Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70406
biomed160489
Yssup Rider59908
gman4452916
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47515
pyramider46370
bambino40311
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35324
Mojojo33117

Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
timpage
Account Disabled

Default 70 years ago right now

10;00 pm CST, 5 am in France.....thousands of American paratroopers were on the ground in Normandy, France engaging German infantry, seizing bridges and generally raising all sorts of hell. Tens of thousands more were already loaded into landing craft from larger ships off the beaches of France and were heading for the landing beaches, or were waiting to load to head into the cauldron of Omaha Beach or the relatively easy landings on Utah. Several thousand Americans who woke up on this day in June 6,1944 would never live to see the sunset of that day.

God bless them all.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpage View Post
10;00 pm CST, 5 am in France.....thousands of American paratroopers were on the ground in Normandy, France engaging German infantry, seizing bridges and generally raising all sorts of hell. Tens of thousands more were already loaded into landing craft from larger ships off the beaches of France and were heading for the landing beaches, or were waiting to load to head into the cauldron of Omaha Beach or the relatively easy landings on Utah. Several thousand Americans who woke up on this day in June 6,1944 would never live to see the sunset of that day.

God bless them all.

The Greatest Generation
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

As a veteran, I can identify with those men, many cast into a roll that they did not ask for, but never the less fulfilled with bravery and resolve.

Let us never forget.
Jackie S is online now   Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
lustylad
BANNED

Encounters: 9

"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here."

Col. George A. Taylor, Omaha Beach, June 6, 1944

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_A._Taylor
lustylad is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Quote:

God bless them all.
Amen to that.
Jewish Lawyer is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Munchmasterman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

Quote:

God bless them all.
Watch the beginning of Saving Private Ryan with a surround sound system at full volume with the bass all the way up for the tiniest taste of what it must have been like.
Hearing the constant banging of machine gun fire on the landing craft's front door right before it drops.
Men pushed beyond bravery to stop a true tyrant, men willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to that end.

Munchmasterman is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Messenger217
Premium Access

Default D-Day

I am writing this in our rental about a mile and half west of Point du' Hoc. Been here since Monday, participation by almost exclusively French re-enactors, literally thousands in period uniforms and vehicles of every kind, jeeps, deuce and a halfs, motorcycles, ambulances, and even a few Shermans is really a site to see. Last night had a coordinated fireworks show up and down the coast from Utah Beach to as far east as we could see.

Seeing the veterans, most in wheel chairs, is really a humbling site. Starting to tear up. God Bless them all!!!!!!!!!!!!
Messenger217 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Old-T
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

A soldier who was 18 in 1945 is 87 today. That generation is passing away. There are still opportunities to see them and talk with them--to tell them "thank you". Most were never professional soldiers or sailors. They did their duty when needed and went back to their lives, but the unity of purpose still keeps them getting together for reunions of different kinds. Taking the time to talk with them is a very rewarding experience.

There is a big reunion every year in Dayton OH. WW-II vets and Korean Vets. Interesting--and somewhat sad--to see the difference six years made. And those from a decade later might as well be in a different universe of reality. I am in Ohio often--and try to be there during that reunion; I am not part of it in any way but I spend the evenings in the lobby talking with them. They always stay at the Crowne Plaza downtown. Every year the numbers are less--and for me it makes the urgency to return the following year even more.
Old-T is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:

God bless them all.
+1 Amen.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
TheDaliLama
Valued Poster

Default Upon the Alter of Freedom

TheDaliLama is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

D-Day By The Hour......interesting..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...ened-live.html

At 12:15 pm Churchill goes on the radio to broadcast:
I have also to announce to the House that during the night and the early hours of this morning, the first of the series of landings in force upon the European Continent has taken place.
In this case the liberating assault fell upon the coast of France. An immense armada of upwards of 4,000 ships, together with several thousand smaller craft, crossed the Channel. Massed airborne landings have been successfully effected behind the enemy lines, and landings on the beaches are proceeding at various points at the present time.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
rodog44
Valued Poster

Encounters: 56

My father was there. He` made it off the beach but died in the battle of the bulge.
rodog44 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Really sorry RoDog, God Bless your father and family. My Dad was more fortunate; he spent the war fighting the battle on the "Potomac" - Boiling Field....but my mom (in the WACs) spent a year of her WW II service overseas (Italy, Egypt, Palestine, Africa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodog44 View Post
My father was there. He` made it off the beach but died in the battle of the bulge.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Messenger217, your first post and it is this thread ?

I regret I didn't see your post immediately.....very heartfelt to hear from someone real time in France paying their respects..........if you can post follow up and more info, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the taking the time to share....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenger217 View Post
I am writing this in our rental about a mile and half west of Point du' Hoc. Been here since Monday, participation by almost exclusively French re-enactors, literally thousands in period uniforms and vehicles of every kind, jeeps, deuce and a halfs, motorcycles, ambulances, and even a few Shermans is really a site to see. Last night had a coordinated fireworks show up and down the coast from Utah Beach to as far east as we could see.

Seeing the veterans, most in wheel chairs, is really a humbling site. Starting to tear up. God Bless them all!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
RedLeg505
Oral Aficionado

Encounters: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenger217 View Post

I was fortunate enough, while stationed in Germany, to take a "staff tour" of Normandy and the cemeteries and museums,. from St. Mere Eglese to Pegasus Bridge to Omaha and Utah, and Pont Du'Hoc. It was amazing to see all the bomb craters they left there from the war and the gun emplacements the Rangers climbed the cliffs to assault. But of all of that, the meticulous and ordered rows of alabaster crosses at the National cemetery was the most sobering. An amazing generation is passing. My father-in-law that was in WWII passed a couple years back. We need to take the time to listen and say thanks before they are all gone.
RedLeg505 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women