Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70385
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47438
pyramider46370
bambino40287
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35162
Mojojo33117

Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1
Default Sad Irony for Motorcycle Rider

In Monday's Austin American Statesman there was an article on a motorcyclist who was in an anti-helmet law rallly in N.Y. who went over his handlebars , hit his head on the pavement, and died. State troopers said that the victim probably would have survived the accident had he been wearing a helmet. Talk about irony!!

I am a cyclist who usually rides at 15-20 mph, rarely hitting 30. I NEVER ride without a helmet. I've had one accident in which I hit my head and can only speculate on what might have happened had I not been wearing a helmet. I would estimate that about 75% of the motorcyclists I see ride without helmets. I understand that riding without a helmet feels much better and is cooler than riding with a helmet, but to increase your possibility of death, or at least severe injury, just for not wearing a helmet -- crazy.
SpeedRacerXXX is offline   Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Bella_HHD
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 734

For some,the freedom of riding w/o a helmet has nothing to do with "cool", it has to do with FREEDOM.

I pay my taxes and my insurance. I am well-informed adult who makes a conscious decision NOT to wear a helmet, knowing full well the consequences.

If I die, it will be knowing, at least in that small area of my life, I made a decision concerning my own life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX View Post
In Monday's Austin American Statesman there was an article on a motorcyclist who was in an anti-helmet law rallly in N.Y. who went over his handlebars , hit his head on the pavement, and died. State troopers said that the victim probably would have survived the accident had he been wearing a helmet. Talk about irony!!

I am a cyclist who usually rides at 15-20 mph, rarely hitting 30. I NEVER ride without a helmet. I've had one accident in which I hit my head and can only speculate on what might have happened had I not been wearing a helmet. I would estimate that about 75% of the motorcyclists I see ride without helmets. I understand that riding without a helmet feels much better and is cooler than riding with a helmet, but to increase your possibility of death, or at least severe injury, just for not wearing a helmet -- crazy.
Bella_HHD is offline   Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
budman33
Valued Poster

Darwin at work. hey speed, if you never go above 30, what brand of moped is that?
budman33 is offline   Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Booth
Valued Poster

He was celebrating the freedom to be stupid.
Booth is offline   Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Bella_HHD
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth View Post
He was celebrating the freedom to be stupid.
Stupid is relative; YOUR idea of stupid is most likely MUCH DIFFERENT than my idea of stupid.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if the guy was at an anti-helmet rally, he was well-educated in the possible consequences that might follow riding w/out a helmet.

I would go so far as to guess that he may have even voiced the opinion, once or twice, that if he died on his bike, he wanted to do so without a helmet. He may even have done so on the day he died.

It is NOT the government's place to protect me from myself. My body is my own. I pay my taxes and insurance.

Thank God everybody is different and that people have the right to make choices regarding their own lives (well, to a certain extent). The world would be a boring and unbearable place if all people believed and thought the same.
Bella_HHD is offline   Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Booth
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_HHD View Post
Stupid is relative; YOUR idea of stupid is most likely MUCH DIFFERENT than my idea of stupid.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if the guy was at an anti-helmet rally, he was well-educated in the possible consequences that might follow riding w/out a helmet.

I would go so far as to guess that he may have even voiced the opinion, once or twice, that if he died on his bike, he wanted to do so without a helmet. He may even have done so on the day he died.

It is NOT the government's place to protect me from myself. My body is my own. I pay my taxes and insurance.

Thank God everybody is different and that people have the right to make choices regarding their own lives (well, to a certain extent). The world would be a boring and unbearable place if all people believed and thought the same.
There really are more important things in life. Well, unless you're that one guy who just lost his life. Hopefully he was an organ donor so his death wasn't a total waste.
Booth is offline   Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Quote:
For some,the freedom of riding w/o a helmet has nothing to do with "cool", it has to do with FREEDOM.

I pay my taxes and my insurance. I am well-informed adult who makes a conscious decision NOT to wear a helmet, knowing full well the consequences.

If I die, it will be knowing, at least in that small area of my life, I made a decision concerning my own life.
When I said "cool" I meant temperature-wise. Riding my bike I get very hot under the helmet. And it is certainly your choice to not wear a helmet while riding. At least in the state of Texas.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman33 View Post
Darwin at work. hey speed, if you never go above 30, what brand of moped is that?
It's a 20-speed road bike (bicycle). And I'll bet even at my advanced age I'm in better aerobic shape than 99.9% of motorcycle riders. Resting heart rate under 60 and body fat about 12%, which is excellent for my age.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Quote:

I agree 100% with your statements. However, your car has seat belts and you are required to use them. Your car, if fairly new, has air bags, which cost you quite a bit whether you want them or not. And there are several states where riding a motorcycle without a helmet is against the law. For a short while, that was the case in Texas. Point is that the government, whether Federal, State, or Local, enact laws that they deem appropriate to protect people, whether we like them or not.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
budman33
Valued Poster

I wonder if one his final thoughts was, "damn, i wish i had a helmet"
Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Sternomancer
Valued Poster

Gotta love how it's a choice if they want to wear a helmet, but others don't get that privilege with choosing to wear a seatbelt.
Sternomancer is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #12
Joel Goodson
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

I've learned what the unforgiving pavement feels like at speed so many times at this point that I would feel like I was riding naked without one. I'd be dead a couple dozen times plus if it wasn't for the people at Shoei.

In my defense, only one of those times was not on a closed road course...but it only takes one time.
Joel Goodson is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman33 View Post
I wonder if one his final thoughts was, "damn, i wish i had a helmet"
None of us can speak for him. But my personal opinion is to agree with your statement. Very few people want to die, especially if it can be easily prevented. My goal is to live a long, healthy life, and I personally will do those simple things to reach that goal.

While alive, it is very easy to say that you wouldn't mind dying during an enjoyable activity (such as having a heart attack while making love), but I believe almost everyone who says such things really do not mean it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
budman33
Valued Poster

Quote:
None of us can speak for him. But my personal opinion is to agree with your statement. Very few people want to die, especially if it can be easily prevented. My goal is to live a long, healthy life, and I personally will do those simple things to reach that goal.

While alive, it is very easy to say that you wouldn't mind dying during an enjoyable activity (such as having a heart attack while making love), but I believe almost everyone who says such things really do not mean it.
The huberous of youth i think. If your young your freedom choices can lead to a Parent grieving over a child. if an adult your freedom choices can lead to a grieving wife and child. Seems stupid when helmets are 200 dollars. I think this freedom should only be permitted in that fantasy land where drivers actually pay attention.

Makes me wax fondly of my old 1985 Pontiac Parisenne Station wagon. Hit me, I dare ya.... shit ton of metal around me and the non social driving fucktards and I still never felt safe.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Booth
Valued Poster

Quote:

One person in this thread tries to speak for him and it begs the question, "Was it worth it"? Bella seems to think it was worth it. I'm with SpeedRacer and think it's most likely he would say it was not worth it.
Booth is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women