Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70384
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452866
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47433
pyramider46370
bambino40285
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35162
Mojojo33117

Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Encounters: 12
Default Obamacare web site

Please leave the politics out of this thread. I'm discussing the technical function of the obamacare web site. Please start another thread if you want to argue politics and don't hijack this one.

I was helping someone look at their health insurance choices for 2014.

We went into the obamacare web site (healthcare.gov) and the site appeared to be working fine. It wasn't working well when we looked at it last month.

It was also fairly well organized and had pretty good information, apart from the fact that the insurance policies are mind numbingly complicated when you dig into the details and start comparing one to another.

So, if you have been dreading going to the site, go to it and give it a look. Don't wait until the last minute and have to do it in a hurry, especially since the site may get busy as the deadline approaches.

I'll also point out that the rates were better than we expected, and better than what we found looking at the insurance companies' web sites. There were some subsidies and out of pocket costs that were better through the healthcare.gov site than going directly to the insurance company.

As with any insurance, government mandated or not, there were a mind numbing number of choices and gotchas on healthcare.gov and directly with the insurance companies.
GneissGuy is offline   Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
raykor
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 20
Default Same experience here...

GG,
I've had virtually the same experience. I tried to register soon after it went live and it took many attempts to do so. After about three weeks I decided to find out what would happen if I started out all over again. So, I registered using my SO's email info and I was looking at options for us within 10 minutes. I've gone back on since and it continues to work for me.

People should register...and maybe re-register, if, like me, you tried it once without success...and see if the options presented make sense for them. The site works fine for me.
raykor is offline   Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
stankass
Registered Member

Default It is getting better

I studied Economics at UT and spent a good deal of time exploring the healthcare industry and how it is used by different countries to care for their citizens. I've developed fairly strong opinions about the subject, but I am trying to leave them out of what i say here. Sorry if some of it leaks out, I don't want to hijack a thread that could lead to some interesting personal stories of member interactions with the site.

I initially signed up and started my application about a week after the site first went live. It was frustrating to have to wait around for a simple reasons or update and never have one come. Finally ten days ago I checked in again and was finally able to browse through the plans. My basic choices are a few plans that are similar to what I have now, but with $100 higher premium each month and $1500 added to my deductible, and 2nd type of plan that is considerably cheaper(in premiums, deductible and out of pocket limit), but has a much smaller network of providers. This second plan also caps my out of pocket expenses at $1500 per year, so including premiums the most I would pay for medical care, assuming I was able to stay in network for everything(even a hospital trip if needed) is ~$5,000.

As someone who had good, reasonably priced private insurance, I may be technically in a group of people who are getting a bad deal on average, but it looks like I'm not going to be hurt much.
stankass is offline   Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Thanks for the confirmation. Like I said, the site seems to be working now, and that much is good.

Let's open another thread if we want to debate whether the program is a good/bad/evil/spawn of Satan/etc. idea.

My point about the price was to point out that rates may be better through the exchange than looking up the same plan on the insurance company's web site.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Loxly
Valued Poster

Encounters: 49

Comparison shopping always pays off. Isn't that we do here? LOL
Loxly is offline   Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Whispers
Hope I haven't bored you!

Encounters: 22

I tried the site and ran into the large delays last month. What I found unusual was a call from my Insurance company a week later inquiring if I had obtained any other coverages. and now, a month later a notice of a review of a medication I have been taking for years before they will authorize it again.

Has there been any sharing of information reported where info is getting back to Insurance Companies that is fed into the system?

I'm paying the Companies full rate under COBRA concerned for preexisting conditions jacking the rate.

Not related to the site but if anyone can PM.... If a Company drops coverage for their employees.... What happens to people that have their coverage guaranteed under COBRA? Seems there would be some conflicting federal laws in play.
Whispers is offline   Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

As I understand it, "preexisting" doesn't matter any more if you sign up during open enrollment. Coverage is guaranteed during open enrollment, rates are based on age, sex, smoking status, location, and which policy you choose.

Don't miss the open enrollment period. It runs past the year end this year, but in following years, it will end on Dec 7. You have to sign up by Dec 15 to get coverage by 1/1.

Check your rates on the healthcare.gov site. COBRA coverage is often overly expensive.

COBRA is an interesting question. It wouldn't seem to be nearly as important now, other than covering till the end of the year.

I don't think COBRA covers the case where an employer terminates their health plan. COBRA lets ex-employees pay to stay on the same coverage existing employees have.

Lots of people are getting reviews, letters, etc. even if they don't go to the web site. Many companies and insurance companies are using obamacare as an excuse to screw everyone.

I was under the impression that information was only shared when you actually tried to sign up for a policy.

I can't guarantee any of the above is correct. Double check for yourself. There's a lot of misinformation out there.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women