Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70390
biomed160338
Yssup Rider59858
gman4452872
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47443
pyramider46370
bambino40288
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35189
Mojojo33117

Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
BigLouie
Valued Poster

Default An America going backward

The idea behind economic development is that growing the economy makes life better for each successive generation. The boy who worked in unregulated coal mines as a child becomes the father of unionized coal workers with federal safety protections, for instance. The country grows, and so does the standard of living.

This year we're seeing that Republicans have a different view of the bad old days. Presidential candidate -- and apparent new frontrunner -- Newt Gingrich yesterday recommended that schools hire kids as young as nine to do the job of cleaning their schools so that kids could "begin the process of rising." In that one apparent governing principle, the belief that American should go backward on child labor, you can see why the nation is having so much trouble getting to bipartisanship on anything.

Democrats haven't really moved in any direction except to the right in their economic positions in the last 20 years. Meanwhile, in Republican politics this year, it became normal to talk about eliminating child labor laws. This is why we can't have nice things. This is why we cannot come together, kumbayah. You want Democrats to go halfway toward eliminating child labor laws in the interest of bipartisan harmony? Seriously?
BigLouie is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouie View Post

The idea behind economic development is that growing the economy makes life better for each successive generation. The boy who worked in unregulated coal mines as a child becomes the father of unionized coal workers with federal safety protections, for instance. The country grows, and so does the standard of living.

This year we're seeing that Republicans have a different view of the bad old days. Presidential candidate -- and apparent new frontrunner -- Newt Gingrich yesterday recommended that schools hire kids as young as nine to do the job of cleaning their schools so that kids could "begin the process of rising." In that one apparent governing principle, the belief that American should go backward on child labor, you can see why the nation is having so much trouble getting to bipartisanship on anything.

Democrats haven't really moved in any direction except to the right in their economic positions in the last 20 years. Meanwhile, in Republican politics this year, it became normal to talk about eliminating child labor laws. This is why we can't have nice things. This is why we cannot come together, kumbayah. You want Democrats to go halfway toward eliminating child labor laws in the interest of bipartisan harmony? Seriously?
I'm a die hard Republican/conservative. I listen to Rush Limbaugh, Shawn Hannity, Mark Levin, etc. I watch Fox News. I read conservative editorials. I read conservative books.

I have never once heard or read any conservative advocate bringing back child labor.

This is a straw man argument which is a sure sign of intellectual bankruptcy.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
gnadfly
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
Welcome to the BigLouie world of cut n paste, don't credit original author, and don't insert your personal opinion posts.
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
BigLouie
Valued Poster

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich clarified his comment calling child labor laws "stupid" Monday in an interview with The Washington Post.

He said he was not advocating revamping child labor laws or suggesting children drop out of school to become janitors. "I'm talking about working 20 hours a week and being empowered to succeed."

Gingrich, however, repeated the idea Monday in New Hampshire, saying that replacing unionized janitors with students would be "dramatically less expensive."

Federal guidelines state that minors aged 14 and 15 generally may not work more than 18 hours a week when school is in session, and no more than 3 hours per day when school is in session. Some states have stricter limits.

"It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in, first of all, child laws, which are truly stupid," said the former House speaker Friday at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard. "Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors, have one master janitor and pay local students to take care of the school. The kids would actually do work, they would have cash, they would have pride in the schools, they'd begin the process of rising."

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees launched a web campaign against Gingrich, asking visitors to sign a petition calling the idea "nuts, vicious, and wrong."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1107864.html
Old 11-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
BigLouie
Valued Poster

Google Gingrich and Child Labor Laws and you will find a host of web sites talking about his goal.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
Exclamation Poor Judgement

Newt Gringrich is an overfed and underdeveloped egomaniac who has no business running for government and I don't think he even qualifies as a human being.

We need to raise the standard of living of this country, not run it into the ground with child labor.

His latest idea just goes to show just how poor his poor judgment really is.

Newt
Fast Gunn is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
ArmaniAlabama
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 108086
Thumbs down

Make abortion illegal and deregulate child labor laws.

Yep...............I smell what is cooking.

Class war.
ArmaniAlabama is offline   Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
TheDaliLama
Valued Poster

.....I smell what is cooking

I hope it's not a fart.

That's one of the best avatars I've seen.
TheDaliLama is offline   Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Little Stevie
Valued Poster

Encounters: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
I'm a die hard Republican/conservative. I listen to Rush Limbaugh, Shawn Hannity, Mark Levin, etc. I watch Fox News. I read conservative editorials. I read conservative books.

I have never once heard or read any conservative advocate bringing back child labor.

You don't listen well. That's OK. It is a trait at which most Republicans excel.

Replace the comma with a period.

http://www.youtube,com/watch?v=mOKgxm10P-c

http://www.youtube,com/watch?v=kX4GyCsenaY - he explains it later by drizzling verbal pancake syrup on a rotten idea.
Little Stevie is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women