Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70380
biomed160272
Yssup Rider59841
gman4452859
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47421
pyramider46370
bambino40274
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35137
Mojojo33117

Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
wynterstark
Account Disabled

User ID: 1429
My ECCIE Reviews
Default iPad vs Android tablet?

I was thinking of investing in a new iPad, I'm such a tech junkie that I just can't resist the new toys. I thought that it might be fun to see what everyone else had to say about it. What I've heard has ranged wildly, all the way from "It's useless because it's basically an iPhone that you can't use to make calls" to "It's awesome, the best invention since toast." and even "Wait for Android, they'll be better."

Well, Android finally has a tablet but I'd love to know what the general populace thinks about these toys? What are the most awesome uses you've found? The best apps? The biggest flaws? I'm a huge fan of Android because I prefer the open source to Apple's attitude of "we own teh internets... forever" attitude but Apple does make a solid platform and an amazing interface. Help me decide!
wynterstark is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Guest071613-2
Account Disabled

User ID: 20196
My ECCIE Reviews

I have the iPad and I love it, but I find myself still using my laptop for the things the iPad won't do. I don't have the accessory pack so typing can be a pain in the ass on the touch screen. I can only watch streaming video from Netflix or YouTube but stuff like Java is not supported by iPad so that sucks, no chat, etc. Other than that, I love it. It's super fast, and easy to tote around.
Guest071613-2 is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Torito
Ambassador

Encounters: 23

Moved from Dallas Coed Discussions
Torito is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
johnnybax
Ambassador

Encounters: 1

iPad. I love mine and use it all day. It's fast, resolution is ridiculous and battery life is awesome!
johnnybax is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
johnnybax
Ambassador

Plus you can't go wrong with Apple.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
wynterstark
Account Disabled

User ID: 1429
My ECCIE Reviews

Dannie, I tested out the touch screen with my typing skills and it's not too different from my netbook but it has the added advantage of being lighter and more portable with longer battery life. The no chat aspect is something that I hadn't thought about and it's definitely a drawback but I'm interested to see what everyone else says.

Johnnybax, you're right about the resolution and I will admit that it's fast. I don't know if I would swear by all Apple products across the board though, I was a little disappointed by how they handled the antenna issues with one of their last iPhone models. However, maybe they learned their lesson.

Does anyone own any of the Android tablets that have come out recently? I'd love some input on those too. Also, how durable is the iPad? Has anyone dropped, kicked, stepped on or otherwise mistreated their Apple? I've seen a lot of iPhones with broken screens and I'm a little worried about having a 500.00 paperweight. I'd say doorstop but it's too thin to serve that purpose.
wynterstark is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Silent_Assassin
Registered Member

Try Lenovo Pad called LePad which of course uses Android OS but i just think its better than Xoom.
Silent_Assassin is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
johnnybax
Ambassador

Search Amazon for "IPad Otterbox" and read the reviews. If your concerned about dropping it I would definitely consider the Otterbox.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
EasyInAustin
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12

Of those two, pick up a used iPad from someone who had to have the latest and greatest. There are about 5000 apps in the app store. I think Android has less than a tenth of that.

Personally I think it is a good time to hold off unless you just want a toy. The tablet market is just getting started.

Apple had the OS from their phone business and of course they have full computer OS as well. For now, an iPad is still as much phone as computer, but Apple hasd both technologies. Android is also a smart phone OS, unlike Apple Android does not come from a family where there is also already a big brother that represents a full, stable OS. They are having to grow Android some towards the computer OS end, and it is still very much under development in a new area and they have some problems, among others security issues.

The tablet market is still mostly iPad, for now. Apple also has a secondary market advantage on all the competition - there is a limited world capacity to manufacture the LCD displays in this size range, and Apple has mostly absorbed that supply. This is one of the reasons why some would like to see LG follow through with their intent (at least at one time, not sure the current status) to get directly into the tablet market.

But all these initial imbalances and limitations will level out. Also a lot of companies made the mistake of scrambling to try get basically an iPad knockoff out to market, and mostly wasted time and money when they were lot more than a day late and a dollar short. Now most have realized they missed that wave, and are now looking more at products that can be differentiated from the iPad. You will see more and more powerful units entering the market in similar form factors.
EasyInAustin is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Chica Chaser
Premium Access

Encounters: 7

Whats the word on incorporating a phone into them? It has to have a cell signal for internet access right?
Chica Chaser is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
guest040711-1
Account Disabled

Encounters: 60

I sold my ipad and got the Mac Book Air 11 inch, it is slightly heavier than the ipad but way better IMO. I have itunes on a 500gig EHD and also keep private info there so if anyone picks up my Mac it is clean.
guest040711-1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
thx
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

I went the netbook route since I need to quickly type and access certain applications.

Also, see ipads and tabs in meetings as well.

There will be more than 50 million tablets manufactured this year.
thx is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
TxToast
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

It all depends on what your perceived need is. For media consumption I think the ipad still has the edge. At this point neither platform has an active digitizer (like the E121) so you cant really use it for handwriting which is a surprisingly powerful tool (OneNote). I have a viewsonic G-tab thats been rooted and is running an aftermarket ROM (actually very easy to do). I've got logmein ignite loaded so i've got global access to my desktop as needed. I normally carry both the E121 and tablet on trips. Most of the time the E121 stays in the hotel (sometimes I just leave it at home).

While on paper both the ipad and android tablet are roughly even there is actually no comparison looking to the future. The ipad is a wonderful piece of hardware but is a totally locked down system. The android OS is evolving much more quickly and the hardware is "open"...within a few years android sales (and capabilities) will far outstrip anything apple can provide.

Within 5 years or so you'll see android replace windows as the worlds primary operating system...
TxToast is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
R.M.
Not A Stepford Wife

User ID: 14483
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I just bought an IPad and it is something to get use to but I like it. I am saving for a Mac Pro book.
R.M. is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

I bought an iPad last fall and think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has all of the great features of the iPhone without having to deal with the worst iPhone feature, that being the awful battery life.

I had been a BlackBerry user for years and was one of the first to buy the iPhone 4. I used it for 4 weeks and never liked the email capabilities or the battery life. When Apple announced that people could trade in their new iPhone 4 because of the glitch, I traded for a BlackBerry Torch and have never regretted it.

Now I have the best of both worlds. I have the excellent email capabilities and battery life of the Torch and the outstanding features of the iPad! That is about as good as it gets!
Guest040616 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women