Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Other US Hotspots > Iowa > The Sandbox - Iowa
The Sandbox - Iowa The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 247
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160460
Yssup Rider59887
gman4452912
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47496
pyramider46370
bambino40304
CryptKicker37077
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35292
Mojojo33117

Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
sweetblonde2
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 132424
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Help Please

I need everyone's help. I am working on my senior project...my topic is the issues manufacturing companies are having filling jobs even though unemployment is so high. I need to come up with two unique solutions to the above problem. The first solution I have come up with is to offer an in house training program to be able to get qualified applicants on the job floor. I need one more unique solution to the problem and am struggling to come up with one. Any ideas...anybody?
sweetblonde2 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
livn2do
Valued Poster

Encounters: 105

You're problem is the government and the current administration. Why work when I can suck on the government teet as long as I bow to the mighty Obama. You gonna pay me more then the government does to sit on my ass. That's right and don't forget, that pay has be enough to keep me in high end groceries as well. With my EBT card from Uncle Barrack I'm eating Lobster and Filet Mignon at least once a week. How bout my childcare. I got babies. Your company gonna give me free child care? Come on now. Ya gotta make it worth my while. That's the problem as I see it. Sorry I didn't offer up a solution for ya. Haven't we had this conversation before.

Seriously, I got nothing but I'm sure that there are a lot smarter people on this board then me. Come on guys, help a lady out.
livn2do is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Guest091515-1
Account Disabled

Encounters: 43

Hire Hispanics and Chinese. They'll work their buts off and appreciate the opportunity. How do you find them? Go to a big Chinese buffet, get the one person there that speaks english and tell them you have 50 jobs at XX.XX an hour and where. They'll beat a path to your door.
Guest091515-1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
livn2do
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssymnchr2 View Post
Hire Hispanics and Chinese. They'll work their buts off and appreciate the opportunity. How do you find them? Go to a big Chinese buffet, get the one person there that speaks english and tell them you have 50 jobs at XX.XX an hour and where. They'll beat a path to your door.
Brilliant!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
cyfan769
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 9

Jewels, you could go down the 3rd world worker route as suggested by Mnchr, or you could explore a competitive wages and benefits package with a management carrot attached. Or you could take Mnchr's suggestion to the next level and outsource the manufacturing to India and China like the Obama Regime would prefer you to do.
Good luck with your paper.
cyfan769 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Guest070713-02
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 4

Jewels, here is a real answer. Had a buddy run into this awhile back. Its called "Ban the box". Google it.

Quick summary: most companies in America refuse to hire anyone with a criminal history; especially felonies. So their so-called labor shortage is self imposed. It's not that they have shortage of workers ... its that they refuse to hire people who want to work. Because at some point in the past those workers had a legal issue.

According to my buddy, here is what typically goes on. Job applicants are forced to fill out an application online. The application process forces them to answer Yes or No as to whether they have ever been convicted of a crime. They are given very little or no opportunity to explain. Most people with a criminal history already know at that point that they have no chance at employment, so won't even finish the application process. Those that do finish are usually filtered out (i.e.removed) by the software which is used to screen the applicants. In other words the HR department is never even notified that the person has applied and they are never considered for the position they applied for or any other position either.

So your proposed solution would be something like: remove all questions about criminal history from the application process; then spread the word with the department of corrections, probation office, etc that the company in question is willing to hire ex-offenders. Applicants will probably go up by 200-500%. Problem solved.

Here is a blog post with a video which describes the issue and "ban the box": http://spectrumresourcesdsm.org/blog/?page_id=3013

Hope this helps a bit.
Guest070713-02 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
IABart
Account Disabled

Encounters: 11

My angle would be to research why the jobs are going unfilled even though there appears to be a pool of workers, and then develop solutions that target those issues.

Your first solution you assume the issue is untrained people, so you offer incentive to home-grow the pool.

Why do jobs go unfilled? (a) people don't want to do that job, (b) people don't have the skills to do that job, (c) people who have the skills don't live in the place where the job is, (d) pay is too low, (e) work is too hard, (f) benefits are not good enough, (g) combination of the above.

For a company to address (a)-(f) and balance a profit, if they are going to have to build somewhere to go to where workers are, then they will (a) relocate where they don't pay taxes, (b) relocate where it's cheap to build, or (c) relocate where it's cheap to hire, (or combination thereof). That's why they go overseas-it's cheaper to build and to hire.

If you articulate what is causing the mismatch and have some real "facts" to support your logic, and then frame your solutions, you should be fine. I view this not as an exercise to write a project with 2 solutions, rather, show that you can analyze and synthesize even if there is no good second solution, you show why you got there and defend the next best solution.
IABart is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
ferca1980
Account Frozen

Encounters: 22

Hello Sweetblonde.
Adding to the topic, we have to consider environment, yes unemployment is high and it would seem as if everyone should be eager to land a job, nevertheless if the manufacturing company is doing highly technical products, you also need qualified personnel so you are right about in house training.

As mentioned above the government giving money away isnt helping, yet that is something that as a single company you cant prevent from happening, so you have to deal with it.

Other options can be revise the strategic planning of the company and reevaluate if they want to make employing conditions more attractive via increase in salary or benefits, reducing perhaps returns to shareholders (mainting above of average returns obviously). Opening plants in areas where similar products are made so that they know they'd find appropriate qualified candidates. I know that above messages about immigration are meant to be funny but US embassies around the globe can also headhunt (just like they do for other business opportunities for US companies) for the company consider that manufacturing industry is among the most commonly outsourced activities abroad, so you could find help outside as well.

Those options come to my mind as of right now.
ferca1980 is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
sweetblonde2
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 132424
My ECCIE Reviews

Thank you to everyone for offering some good solutions. I've decided to include the solution of outsourcing in my paper (may not be completely unique, but is a good solution none the less).
sweetblonde2 is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
vegasbaby7
Premium Access

Encounters: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by livn2do View Post
You're problem is the government and the current administration. Why work when I can suck on the government teet as long as I bow to the mighty Obama. You gonna pay me more then the government does to sit on my ass. That's right and don't forget, that pay has be enough to keep me in high end groceries as well. With my EBT card from Uncle Barrack I'm eating Lobster and Filet Mignon at least once a week. How bout my childcare. I got babies. Your company gonna give me free child care? Come on now. Ya gotta make it worth my while. That's the problem as I see it. Sorry I didn't offer up a solution for ya. Haven't we had this conversation before.

Seriously, I got nothing but I'm sure that there are a lot smarter people on this board then me. Come on guys, help a lady out.
I disagree "you got nothing" & agree with everything said prior to that! Obama, the black Robin Hood lol. Only he thinks EVERY person with a job is rich & needs to pay! Too bad the "avg" American was dumb enough to vote for him. AGAIN!
vegasbaby7 is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
game1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

I will never understand why Obama get all the blame for the economic crisis, the economy was going to shit before he took office, we have as a country have had hand out issue from Ronald regan until now. And it isn't just the poor that want handouts, the rich does as well, have we forgot the bailout of Wall Street? Next Obama is going to get the blame for cancer, do I think he is doing a good job? The answer is NO, but the only president I can remember as late that did in ok job was Clinton.
game1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
livn2do
Valued Poster

I don't just blame Obama. I blame all the dumb fucks who voted him back into office as well as the idiots in the Senate and Congress who don't play well with one another. Personally I voted for Gary Johnson. That dudes a flat bad ass. Maybe Obama needs a pussy parade through 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue like Señor Bill did. Worked for him. Legalize prostitution, and certain substances that I can't mention without violating Eccie's terms of use policy and tax the shit out of both. The revenue generated would be astonishing. Problem solved.

Jewels, sorry babe that your thread has taken a turn away from its original intent. But you know how we all are.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
game1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

My question is then why just blame Obama, why not blame George w bush, all our current problems started with his administration, and now one in the 8 years he ran the country into the ground blames him.
game1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
livn2do
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by game1 View Post
My question is then why just blame Obama, why not blame George w bush, all our current problems started with his administration, and now one in the 8 years he ran the country into the ground blames him.
I do blame Bush but that doesn't change the fact that Obama and all of his "promises" turned out to be nothing more then a giant steaming turd pile. Keep something in mind though. Although Obama didn't start it he asked for us to give it to him so he could fix it and what he has done is more then double the deficit...of course he'll blame the previous administration just like those who voted for him will because no one wants to take responsibility for their actions. Bush, 2 trillion in debt after 8 years. Obama, 5.3 trillion in 4 years. Fuck, why don't we just blame Nixon, Isn't he the dumbfuck who took us off the gold standard to begin with? It's not Obama's fault that he lied in order to get elected, its the systems. Politicians are forced to lie in order to get elected because Americans do not want to hear the truth because the truth involves hard work and sacrifice and time. We are a society that craves instant gratification and until we grow up and remember that these fuckers work for us and we start holding them accountable by firing their lame asses, nothing is going to change. Democrats and Republicans a like are equally to blame. Get off your fucking party platforms and do what is right for the country for a change. Someone in Washington needs to grow a pair.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Guest070713-02
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 4

To sweetblonde2, sorry but I've been away and just got back. Why did you decide not to stick up for the rights of those previously incarcerated ? Do you think that going to jail for something should mean that no employer will ever hire you; FOREVER, and that these people should be thrown on the trash heap of society? Do you think that is ok ? Really ? That is the way it currently is because no one is willing to stick up for these people. You evidently are the same: a coward.
Guest070713-02 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women