Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > Coed Discussions - Dallas
Coed Discussions - Dallas Both male and female members can mingle and interact here. Let's keep these discussions on-topic, thought-provoking, and more importantly...entertaining!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70398
biomed160415
Yssup Rider59880
gman4452901
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47485
pyramider46370
bambino40299
CryptKicker37074
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35263
Mojojo33117

Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
DFW5Traveler
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13
Default Slang: The Next Step

Outside of the other threads use of sexual vernacular, what other perversions of our language are becoming a proverbial "fingernail on the chalkboard". Slang, street speek, word bling, et.al.

My personal pet peeve is the usage of 'a' as 'er' or 'ar'.
e.g., suga instead of sugar

It reminds me of people speaking to infants using babytalk, what does it really teach them and does it promote poor communication skills at an early age?
DFW5Traveler is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Dharma
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 1673
My ECCIE Reviews

"Axe" instead of ask. Sometimes, I wonder what the speaker is really trying to convey... and if I should duck and cover.

One that really gets on my nerves: Schlitz beer is pronounced using all of it's letters. In New Braunfels, alot of people call it "Slits".
Dharma is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Tara Evans
Account Disabled

User ID: 679
My ECCIE Reviews

The word aint. Like I ain't going to do it. My mom always would reply back with where between the a and the t.
Tara Evans is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Bushaholic
Ambassador

Encounters: 50

When someone overuses "um" too much, as a pause mechanism, when trying to find the right words to express a coherent thought. Why can't they just pause with silence?

When someone overuses the word "like". Example...I'm like, um, gonna go to the store.

When someone uses the word "pooh-ter" for "computer"

When someone says "that's my brother", or "sister", or "cousin", when there's no real blood relation.
Bushaholic is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Guest100610-3
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

I completely agree, I feel as if i need a translator some times to understand anyone that is under 26 years old. I had a young man about 2 months ago give me the "you now what I'm sayin" routine and I replied "son You have worked for me for 5 months, and I have not understood one damn word you or any one in your generation has ever said.

Maybe in a few years there will nothing but slurred grunts and acronyms for every word in the English language.

I mean what do we expect, children, and adults had rather text in abbreviations to some one that lives across the street than walking over and having a normal conversation.

Maybe we are should look at the state of the teaching our children are getting as well. 3 or 4 years ago there was a study in California high schools. They picked 1000 members of various schools and gave them a grammar test. They were all given 500 words to speak correctly, 4 percent passed with 100%. 50% failed the test, 15 or so only new how to pronounce less that 5% of the words given to them.
The horrible thing about this hole story is the members of the high schools were " TEACHERS"
Guest100610-3 is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Pearl Man
Old, but concupiscent....

Default "You Know"

The worst, all time ever, is the repetition of the phrase "you know". Drives me nuts. I find myself counting the you know's instead of listening to what the person is saying. It is not necessary and it sounds real stupid when used over and over again. If I knew you wouldn't need to be telling me. Right? An occasional. "Am I correct" or "do you know what I am saying" or something like that, but using "you know" 20 times in a sentence is just awful.
Pearl Man is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Chainsaw Anthropologist
Valued Poster

Encounters: 23
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Forte

Here's a common foible that occurs because English is a language that borrows heavily from others.

There are two words one from French, the other from Italian, both are spelled identically, FORTE

The French word refers to strength or fortitude and is properly pronounced FORT. It really is the basis of the English word Fort as in Fort Knox.

The Italian word refers to music passages, indicating that the noted section should be played loudly. It is pronounced FOR-TAY.

Merely a common error made by most who don't lionize the late William F. Buckley. (I wish had the command of the language he had!)

See my signature block below for another of my peeves. I'll probably be back later for a rant about pronouns!
Chainsaw Anthropologist is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Guest062512
Account Disabled

Encounters: 29

typed: your instead of you're

spoken: every other word is "like"
Guest062512 is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Tony Gambino
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7
Default Texting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Man View Post
The worst, all time ever, is the repetition of the phrase "you know". Drives me nuts. I find myself counting the you know's instead of listening to what the person is saying. It is not necessary and it sounds real stupid when used over and over again. If I knew you wouldn't need to be telling me. Right? An occasional. "Am I correct" or "do you know what I am saying" or something like that, but using "you know" 20 times in a sentence is just awful.
I agree "you know", "like", "um", are all a little iratating. Text mesaging will only continue to encourage abbreviated/misprounced words. I see this a lot with my younger employees. ya feel me?
Tony Gambino is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Cossetan
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gambino View Post
I agree "you know", "like", "um", are all a little iratating. Text mesaging will only continue to encourage abbreviated/misprounced words. I see this a lot with my younger employees. ya feel me?
As a writer, I was going to say that things like poor grammar, incorrect spelling and improper punctuation were right there at the top of my list as I find more and more people demonstrating difficulty with the fundamentals of the English language - particularly in its written form. With all due respect, Mr. Gambino, thank you for illustrating my concerns even though I had to put the earplugs in to dull the sound of the scraping fingernails.

(Irritating...messaging...misp ronounced...a capital Y on "Ya"...and commas and periods generally go inside the quotation marks.)

Speech and writing are two of the most powerful instruments or weapons a person can have at his or her disposal. It pays to keep them sharp and precisely honed, and to assure that those who handle these valuable implements are well-trained in their use.

It's no wonder many of our kids can't speak or write correctly if their parents, as a generation, are having so much trouble. As a culture, we are failing greatly in this area - in both the public schools and in private homes.

Mrs. Bell and Miss Kelly, my fifth- and eighth-grade grammar/English teachers, must be doing the rotisserie maneuver in their caskets.

(Seriously, Tony, no offense intended. I DID understand clearly what you wanted to communicate.)

Cossetan is offline   Quote