Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59851
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47431
pyramider46370
bambino40277
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 4781
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Question Senior citizen rent increase question in Houston Texas

My parents rent is increasing by a whopping $667.00 A MONTH ... July the 1st ... That equals $8,400.00 a year! That is just crazy to me.

They are both over 65 and live off their social security income. My mother is disabled, in ailing health and on oxygen, so moving is not really an option.

Do they have any rights?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
acp5762
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Hard to say. Your information is a bit sketchy. But if you do want to help them, do this. Find a copy of their rental agreement which would state the monthly rent. If you can prove their rent increased before the contract expired then you might have some recourse. Many rental contracts do show an increase in rent upon their renewal which is legal. But increase in rent is usually slight like about ten to twenty dollars. Research these things and get all your ducks in a row before you contact any legal assistance.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
guest043013-2
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Assuming this is after the original rental agreement has expired, I suspect anything goes. No limits on rent increases, no matter age, health, or whatever.

If during agreement, then there would have to be a clause allowing it, and that amount would be ridiculous. I am curious what they are paying now if the amount is increasing that much.

I also would say the the landlord is probably trying to get them out so he can move a more lucrative tenant into the place. Probably not looking to negotiate. For that amount, moving would be the most likely solution if the contract is expiring.

Rental contracts are slanted toward the landlord's advantage is what I found in my last rental dispute. Landlord took 4 months to get me my deposit check, clear violation of the contract and laws, but my only recourse was to hire a lawyer and sue them. By the time we could have gotten to court, would have been resolved and the court would have dismissed.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Their lease is up June 1st, 2012 so the increase does take effect after the current lease has expired.

Their current rent is $1,668.00 and it is going up to $2,335.00.

I checked online as soon as my mom told me and the exact unit my parents are now in (there are only 14 of them in the building) is listed online for $2,400.00.

They live in a pretty big building that is owned my a large management company, so there is not an individual land lord per se.

I was hoping with my moms health and limited SS income maybe there was a law to protect her from something like this, but I guess not.

It looks as if I will have to pony up the extra money starting in July.

Thanks so much for the detailed information tigercat. You are a blessing to the board
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
guest043013-2
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Wild View Post
...Thanks so much for the detailed information tigercat. You are a blessing to the board
Well, I have more than a few people call me something in relation to this board, but blessing wasn't the word they used.

In some local areas, they do have rent boards that have some control over these things, but I don't think Texas & Houston do. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you out in that regard. Here is a link to a Houston Rental Board, but is sounds like it is slanted to the landlord as well.

http://www.haaonline.org/default.aspx

I don't like it when corporations stick it to someone the way you are describing. I would figure out a way to move my parents, but that is just me.

I could ask you a whole lot of questions, like is one of your parents a veteran, can they qualify for aid & attendance to help defray the costs?

Good luck, sounds like a bad situation. At that price, a good assisted living facility like I have been looking for my mom would be cheaper and better probably.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

I agree with tigercat that the landlord has the right to increase the rent on your parents' apartment. There is no rent control in Texas that I'm aware of, like in northern and northeastern states.

But I disagree with my friend tigercat that you should contact the entity in the link he provided -- the Houston Apartment Association -- because it's an advocacy group for landlords. Try the Tenants Council of Houston instead:

http://www.houstontenants.org/

It's my understanding that the TCH is probably the most active tenants' rights organizations in the state. It couldn't hurt to contact them.

One other comment: Your parents are living solely off their social security and they're renting a place that was $1,668 a mo. ($20,016 a year) and effective 7-1-12 will be $2,335 a mo. ($28,020 a year)? No offense, but that seems a bit high under the circumstances. The rule of thumb is that rent should never exceed one-third of income. I doubt that your parents are pulling down $84,060 (3 x $28,020 = $84,060) a year from social security. They may consider moving into new digs. I lived in Houston for 10 years and rents are relatively low. They could probably get a nice one bedroom apartment for half of what they're paying now. People in poor health with disabilities successfully move every day.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Thanks for the additional advice. Unfortunately moving is not really an option because of my parents situation.

They had their home foreclosed on in 2007, then filled bankruptcy and moved into an apartment community that consisted of only 2 story townhouses. A few months into the lease my mom fell and could no longer get up and down the stairs so they broke the lease and moved into a $700 a month apartment.

Then my dad started to loose his cognitive abilities as my moms health continued to worsen and I was having to go check on them at least once a day (they were living about 40 miles from me at this point), so I asked them if I could find a place downtown by me, would they be willing to move and they just keep paying $700 a month and I would pay the balance of the rent each month.

They agreed and then broke their 2ed lease and moved to the building they are at now which is just right next door to my building.

So they have a bankruptcy and 2 broken leases in 5 years time. On paper, they are not exactly ideal tenets.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking today and I guess I should stop worrying and start being grateful, when I really thought about it I realized that I can easily earn that $667 a month by seeing 1 additional client a week, so in the grand sum of things I am blessed and worrying about something that I am easily able to handle thanks to this great industry that is so good to me.

Thanks again guys for all the advice. It really means a lot to me.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
U.R.L.
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 7

Wow...why would you air your parents laundry out there on a SHMB for the soul purpose of advertising!

I think you hit a new low....!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Advertising? Get real. I don’t have to exploit my parents to earn money. Every single day I get more appointment requests then I can handle. This is the legal section where you get great advice from knowledgeable guys who are kind enough to take their time and help others for free.

URL … your frame of mind is sick and disturbing. It must suck to live in such a small minded pessimistic world.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.R.L. View Post
Wow...why would you air your parents laundry out there on a SHMB for the soul purpose of advertising!

Here you go fucktard ... Here is a copy of the paper work ... notice the date on the paper work is the same day as this thread?

I know it blows your mind to think there are actually honest sincere hookers in the world with nothing but good intentions.

We should all thank God that every person in America not like you URL ... because America would be a pretty shit place if that was the case.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Marcus78
Premium Access

Encounters: 50

Quote:

Wow! What a stupid thing to say! LOL I didn't see it as a ThreAD as we call them in San Antonio. Besides, I think this is the one place on the board I would NOT want to go to find a lady. I hope all works out for you Brooke.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
JDNorthface
Account Disabled

Let's take this for what it is, a request by a member of the board for some advice. Life's too short, isn't it, to look for a conspiracy in everything?

Best of luck on this one, BW. I can't offer any advice to the rental situation. But I can suggest you take a passionate disinterest in defending yourself against fools.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
BlackMistress
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 125469

Can they apply for Section 8?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMistress View Post
Can they apply for Section 8?
Wow, how ambitious of you. Reaching for the stars huh? Life gets a little hard ... sign up for government assistance.

I bet you’re one the providers who receive government assistance. Living in section 8 all while you earn a great income sucking dick for a living.

Hopefully your parents won’t ever need your help.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Col. Zodiak
Account Disabled

Encounters: 37

This thread is closed at the OP request.

But, is there any reason why the insults have to fly when someone in asking for advice in a situation such as this?

Just something for all of you to think about.

Colonel Zodiak
Thread Closed

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women