Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47410
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37052
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
Dr Hackenbush
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14
Default Truth about Covid 19

Let me say up front this is not about trump or fake news. My question is more about irresponsible reporting. Do you feel the media is the cause of a lot of the panic. Do we need to be cautious, yes. But come on saying people are dying followed by the same file photos from Washington state. My point, is it factual report,or yelling fire in a crowded theatre. Yesterday they reported healthcare providers testing positive for virus, sad but remember they are on the front line. Stop going for ratings.
Dr Hackenbush is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
sportfisherman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 41

I am not for Chump,but I can separate from that and say ;
The initial WH response was fairly dismissive of this crisis and the concerns seemed to be more about political considerations as opposed to medical or health aspects.It was intimated that it was press and media driven and also Democrat related.The Pandemic Party.
One factual problem has been the slow roll-out of testing here.When I checked ~ 5-7 days ago the data showed we had tested about 18,000 people with about 2000 cases at that time for a rate of 10% positives.
Once we test let's say 5 million people we could have 500,000 cases.
This crisis is real.If there has been some media driven panic aspect to it, that comes partly from the inconsistent messaging conflicting with reports from other countries and from our own scientists,doctors,and experts.It creates uncertainty.
sportfisherman is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
sportfisherman
Valued Poster

In summary ; To assess the realness just consider ; If you think the NBA,NCAA,MLB,and Las Vegas would shut down and throw away maybe 500 billion or more of revenue over a media hype thing I think you would be off-base on that.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
Dr Hackenbush
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfisherman View Post
I am not for Chump,but I can separate from that and say ;
The initial WH response was fairly dismissive of this crisis and the concerns seemed to be more about political considerations as opposed to medical or health aspects.It was intimated that it was press and media driven and also Democrat related.The Pandemic Party.
One factual problem has been the slow roll-out of testing here.When I checked ~ 5-7 days ago the data showed we had tested about 18,000 people with about 2000 cases at that time for a rate of 10% positives.
Once we test let's say 5 million people we could have 500,000 cases.
This crisis is real.If there has been some media driven panic aspect to it, that comes partly from the inconsistent messaging conflicting with reports from other countries and from our own scientists,doctors,and experts.It creates uncertainty.
I appreciate your intelligent well thought out response. Refreshing on these site
Dr Hackenbush is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
Denali68
Premium Access

Encounters: 60

The most sobering and insightful article i have read is "Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance" by Tomas Pueyo. Easy to find. It really all depends on our response form this point. Get it wrong and we could be looking at 10M deaths. The key statistic isn't the current/historical mortality rate of this bug, but rather the percent of people requiring ICU treatment (5-6%). If the healthcare systems gets overwhelmed, and the vast majority who need an ICU bed and respirator don't have one available, then that basically becomes the new mortality rate, and that's not good.
Denali68 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #6
RustyBalls
Still Looking for WD-40

Encounters: 1
Default NOT Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hackenbush View Post
Let me say up front this is not about trump or fake news. My question is more about irresponsible reporting. Do you feel the media is the cause of a lot of the panic...
Simple answer: NO! Reputable sources indicate that we may be 2-3 weeks away from what's happening in Europe. We are not taking effective measures like the Koreans did and we may pay a price in lost lives. Could be especially true in New York and other highly dense cities where social distancing has not worked.

Check out what's happening in Italy--53,000 confirmed cases and 5000+ dead as of today. Both NBC and CBS had footage of hospitals and mass caskets from Italy today.

Italy's death toll spiked today with 793 deaths, setting a new record since Friday's record 627 deaths

Source Johns Hopkins University: https://google.org/crisisresponse/covid19-map

NPR: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/21/81951...irus-epicenter

Time for all to take a vacation from the hobby.
RustyBalls is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
stikiwikit
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

No, it seems that every time I turn on the TV I am seeing Dr. Fauci who is one of the real straight shooters in this crises. The media is using him to debunk D. Chump's misleading and irrelevant gabbing to keep the record straight. The poor guy was hoarse on Meet the Press from talking on TV so much.

This is a DT crises, plain and simple.
stikiwikit is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
Why_Yes_I_Do
Valued Poster

Default Love letters in the sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikiwikit View Post
No, it seems that every time I turn on the TV I am seeing Dr. Fauci who is one of the real straight shooters in this crises...
He seems straight up, but I'm dubious of him personally, after reading his love letters to Hillary.. They came out in the FOI basket via Judicial Watch of the long lost emails that the FBI released recently. Either way, he seems a net add to the team overall - so far.

What is interesting behind those love letters is that at the time he was working on HIV and one of the meds he was purported to be looking at was Hydroxychloroquine, which is in the news again. There has been some discussion around an HIV like component to the Chinese virus. So I'll go with a cautionary wait and see on him for now and count the silverware each night.
Why_Yes_I_Do is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
Sirgenerous
Valued Poster

Encounters: 5

The numbers are what they are according to physicians more so than media.
.5% mortality rate for the flu and 2% (4x higher) mortality rate for Covid. That ain't hype but selective ignorance has an even higher mortality rate..
Sirgenerous is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #10
Why_Yes_I_Do
Valued Poster

Default Numbers lie and liars use numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirgenerous View Post
The numbers are what they are according to physicians more so than media.
.5% mortality rate for the flu and 2% (4x higher) mortality rate for Covid. That ain't hype but selective ignorance has an even higher mortality rate..
Solving an equation with multiple unknowns is tricky business. You kinda have to substitute an unknown value with known values iteratively. To wit: How many people in the sample size? Only people known to test positive? Only people that are confirmed dead of it? All people of the world, of a particular location? Etc, etc.

In short, nobody knows the actual mortality rate yet. All commentary to the contrary are, at best, reasonable speculations, based upon substituting a best (reasonable) guess at the base number and comparing against a best (reasonable) guess of the what the actual death numbers are. Juss say'n.
Why_Yes_I_Do is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
sportfisherman
Valued Poster

I think Jethro been drinking some of Granny's rheumatiz medicine that she distills out by the cement pond !!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #12
Old-T
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hackenbush View Post
Let me say up front this is not about trump or fake news. My question is more about irresponsible reporting. Do you feel the media is the cause of a lot of the panic. Do we need to be cautious, yes. But come on saying people are dying followed by the same file photos from Washington state. My point, is it factual report,or yelling fire in a crowded theatre. Yesterday they reported healthcare providers testing positive for virus, sad but remember they are on the front line. Stop going for ratings.
You can't have it both ways--though you are trying obviously.

Yes, some of the press coverage is sensationalism and sky is falling kind of stuff. That is wrong. But no more or less than Trump trying to downplay what his own experts are saying and being the Emperor with no clothes.

Both sets of exaggerations are wrong, harmful, and likely intentional.
Old-T is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #13
Chief62
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do View Post
Solving an equation with multiple unknowns is tricky business. You kinda have to substitute an unknown value with known values iteratively. To wit: How many people in the sample size? Only people known to test positive? Only people that are confirmed dead of it? All people of the world, of a particular location? Etc, etc.

In short, nobody knows the actual mortality rate yet. All commentary to the contrary are, at best, reasonable speculations, based upon substituting a best (reasonable) guess at the base number and comparing against a best (reasonable) guess of the what the actual death numbers are. Juss say'n.
Exactly, many countries are only testing the sickest people and that skews any calculations.
Chief62 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #14
sportfisherman
Valued Poster

One can perform all the mental gymnastics to minimize things and provide false re-assurance,however,the consensus among Credentialed individuals who are qualified to have a Valid opinion is that the mortality rate is higher than influenza.This would be consistent with a novel or new virus.
Chumpsters though who dismiss the intelligence community,the diplomatic corps,and myriad other sources under the guise of "Deep State",are now dis-crediting scientists,physicians,etc. in order to fit their own narrative. No one of any intelligence could go with any of this shit.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
Old-T
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

We do not need false assurances or false doom. We need clear honest information. The populous as a collective will manage to get through this, but not if people are being told lies--lies that the world as we know it is over, or lies that we'll be back to normal in a couple weeks.

Trump would do himself and everyone else a great help if he would let the experts talk about the virus (that does not include Pence) and he would go listen a few hours of Churchill audio from WWII. He needs to let everyone know we will get through, that the economy will recover, etc., but not with mythical time lines and stupid comments that give false hope (everyone who wants a test can get one, or looks like we'll have a cure any day now, etc.)

Calm honesty and leadership is what a president needs to put forth now. Bush-II right after 9/11 for example. Sadly calm, honest, and leadership are not Trumps strong points.
Old-T is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women