Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70437
biomed160686
Yssup Rider60017
gman4452944
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47615
pyramider46370
bambino40335
CryptKicker37092
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35426
Mojojo33117

Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

User ID: 1650
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Question Need help with Torque/RPM/Horsepower

I'm confused when cars mention horsepower, RPM and torque. Below are 4 car examples. Some have high rpms with low horsepower and others high rpms with high horsepower. Same goes with the torque. What's better a car with low torque but high rpms or low rpms? Is the lower hp better with the high RPMs or the higher hp with lower RPMs? Why do the RPMs change between the torque and just the HP figure on the same car?

Which of the 4 cars below is most appealing to you based on these figures?
Which car is the fastest based on these figures?
Which car is the strongest?
When buying a car, which is better to compare? Torque or HP or RPMS?

CAR 1
207 torque@1700rpm --200hp@5100rpm
CAR 2
249 torque@4500rpm --263hp@6250rpm
CAR3
172 torque@4900rpm --182hp@6700rpm
CAR4
394 torque@4200rpm --363hp@5200rpm
tia travels is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
essence
Valued Poster

I would be more interested in MPG.

Torque is like measuring how hard you can turn a screw driver against a stiff screw.

Horesepower is like how much energy you put into it.

Or, to relate it to something else, torque is the size of the tool, horsepower is how vigorously you can use it. A large tool might get you started, but if it doesn't then raise it's game you will be frustrated when you scream 'fuck me harder'.

I wouldn;t worry about RPM - the gearbox takes care of that. Unless you are a spinner.
essence is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
1NEMESIS
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence View Post
I would be more interested in MPG.

Torque is like measuring how hard you can turn a screw driver against a stiff screw.

Horesepower is like how much energy you put into it.

Or, to relate it to something else, torque is the size of the tool, horsepower is how vigorously you can use it. A large tool might get you started, but if it doesn't then raise it's game you will be frustrated when you scream 'fuck me harder'.

I wouldn;t worry about RPM - the gearbox takes care of that. Unless you are a spinner.
Good analogy, sometimes it's hard for explain the torque/horsepower question but you did a good job..
1NEMESIS is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
essence
Valued Poster

To be more specific:

- torque is force time distance
- horsepower is power - in metric units it is joules per second, where joules is energy. So horsepower is the rate at which you expend energy.

If you run 100 metres in 15 seconds, you expend a certain amount of energy.
If you are Bolt, you expend a lot more energy.

So Bolt has more power.

I have no knowledge or experience or information concerning the amount of torque Bolt has.

But if you watch sprinters at the start of the race, their legs are all twisted.

That is torque.

The movement of their appendages at 80 m is no indication of their bedroom prowess.

As for me, I prefer to relate it to the women. The tightness of their ass as they bend over at the starting blocks is their torque.

The glistening thighs at the end of their 400m which you want over your ears as you take their clit in your mouth is their horsepower. It is their energy divided by their 400 time. 48 sec is better than 75 sec, more vibrancy to the thighs, but 44 sec may make you question their gender.

I like lots of torque and plenty of horsepower.
essence is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
1NEMESIS
BANNED

Here's a good visual of torque, you can see the twisting force of the trucks at the start of the race….http://youtu.be/Jxv2hOlFav4
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Rakhir
Valued Poster

Encounters: 62

Torque is also the application of the transfer of force. You have to be able to harness horsepower/energy and transfer it to the ground via transmission, driveshaft, differential and tires all part of the drive train.

Interestingly enough Nemesis' video is a great example of the application of torque to ground. You will see how the vehicles, lock up, as their drive trains engage and transfer their energy to the ground. This application makes no distinction between internal combustion or electric processes. Point of fact electric motors actually generate more torque in their application but are unable to sustain it due to the weight to power curve ratio of the energy needed to develop and maintain torque.
Rakhir is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhir View Post
Point of fact electric motors actually generate more torque in their application but are unable to sustain it due to the weight to power curve ratio of the energy needed to develop and maintain torque.
Good point.

Here's an entertaining demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6gD6r3-cw

Similarly, my Tesla Roadster Sport accelerates from 0-60 as fast or faster than many Porsches with much more horsepower. (The electric motor in the Tesla produces only 288hp.) It's great fun! But a Porsche Turbo would simply outmuscle it after a couple of gear shifts enable the engine to spend some time operating in higher-RPM ranges where it can develop close to its peak horsepower.
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
tia travels
Let's Have A Great Year!

User ID: 1650
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

These are all helpful explanations. That video was good too. Essence--your female comparison was interesting.

But I'm still unsure with the car examples above, which would be the best car engine wise. Are the ones with smaller torque the faster/stronger cars? I know with all the driving I do, I should be considering a car with good mpg, but...

What are folks' opinions on turbo engines in cars? Do they fall apart sooner than other types?
tia travels is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by tia travels View Post
These are all helpful explanations. That video was good too. Essence--your female comparison was interesting.

But I'm still unsure with the car examples above, which would be the best car engine wise. Are the ones with smaller torque the faster/stronger cars? I know with all the driving I do, I should be considering a car with good mpg, but...

What are folks' opinions on turbo engines in cars? Do they fall apart sooner than other types?
Tia, I'm not sure from your posts exactly what your highest priorities are. Dependability is apparently very important to you, since you are concerned about turbo engines. If you google a few terms such as turbo engine dependability or reliability, you'll get a lot of hits and can do some reading. Opinions may be all over the place, since a lot depends on the particular engineering involved in a given engine. But turbos obviously involve some additional complexity, and ask more in the way of power output from a fixed level of displacement (cubic inches or liters), so it's reasonble to expect that there could possibly be reliability concerns.

But the choice is essentially a somewhat subjective one.

I always liked the website www.howstuffworks.com.

You might enjoy this explanation of horsepower:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm/printable
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Rakhir
Valued Poster

Encounters: 62

Just for grins here are a few tidbits to amuse you on this topic of torque.

Top fuel dragsters are the ultimate expression in this area. They use 26 gallons of nitro-methane fuel in one run. The fuel lines are 1 inch to each cylinder. Basically the 1/4 mile they run is a controlled explosion. After each run they tear down and completely rebuild the engine and transmission. A top fuel car completely burns out 26-32 clutch plates in one run!

There are some other factors involved such as air density, temperature of track and tire pressure. Low pressures allow for greater frictional grip and transfer of energy and they lock down. Too little and you bog down as well so the proper balance has to be maintained.

If you were to stand halfway down the track and waited to see the top fuel car move before you tried to jump out of the way you would have already been hit! The current record time for a top fuel in the quarter mile is 3.7 seconds!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64BCcNyAvxU
Rakhir is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
CJ7
Valued Poster

Bypass the physics unless you pull heavy loads or race ... for normal city/highway transportation a wise man once said ..

I would be more interested in MPG

The best car anyone can possibly buy is the one they like the most, and dont mind paying for.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
I don't know if a turbo will fall apart faster, but I do know that a car with turbo can be more expensive to insure. I hope you find a great car that you enjoy.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
1NEMESIS
BANNED

Quote:

Tia, what I would do is pick the cars you're interested and then do a net search and see if you can find breakdowns on performance, reliability etc and look for a consensus on what ever catches your eye, good luck and Happy Valentines Day!

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women