Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Business Services
Business Services Use this forum to post on the wide range of business services available to our female members. (Website design, scheduling, photography, etc.) You may advertise your services here or ladies "in need of" business services may post here as well.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47429
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
hotlips_houlihan
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 2374
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Laptop repair

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop that is my daughter's. At one point I was having trouble with the power button. Sometimes it would come on, sometimes it wouldn't. So somebody did some kind of little fix it to make it work. That lasted for a bit, but not long. Well now my daughter needs this laptop for school. But it's not powering on it all. Anybody out there who can take a look and possibly get it fixed?

Thanks

Meg
hotlips_houlihan is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Lauren Lane
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 26
My ECCIE Reviews

There is a guy called Dr. Computer over near Midpark & 75. He does good work, cheap.
Lauren Lane is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
FLWrite
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips_houlihan View Post
I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop that is my daughter's. At one point I was having trouble with the power button. Sometimes it would come on, sometimes it wouldn't. So somebody did some kind of little fix it to make it work. That lasted for a bit, but not long. Well now my daughter needs this laptop for school. But it's not powering on it all. Anybody out there who can take a look and possibly get it fixed?

Thanks

Meg
Dell laptops are notorious for this problem. It's one of the primary reasons that Dell's are ranking among Consumer Report's highest number of problems per unit. Most reputable repair shops are intimately familiar with the problem and the fix. If your shop isn't, find a new shop. The problem generally is a broken solder joint on the mother board's power module. At least that's what I've been told. Fix is simple but not always inexpensive. Weigh the cost/benefit against buying a brand new machine. Toshiba (Consumer Report's highest rated PC's) is offering some dandy machines for a little over $400 whereas you might pay $200 for a fix for the old one. Consider the age of the battery and the hard drive on the old one also. If they are old, you'll have to soon replace those as well. Could be cheaper to buy the new machine.
FLWrite is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
jessicarivers
Registered Member

Default maybe its time

I dabble quite a bit in all things geeky... in fact, I have a version of that same computer sitting at an incall location in Johnston, RI. My friend Jaqueline and I use it to play music and random visualizations while working. These laptops are a pain to work with... they have obscure driver sets and have barely enough memory to even install windows, really. It's not a fun process. I eventually went with a linux OS meant for media centers, because it had such a small footprint. They're just old school, and really gotta be retired. i can't imagine using that to do anything productive nowadays. Plus its loud and hot with that fan! Wait until after Xmas and get a new one, Best Buy will be dumping them I'm sure.
jessicarivers is offline   Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
TrulySummer
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 59
My ECCIE Reviews

I know of someone in Dallas who can look at it and probably fix it fairly cheap. He does all my computer work and can be trusted.
TrulySummer is offline   Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
hobbygiik
Premium Access

Encounters: 24

If you would like, I can take a look at it, I'm gonna be in Dallas this next week, Wed to Sat, I'd be willing to take a quick look at it for you for free. Other than this next week, you would have to bring it to me in NRH to look at it. PM me if interested.
hobbygiik is offline   Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Capt. Lincoln F. Stern
Account Disabled

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarivers View Post
I dabble quite a bit in all things geeky... in fact, I have a version of that same computer sitting at an incall location in Johnston, RI. My friend Jaqueline and I use it to play music and random visualizations while working. These laptops are a pain to work with... they have obscure driver sets and have barely enough memory to even install windows, really. It's not a fun process. I eventually went with a linux OS meant for media centers, because it had such a small footprint. They're just old school, and really gotta be retired. i can't imagine using that to do anything productive nowadays. Plus its loud and hot with that fan! Wait until after Xmas and get a new one, Best Buy will be dumping them I'm sure.
1st of all I find it sexxy that you went with a linux distro.

I use Ubuntu (Ultimate Edition) for my machines... and having 20 years in the I.T. world there are certain lines of machines by vendors I will not touch. With Dell, its the Inspiron series. Mainly its the Consumer line which is the cheapest.

Drivers are not that hard to find, but you have to know how to dig.

With HP, I won't touch Pavillions or any of the Consumer line.

One thing would recommend to anyone who is looking to get into Linux as a solid OS, Ubuntu seems to find the odd hardware just fine and you can make it look like Windows XP
Capt. Lincoln F. Stern is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
SneakyCancer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 43

I repair computers but this problem is not notorious among dells. sure it happens with all OEMs....this is the reason people should use "standby and hibernate" option. it can be the button that is pressed down upon the hardest. Actually HP laptops have more problems than dell regarding this and a host of other issues. But heck the laptop she has is not new fellas so cut dell some slack. That model number is years old and still works. only a power on button problem....small issue.

Like stated, a decent repair guy should be able to fix you up so the the button makes contact with the switch. That is all....interim...if you can, pop the plate up and just press the button with a pen.

And POS toshiba recommendation....come on....the consumer reports are not a true representation of the product and its durability. Look whats out and the age thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLWrite View Post
Dell laptops are notorious for this problem. It's one of the primary reasons that Dell's are ranking among Consumer Report's highest number of problems per unit. Most reputable repair shops are intimately familiar with the problem and the fix. If your shop isn't, find a new shop. The problem generally is a broken solder joint on the mother board's power module. At least that's what I've been told. Fix is simple but not always inexpensive. Weigh the cost/benefit against buying a brand new machine. Toshiba (Consumer Report's highest rated PC's) is offering some dandy machines for a little over $400 whereas you might pay $200 for a fix for the old one. Consider the age of the battery and the hard drive on the old one also. If they are old, you'll have to soon replace those as well. Could be cheaper to buy the new machine.
SneakyCancer is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
ImaMrCool
Valued Poster

Encounters: 27

Shoulda told me while you were here, I woulda got ya a brand new laptop
ImaMrCool is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
ginatrugfe
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 1757
My ECCIE Reviews
Default RE: dell laptops

I agree with you FLWrite ,i have been working on computers for 7 yrs and i am always being honest and showing them the good versus the bad about each and every brand of laptop and or computer... Dells are so famous for any kind of issue and is not funny, then to get support to help you omg, but any who back on topic, it would be feasible to research and compare than just to buy another laptop out of whim and deal with what ever problems arise.

Quote:
ginatrugfe is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
FLWrite
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowshopper View Post
I repair computers but this problem is not notorious among dells. ...
Really? Because Dell thinks this is a problem also.
FLWrite is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
ginatrugfe
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 1757
My ECCIE Reviews
Default RE: dell laptops

OH DAMN !

Quote:
Really? Because Dell thinks this is a problem also.
ginatrugfe is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women