Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 245
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160442
Yssup Rider59883
gman4452909
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47499
pyramider46370
bambino40301
CryptKicker37075
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35292
Mojojo33117

Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Sensia
Account Disabled

User ID: 6814
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Bad Doctors on the rise in the US

I am lucky that I have one general practitioner that is of the old breed of doctors slowly dying in this country. He is one who takes his time with you, really listens to what you say, doesn't bring a cell phone / pager into his meeting with you, and treats you with respect. In addition you pretty much get seen within 10 minutes of your appointment when you arrive. He is non judgmental and doesn't sum his patients up in 5 minutes like most do these days.

I do feel that we have a shortage of really good doctors in the US, and most seem more preoccupied with their bank accounts (and themselves) than with their patients.

I am sure I am going to get some flack on this post, as some on here probably are doctors, but if you are you know exactly what I am talking about.

A friend a mine who is a nurse posted this and I thought she was right on the money.

When good doctors go bad 12 ways to tell

The following is my opinion based on my 20+ years of nursing experience in the US, and the fact that I spend a “hella-lot” of time in doctor’s offices with my 85-year-old mother and mother-in-law. If you live outside the US, things may be different.
My personal feeling is, the number of “great” doctors is dwindling down to nothing in the US. By “great”, I mean one that has:
  • intelligence without arrogance
  • respect for what the patient wants
  • willingness to listen
  • a reluctance to pull out the prescription pad
  • and a good bedside manner.
It might be easier to catch a cloud and pin it down than find a doctor like that.
More and more, I am seeing doctors whose arrogance and incompetence factor is off the charts. I am seeing doctors who are much more interested in seeing as many patients as possible in order to make the rent in that fancy high-rise, than treating those patients properly. Now of course, there are exceptions to every rule, and I’m sure there are those of you who know some. If you do, keep the name to yourself…..or he/she will become too busy to see you!
I’m sure we can speculate on why doctors can be so terrible: the increased demands, keeping up with the ever-changing and advancing world of medicine, and the fact that they don’t teach doctors certain things they should know (like about basic nutrition and human interaction skills). I also find it very interesting, but not surprising that drug companies are major contributors to medical schools. No one graduates med school or practices medicine without some “gifts” from the oh-so-generous pharmaceutical manufacturers. (that’s a whole other post…pah-leaze!)
This post is about how you can spot a “bad” physician quickly, and what things to look for when finding a “good” one.

See if your doctor is guilty of any of the following:
  • 1. Has the doctor ever been sued for malpractice or have any outstanding legal issues? For US doctors, you can find this by going to the State Medical Board web site and typing in the doctor’s name. (google this : medical board.the state the doctor is in.gov) They will tell you if there are any suits in the past or pending. It will also tell you where they went to school, and how long they’ve been in practice. Click here to see a map and details about the uber-bad doctors. Those with criminal records or those who show up drunk to the ER.
  • 2. When you call to make an appointment for your first visit, you should eventually be directed to a live person, not a machine. You should be able to ask this person basics about the doctor–how long has this person been practicing, when did they join the group, etc. If the person says “I dunno” and is rude and doesn’t deal with you professionally, think twice. If you’re sick or need test results in the future, this is who you’ll be dealing with. Quality doctors hire quality office staff.
  • 3. You can tell this is going to be bad if you walk in the waiting room and it is packed. That means he/she probably isn’t going to see you when your appointment time is. I take this as a direct form of disrespect for the patients and the value of their time.
  • 4. Does the doctor greet you with “Good morning Ms. Smith, nice to meet you” or is it “OK, so why are you here?” If they’re rushed, they are not thinking about the best way to treat you, just the fastest way.
  • 5. Does the Dr wash his/her hands when they enter the room? Is there even a sink to wash in the exam room? If you don’t think this is important, think about what body part the doctor was examining in the previous room before he/she shook your hand….. Before they touch you, they should do this.
  • 6. When you are telling the doctor your symptoms, are they engaged in what you are saying? or are they looking at their phone or reading your chart? Your past medical information should be reviewed before they go into the room so they can focus on the current problem.
  • 7. When you mention an article that you read on the internet, do they roll their eyes and get defensive? do they generalize by saying “you can’t believe the stuff you read on the web!”? They should be able to give their opinion on what you read without thinking you’re a pain in the rump for trying to be informed about your own health. They should also be open, not instantly dismissive to alternative forms of treatment, or at least know what they are.
  • 8. If they need to order tests, are they explained in detail giving the reason why the test is being performed, if there are any side effects, and when you should get the results? or do they say “I’m ordering some tests. See the receptionist on the way out for instructions.”
  • 9. Are you called with all your test results? whether they are normal or not? Don’t accept the “if it’s normal we won’t call you” line. How do you know they even sent your test to the lab? There is no reason you should not be notified with your results by a qualified health professional who has the brains and knowledge to discuss the results with you. Here’s a recent conversation I had with my Dad’s doctor’s office staff:
  • 10. Are you told you cannot speak directly with the doctor? There is no reason that you can’t talk to the person you have hired to manage your health. If you are directed to a nurse, ask the nurse to have the doctor call you in a reasonable amount of time. For non-emergencies, give it a day or two. If you can’t get them on the phone in several days, ditch them.
  • 11. Does the doctor whip out the prescription pad before you even get out all your symptoms? The drug companies rule the medical field these days. They fund the studies that say their drugs are the best, then sell the doctors on this idea. The drug companies have now turned directly to the patient through TV and internet ads (if you haven’t noticed) and they make it sound like you need their drugs to be happy. Sometimes drugs are necessary, but they are also the quick way to get you out of the exam room, and get the next patient in.
  • 12. Does the doctor respect your wishes? That is, if you choose not to take that drug that he/she wants to prescribe, do they shove it in your face, use scare tactics, or refuse to see you again? I took my Mom to the doctor, and she wanted to prescribe injections for osteoporosis, (a common condition in post menopausal women that causes the bones to become brittle.) My mom looked up the side effects which includes bone cancer and osteonecrosis, which is jaw bone deterioration, and is choosing not to take it. Every time she sees my Mom in the office for any reason, she uses scare tactics and tells her she is not doing the right thing. ”Over 20% of people that break their hip at your age DIE, did you hear me? They DIE! This is serious! You are taking a huge risk! What would happen if you broke your hip?! If you broke your back you would be in constant pain!” (I was biting my lip because my mom really likes this gal, but it was hard to sit through)
Finding a good doctor while you are well, for regular check ups, means having that good doctor when you really need them. I can tell you from going through a major illness, that having confidence in who is treating you and being able to have a relationship with them in order to understand, ask questions, and challenge them, can make all the difference in how well you do (or don’t do) in recovery.
Try to find yourself or your loved one a “great” doctor. It may take some time, but it may also make things easier down the line.
Sensia is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

The United States has an epidemic of malpractice that has largely been unrecognized in the popular media. Oddly, the medical media has been the ones who have been most honest about this.

The Institute of Medicine did a huge study in 1999 that found that each year 98,000 Americans died from preventable medical errors. This study is still the bench mark study on this topic. Tragically, little has been done since it publication to change the grim statistics. It is the sixth leading cause of death in the U.S.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520822,00.html

http://98000reasons.org/

Another study suggests that the number is actually twice that number.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/11856.php
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Sensia
Account Disabled

User ID: 6814
My ECCIE Reviews

Yea, this does not surprise me one bit. Thanks for the links TTH..!
Sensia is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
gnadfly
Account Disabled

The main problem is there is not an oversupply of doctors. Don't believe the BS about med school seats going unfilled. Obamacare will just cause a greater shortage. The bill should have forced a 50% increase in physicians by the med schools.

The AMA is the most powerful union in the country. I know of two instances where physicians spent time in Federal Prison for Medicare fraud and didnt lose their license. "Bad Doctors" just aren't going out of business, like a free market should dictate.
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

From my perspective, it's a failure of the States to yank the licenses of bad doctors. And part of the trouble is that the licensing boards don't have enough resources in terms of full time staff to investigate all the complaints that they get. And I understand the desire on the part of the profession to keep doctors in business who make mistakes. I would never advocate that one mistake, standing alone, should cost a doctor his license. But docs who repetitively make mistakes that cost people their lives need to have serious disciplinary action taken against them and be supervised closely in their practice until it is clear that they are not a danger to their patients.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
gnadfly
Account Disabled

Its too late by then.

There's just an under supply of physicians plain and simple. Most doctors in my non-gold plated non-govt private sector health plan that are looking for new patients don't speak English as their primary language or didn't grow up in this country. And I work for one of the biggest corporations on the planet.

At least I don't live in the boon docks of West Texas.

If there were an oversupply of doctors you'd see some price wars and underachieving doctors unable to find work. But the AMA and med schools have that problem fixed.
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

It is definitely a problem. It won't be helped by turning doctors into assembly line workers and restricting choice of doctors for patients.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women