Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47428
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 09-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Luvgcz
Valued Poster

Default Changing Computers

My ten year old computer expired(would not turn on) the other day, and I would like to remove its old hard drive(20 gig.) and put it in the new computer and use it as the secondary drive. Both the expired computer and new computer are using Window XP. There are programs and files on the old drive that I need for work etc. Isn't there some way to run these programs using the copy of XP on the old drive, or am I wishing for too much? I have a program to transfer files and programs to the new computer, but that requires the old computer to be operational.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks for the help.
Luvgcz is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
FireSerpent
Account Disabled

Encounters: 29

You need something like this. Then you can remove the external hard drive and use it as an external hard drive, then transfer the files over to the new computer.
FireSerpent is offline   Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
daratu1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Or simply plug it in inside the "new" PC. If it is an IDE drive (highly likely) just ensure the jumpers are set correctly to slave and the "new" drive is the master. You'd end up booting in the "new" drive and could access the old drive through "my computer." Once that's done you would be able to run the programs off it just as before. Really, no enclosure needed. Possibly all you would need is an IDE cable for the drive and a molex power connector. I have done this for years. It's the least cost involved, and keeps everything in one place. (The computer case.)
daratu1 is offline   Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
jframe2
Valued Poster

Another look is- fix the power supply problem and then use it as your Hobby computer. This possibility is dependent upon your own situation (having a 2nd computer does not draw attention from a SO, etc), but I have been down-grading my laptops for years to be my latest Hobby computer.

Get a virus, no problem just wipe the drive and re-install the OS and you are good to go.
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
Exclamation Higher Comfort Zone

I had similar issues when I transitioned from a old 32 bit system to a new 64 bit computer.

I had a lot of great programs on the old computer that would not work on my new system and tried to hook them up with a KVM switch, but then the old computer had other issues.

I think it is best to back up your data to an external drive and when the time comes to upgrade restore your data and don't look back.

The problem is like buying a new car, but wanting to install the old seats on it because they are broken in and comfortable.

. . . You just have to step outside of your comfort zone and build a higher comfort zone with a new system.

Fast Gunn is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
badbottom
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

This is a difficult one to do. First, it is easy to edit the boot.ini to point to the old installation on the second drive.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
http://www.pcworld.com/article/14161...g_systems.html
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

However, you might run into drive letter assignment issues that could hose both systems, so make sure you run backups. I haven't messed with a setup like that in about 9 years, so I don't know for sure what other issues you might have. But it is worth a try!

The other option is to get an Ultimate Boot CD, partition the drive on the newer machine into two partitions, one with the new stuff and one with the old stuff. Copy everything from the old hard drive onto the new hard drive, and then boot to that. Or just throw GRUB or LILO on there and be done with it. But that you'd be on your own with. Or you can contact me and I can do it for you, but it would probably be cheaper to leave it as is and reinstall the applications from the old computer onto the new PC and then copy the data over.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457074.aspx

Good luck!
badbottom is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Daracus
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2
Default IMAC!

The easy fix would be to purchase a Apple IMAC! Problem solved.
Daracus is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
old-tyme-racer
Account Disabled

Encounters: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daracus View Post
The easy fix would be to purchase a Apple IMAC! Problem solved.

That is correct.
old-tyme-racer is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women