Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47410
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37052
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
bambino
Valued Poster

Encounters: 29
Default The game of the century!

Now, I’m a Pittsburgh guy. Played basketball growing up in the 70’s. I remotely remembered the game, Houston against UCLA at the Dome. Alcindor vs The Big E. Over 50,0000 attended. Largest crowd ever to watch a basketball game. I’m watching a documentary on the game. It was awesome. Hayes had trouble at Houston trying to fit in from his small town roots in Louisiana. Alcindor was larger than life. As was UCLA. 1vs 2. Alcindor had an eye injury but was cleared to play. Hayes had 29 pts in the first half. More than most teams scored against UCLA in one half. The Big E and Houston won the game. UCLA won the NCAA Championship. Which they did the following year. They beat Houston by 32 points in the final four. Hayes said he never talked to Alcindor after the game. Even after years together in the NBA. Just wanted to share this with Houston fans. It was the start of big time college basketball and March madness. Good stuff.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/19...ars-later/amp/
bambino is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
bambino
Valued Poster

Nobody had interest in Houston in this part of sports history? SMH.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
VitaMan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 69

Try the 1961 duel between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle of the New York Yankees, chasing the record held by Babe Ruth. Tremendous drama between the 2 individuals, the press, and the fans.

And Roger Maris is still not in the baseball hall of fame.

Most of the voters for the hall of fame are from the press, and there was a cold relationship between Maris and the press.
VitaMan is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #4
Oralist
Premium Access

Encounters: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambino View Post
Now, I’m a Pittsburgh guy. Played basketball growing up in the 70’s. I remotely remembered the game, Houston against UCLA at the Dome. Alcindor vs The Big E. Over 50,0000 attended. Largest crowd ever to watch a basketball game. I’m watching a documentary on the game. It was awesome. Hayes had trouble at Houston trying to fit in from his small town roots in Louisiana. Alcindor was larger than life. As was UCLA. 1vs 2. Alcindor had an eye injury but was cleared to play. Hayes had 29 pts in the first half. More than most teams scored against UCLA in one half. The Big E and Houston won the game. UCLA won the NCAA Championship. Which they did the following year. They beat Houston by 32 points in the final four. Hayes said he never talked to Alcindor after the game. Even after years together in the NBA. Just wanted to share this with Houston fans. It was the start of big time college basketball and March madness. Good stuff.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/19...ars-later/amp/
The 1st game was in the Astrodome and UH won. UH lost the 2nd game, played in California. I was at the 1st game.
Oralist is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
bambino
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaMan View Post
Try the 1961 duel between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle of the New York Yankees, chasing the record held by Babe Ruth. Tremendous drama between the 2 individuals, the press, and the fans.

And Roger Maris is still not in the baseball hall of fame.

Most of the voters for the hall of fame are from the press, and there was a cold relationship between Maris and the press.
I’m very familiar with the Maris/Mantle duel. Not only was the press against Maris, so were the Yankee fans. They were behind Mantle. Mantle also was injured. While Maris was a solid player, his stats fall far short of HOF status:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=marisro01

But I’m not sure what this has to do with the thread topic.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
VitaMan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 69

Your handle is bambino - that says it all.

Mantle was a loveable alcoholic, who liked to party. Maris was a quiet, small town guy.
VitaMan is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
bambino
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaMan View Post
Your handle is bambino - that says it all.

Mantle was a loveable alcoholic, who liked to party. Maris was a quiet, small town guy.
Here’s my favorite Yankee memory:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FE1nYMg-jU4

Maz sent Mickey back to the Bronx crying. Literally. While Mantle was a boozer, he’s still considered one of the best players ever. And he played on one good leg part of his career. Mantle was also from a small town in Oklahoma. Auggie Busch loved Maris. He set him up with a Budweiser master distributorship in Fla when he retired. Maybe he sent the Mick some Buds along the way. Back to Basketball, the Cougars may have had the most talented team ever and never won a championship. Phi Slamma Jamma.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
DEAR_JOHN
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambino View Post
Nobody had interest in Houston in this part of sports history? SMH.

You probably lost people with 'Pittsburgh guy'.

Just a thought.
DEAR_JOHN is offline   Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
bambino
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN View Post
You probably lost people with 'Pittsburgh guy'.

Just a thought.
Do yinz hold a grudge from the Oiler days? Tisk tisk.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women