Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 251
Top Posters
DallasRain70467
biomed160975
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453024
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47733
pyramider46370
bambino40441
CryptKicker37105
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 01-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Encounters: 46
Default Joker in Houston wants to get serious.

I am no attorney. But certainly not an idiot. Starting a discussion on our city's reputation. Let's see where this goes.

Allow me to get serious. Does anyone listen to NPR? Houston public radio? Apparently we have more brothels than Starbucks.

This is an old subject or topic of discussion, but while I was listening today I heard the latest.

Pioneering Lawsuit About Human Trafficking And Sexual Exploitation Filed In Houston

The multiple defendants include highly recognizable names of the hospitality industry

eccieuser9500 is online now   Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
LimitlessJD
Account Disabled

So, I’ve seen this posted in various forums with some interesting comments.

Backpage has, at times, acted in a way that probably didn’t do as much as it could to prevent the use of their publication for sex trafficking. Will their actions, or lack thereof, rise to the legal standard that they knew? I don’t know. I do think that if they knew, then they could and should be held civilly accountable.

Next, the hotels and truck stops. If the victim can prove that employees at this places knew she was being trafficked, then what do you think should be done? The new law provides for a remedy if they were knowingly profiting from trafficking. That, to me, seems like a rather high standard. It reminds me of the mandatory reporting requirements in a way - with a financial profit aspect added.

In a nutshell, if you see something, say something or else you may get drawn into court.
LimitlessJD is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Thank you for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitlessJD View Post
Will their actions, or lack thereof, rise to the legal standard that they knew? I don’t know.

. . . the hotels and truck stops. If the victim can prove that employees at this places knew she was being trafficked, then what do you think should be done?

In a nutshell, if you see something, say something or else you may get drawn into court.
The Backpage question:

Don't they have plausible deniability? One would think the website wouldn't be informed exactly what is going on.

The hotels and truck stops:

Unless the hotel staff and management are in on it, they could only assume what was happening. Same with the truck stops.

This wreaks of a witch hunt. As awful as this sounds, do these entities have an obligation to ask what is happening on their property? And therefore have the right to refuse their services on a mere suspension?

When do ethics outweigh the law?

For the record, I am not trying to justify anything of the sort. I love listening to great conversations and getting into the semantics of language and words. As a humorist. Playing with words is fun. Wether in politics, the law, medicine or the psyche.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
LimitlessJD
Account Disabled

The businesses don’t have a duty to report per se (like a doctor reporting suspected abuse), but they can (now) be held liable (civil) if they know trafficking is happening and that trafficking leads to a profit for their business. The knowing prong is the hard part to prove. But my opinion is that if truckers are buying gas or people are renting rooms, that’s enough to prove the profiting prong.

This is totally new law, so it’s hard to say what ultimately might happen but it’s not as far fetched as others are making it seem. Hotel workers at major chains now undergo anti trafficking training because they do have the ability to identify possible victims.

I’m definitely a libertarian and a proponent of decriminalization, but people turning a blind eye to suspicious trafficking behavior, especially like what is described in this case, is a totally different story.

Businesses can refuse service as long as it’s not to a protected class, like based on race or sex. In this type of case, it would be more prudent to accept the business but call law enforcement with the suspicion.

Did you notice in the story, it mentions how she goes after the executives atBP but is more deliberate with naming the defendants at the hotels and truck stops? That’s what is interesting me the most. Like perhaps they have some really specific details.

I really need to read up on this and report back. (But I’m off to the Swingers club now lol)
LimitlessJD is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Swing on bro.

The phrase "if you see something, say something" brings up my witch hunt comment. Makes me think of a society of narcs (my vernacular: rats/stoolies/tattle-tales).

Oh, and the execs at BP can afford better attorneys. So she takes more care with her words.

I'm a little sleepy so I will think of some good discussion questions later.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
garhkal
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500 View Post
Thank you for replying.

The Backpage question:

Don't they have plausible deniability? One would think the website wouldn't be informed exactly what is going on.
Well to ME, if backpage is liable for crimes committed by posters, who advertise hookers, THEN SO TOO SHOULD YOUTUBE and the like, be liable when THEIR posters put up videos SHOWING THEM COMMITTING Crimes...
garhkal is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:09 AM   #7
gnadfly
Account Disabled

Why didn't you put this in the Houston sandbox?

I'm getting massage ads in Facebook Marketplace now. Seems like Zuck doesn't want to stop "Russian collusion."
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:03 AM   #8
LexusLover
Valued Poster

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/CP.98.htm

Quote:
CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE
TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT
CHAPTER 98. LIABILITY FOR TRAFFICKING OF PERSONS

Sec. 98.002. LIABILITY. (a) A defendant who engages in the trafficking of persons or who intentionally or knowingly benefits from participating in a venture that traffics another person is liable to the person trafficked, as provided by this chapter, for damages arising from the trafficking of that person by the defendant or venture.

(b) It is not a defense to liability under this chapter that a defendant has been acquitted or has not been prosecuted or convicted under Chapter 20A, Penal Code, or has been convicted of a different offense or of a different type or class of offense, for the conduct that is alleged to give rise to liability under this chapter.
...eff. June 19, 2009.

Sec. 98.006. LIBERAL CONSTRUCTION AND APPLICATION. This chapter shall be liberally construed and applied to promote its underlying purpose to protect persons from human trafficking and provide adequate remedies to victims of human trafficking.
.. the operative words ... "intentionally or knowingly benefits"

The overly broad and vague wording would cast a net over the MacDonalds or gas station at which the "defendant" or ______?________ stopped to buy something to eat or refuel their vehicle while "on the road."

Quote:
Sec. 98.005. JOINT AND SEVERAL LIABILITY. A person who engages in the trafficking of persons or who intentionally or knowingly benefits from participating in a venture that traffics another person ....
"witch hunt" is a good phrase to apply.

The lawsuit will generate discomfort and inconvenience to the named defendants and generate a lot of unwanted press for the establishments that will no doubt encourage responsible businesses to make settlements to avoid the continued negative publicity (which for the most part already exists in the community by virtue of publicized busts and rumors.

The lawyers will make some good money off the settlements and the poor "victim" will get victimized again by the system when, like in the instant case, the alleged victim is now an adult.
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
garhkal
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadfly View Post

I'm getting massage ads in Facebook Marketplace now. Seems like Zuck doesn't want to stop "Russian collusion."
That is why i refuse to sign up for Farcebook.
garhkal is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadfly View Post

A free market society. Deal with it.

The Sandbox-Houston

The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Coed Discussions - Houston

Hobby-related discussions belong here. Let's keep these discussions on-topic, thought-provoking, and more importantly...entertaining!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Well . . . I'm off to have some fresh Thai.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

I think that stems from a case in Baytown
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
Mr MojoRisin
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500 View Post
I am no attorney. But certainly not an idiot. Starting a discussion on our city's reputation. Let's see where this goes.

Allow me to get serious. Does anyone listen to NPR? Houston public radio? Apparently we have more brothels than Starbucks.

This is an old subject or topic of discussion, but while I was listening today I heard the latest.

Pioneering Lawsuit About Human Trafficking And Sexual Exploitation Filed In Houston

The multiple defendants include highly recognizable names of the hospitality industry

Jim
Mr MojoRisin is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
Guest123018-4
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

More brothels than Starbucks is ridiculous.
All the ones I know of have a Starbucks in them.
Guest123018-4 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #15
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

A brothel with a Starbucks in it?

Intentionally and knowingly beneficial I'm sure.

Jocular enough for ya' Jimmy?

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women