Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47428
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 09-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #196
billyjames
Valued Poster

Encounters: 55

B Three, I agree with you..It would've been a lot better had she retreated, being that he had no where else to go.. they were on the fourth floor. she could've backed into the hallway and called for help..and then, if he came out and confronted her,they could've had a conversation from far away, where they were both kinda safe.It sucks anyway you put it..
billyjames is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #197
Guest083119
Account Disabled

User ID: 444493

^^^. Yes. Tragic and 99% avoidable regardless of the mistake of fact. I’d be interested in what other cops (honestly) say they’d do. I truly think most would’ve pulled their weapon and backed out and kept their gun aimed at the door. Like you said. Where the fuck would the alleged intruder go???

I can almost guarantee that’s what a federal agent would be trained to do. Especially since the Castle Doctrine is not federal.
Guest083119 is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #198
bandit007
Valued Poster

I am gonna throw some real law out here. Actual Texas Penal Code

Texas Penal Code 8.02 – Mistake of Fact. (a) It is a defense to prosecution that the actor through mistake formed a reasonable belief about a matter of fact if his mistaken belief negated the kind of culpability required for commission of the offense.

She pulls in, all the floors are identical, goes to the same apartment as her's just one floor up. Put's key and door opens. As she steps in and male figure appears in what she believes is her apt.

Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:
(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation

So she believes she is in her apt(habitation). Use of force is covered by chapter 9 of the Texas Penal code. Any person in the State of Texas may use force to protect themselves in their habitation.

So it boils down to a Mistake of Fact. As long as she reasonably believed she was in her apartment her actions were legal. It doesn't make it any less of a tragedy it just doesn't make it a crime. There is no way I would have a jury trial. I would have a trial by court. A judge will be more bound by the actual law.

There are no winners. Just tragedy and losers.
bandit007 is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #199
billyjames
Valued Poster

Encounters: 55

I agree there are no winners.. And I think common sense says to get out and think about what is going on.. There could've been Four people in "her Apartment". then what? empty your gun?..She should've Backed out and waited.It's a bad deal all around.
billyjames is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #200
Guest083119
Account Disabled

User ID: 444493

You’re completely correct on having a bench trial.
Guest083119 is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #201
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark3419 View Post
Why?

Forget about the particular case this thread started on. Suppose for the sake of argument that you bump or jostle someone at a store who is having a really, really bad day. This person starts shouting and yelling at you, maybe even shoving you. You back away. The person keeps on advancing at you. Should you have to let yourself be backed into a corner first? Or maybe risk tripping on an unseen obstacle and becoming helpless for that brief time?

Anyone who has taken training for a concealed handgun license knows that it's always best to de-escalate situations, avoid fights, and try to withdraw if possible. It's simply prudent, and the intelligent thing to do ( you don't win arguments with screaming idiots - it just doesnt work). But why should a peaceful, law-abiding person have ANY duty towards a violent person, a criminal, etc?

Your duty is to YOURSELF, and your family - not towards the criminals.
So fucking gun nut don’t kill more people. You want to do everything you can to keep a fire arm, or any deadly weapon, from being used.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:23 AM   #202
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

It was entirely avoidable if she didn’t have a gun.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #203
dark3419
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post

??? She's a cop. Are you suggesting that police should only be armed while on duty?

Quote:
You want to do everything you can to keep a fire arm, or any deadly weapon, from being used.

Well, we could do that, and ensure that criminals will have the upper hand on innocent victims 100% of the time. Hope you're comfortable with that much innocent blood on your hands.

And yes, I've been in combat, and have been in at least one gunfight as a civilian - I know what it's like.
dark3419 is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #204
Chung Tran
BANNED

Encounters: 288

my reading of the law posted above, leads me to believe that if you find an Intruder in your house, one who has unlawfully entered.. you can shoot to kill, regardless of any other surrounding circumstance.. am I interpreting correctly?
Chung Tran is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #205
dark3419
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chung Tran View Post
my reading of the law posted above, leads me to believe that if you find an Intruder in your house, one who has unlawfully entered.. you can shoot to kill, regardless of any other surrounding circumstance.. am I interpreting correctly?

"(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation"

Coming home to find an intruder probably means that the home was unoccupied when he broke in. A judge or jury might view this differently than if you were occupying your home when it happened.

But yeah, if you're in your home in Texas and someone breaks in, the presumption is that the criminal means to harm you.
dark3419 is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #206
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Encounters: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chung Tran View Post
"Shoot to kill?" No. That sounds like murder.

But you can utilize force, including deadly force, to protect yourself and your home.

Words matter. Especially in situations like this.
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #207
Scribe
Valued Poster

Encounters: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Three View Post
I think Scribe’s point was that people get suicidal and have PTSD for far less.
...thank you "Voice of reason following the conversation"
Scribe is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #208
Scribe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit007 View Post
I am gonna throw some real law out here. Actual Texas Penal Code

Texas Penal Code 8.02 – Mistake of Fact. (a) It is a defense to prosecution that the actor through mistake formed a reasonable belief about a matter of fact if his mistaken belief negated the kind of culpability required for commission of the offense.

She pulls in, all the floors are identical, goes to the same apartment as her's just one floor up. Put's key and door opens. As she steps in and male figure appears in what she believes is her apt.

Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:
(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation

So she believes she is in her apt(habitation). Use of force is covered by chapter 9 of the Texas Penal code. Any person in the State of Texas may use force to protect themselves in their habitation.

So it boils down to a Mistake of Fact. As long as she reasonably believed she was in her apartment her actions were legal. It doesn't make it any less of a tragedy it just doesn't make it a crime. There is no way I would have a jury trial. I would have a trial by court. A judge will be more bound by the actual law.

There are no winners. Just tragedy and losers.
bandit +100 = thanks for the statute. Good refresher!
dark +10 = good points, all.

Reading it as written, the "Mistake of residence" is the real factor. Remove that, under any hypothetical, and it's a different story and she would be exonerated.

However - I'm going to get back to the political situation, psycho-social pressure, and desire by (I believe it will be the Dallas Mayor's office, and the Texas Governor's office) to place some onus on the Department to show "aggressive investigation", and set precedent.

I also think you're right - they will avoid the circus by her pleading "No Contest" to whatever way they charge it - and leave the matter to a bench decision. But they will balance all this (unfortunately) against the possible damage and uproar which would arise over a straight dismissal (Based on the code you just quoted).

The matter could become; "We (City of Dallas) hold our Officers to a 'higher standard', and as such believe the onus falls on our Department."

It's going to depend on the interpretation of "Is an off-duty officer, actually a civilian - or does the job transcend the working hours. (Which, those of us who know cops - know it pretty well does). I'm leaning that - if they view her as a civilian... she'll get off. But, if they view her as a working representative of the DPF, she's going to get charged and (some kind of) sentenced.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #209
Tsmokies
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

You would think a well trained officer would take a step back and request an officer needs assistance. The cops would have been there in minutes and an innocent life would have been spared. She would just be an idiot instead of a killer.
Tsmokies is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #210
Scribe
Valued Poster

Quote:
And I'm sorry TT, I forgot ... you actually get +1 here.

Yes - entirely avoidable is she had no gun. (True)

Also entirely avoidable ifs:
  • She parked on the right floor,
  • Went to the right apartment
  • The guy wasn't home when she went in
  • The guy quickly followed her (supposed) commands
  • She forgot to load her gun
  • If she worked at a Krispy Krème and instead of a gun, had a box of donuts
  • The guy WAS a criminal, and he shot her immediately (then, yes - he'd be alive)
  • There was a dog, who jumped in and "took the bullet for his master"
But you're correct - she didn't have a gun, it wouldn't have happened as it did.
You're logic is sound.

I also like that you're obviously looking at all the angles, and that's a sincere "kudo"

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women