and 100 watts per channel, not .05% like those other guys and 55 watts like the other guy. The fact that 55 watts and .05% thd actually can sound better (due to the complexities mentioned in previous posts) is very hard to sell in a print ad. And ABC warehouse (or the others) has neither the staff of the environment to provide the comparison.

Stereo component design (in the mainstream) became little more than a numbers game; easy to design, easy to advertise; if it sounded good that was a bonus. Yes, there were gems out there that bucked the trend (NAD comes to mind), but for the most part the products designed to sound good ended up more at the high end.
terbul is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
rachet3375
Valued Poster

Encounters: 41

The beauty of tube amps whether they be stereo or guitar amps is that immediately at power on the vacumn tube starts to degrade from the heat generated by its components. A tube is similar to a lightbulb only a tad more complex. It may be due to the non-linear clipping that occurs with tube amps, or due to the higher levels of second-order harmonic distortion, common in single-ended designs resulting from the characteristics of the tube interacting with the inductance of the output transformer.
More can be found out about tube amps here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound
Some amp manufactures such as Line 6 are making "modeling amps" which are solid state circuit amps that will emulate various classic tube amps from the 60s such as VOX and Marshall, old Fender Black Tweeds, etc.... The macintosh amps were killer and I wish I had kept mine along with an old Leslie cab.
Back on subject I have an extensive collection of 33 1/3 LPs (approx 700) and about 200 CDs half a dozen cassettes and gave all my 8 tracks to my Pops. 8 track refers to the # of tracks the tape carried, 4 R and 4 L = 8. Number of songs on tape was irrelevant.
rachet3375 is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
and I'm guessing there were 8 tracks in total on the tape? That sucker looks massive though. It wouldn't fit in your back pocket easily would it lol?
It was about 4" by 5" by about 3/4" thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
As I remember they held the full album of an LP...but separated the songs into groups of 3-4 songs...4 groups in all. I have no idea where the 8-Track name came from...lol.
Two tracks times four (left and right times four, see below, now color coded). The grouping depended on how to balance the most even layout of songs on the tape or the least amount of blank space. The tape was a continuous loop (single piece of tape spliced together head to tail). so yes ease of use was great. Reliability was bad. If the tape bound up, you'd toss it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
And they generally soundly like crap and broke a lot (absolutely the cheapest tape available. And the heads fell out of alignment too so you'd hear two tracks instead of one. It was a format that should have died much more quickly than it did.
Tape (and Head stack) layout:
1 left
2 left
3 left
4 left
1 right
2 right
3 right
4 right

And the head would move up or down. All covering a 1/4" tape.
I hope that is clearer. Camille, if you are not clear on this, you'll have to stay after class with "teacher." Me.
Or I've made a complete mess of an eight track's description.

Ohhh, I like this break down:
http://www.8trackheaven.com/work.html
Camille, you will still have to stay after class for extra credit.
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
and I'm guessing there were 8 tracks in total on the tape? That sucker looks massive though. It wouldn't fit in your back pocket easily would it lol? xxx
FWIW, in recording studios the multitrack tape was 2" wide with 24 tracks. One company did experiment with a 3" tape but ran and failed horribly at the Audio Engineering Society show (seventies). Talk about bulky. Those 10.5" reels of 2" tape were very heavy. Big ass tape transports to move that tape. Here's what one of those machines with tape looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MCI-JH-24-2...item45f5729b53
I haven't operated one of those in 25 years. Seeing those pics brings back a ton of memories.
Guest083011 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women