Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47428
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #256
Grifter
Valued Poster

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doove View Post
Good. So you admit that under the right circumstances, you'd be ok with forcing people to buy something.

Not the point. The point is that under the right circumstances, you've admitted that you'd be ok with forcing people to buy something.

I'm sure that 230 years ago, the founding fathers never envisioned anything even remotely like the current situation with regards to health care. Nor did they, i'm sure, have any idea that some day we'd all be driving around in 2000lb deadly vehicles at 70mph. So the extent to which my premise has no chance of occurring is wholly irrelevant. We're talking about the concept of it, not the details.

There is now, now that you've admitted that it essentially depends on the situation.

Sure, but the question is no longer "can the government force you to buy something?". It's now "is this a situation that justifies the government forcing you to buy something". Totally different argument than the one you've been making.

As a logistical matter, you can say that. But as a practical matter, it's pretty dumb, don't you think? Just as dumb as if i were to say "it's your choice to not have a job that pays for your health insurance, so if you're in a situation where you need to buy it yourself, that's a decision you've made".

See how that works?
I guess my retort would be Doove that I would be opposed to everyone having to own a car to begin with. That would be a more accurate description of my position rather than my previous statement regarding your silly hypothetical. Im not an absolutist I dont believe in anything is absolute. Taken to any extreme something you would not normally do is completely acceptable. If there was no oxygen and the government mandated that everyone had to buy an oxygen tank. I wouldnt stand there and hold my breath in defiance. However what we are talking about is not that.

It is your choice to not have a job that doesnt have health insurance, I started, own and run a small business. I got a loan from a bank, assumed a shitload of risk and worked my ass off to make it work. I dont pity anyone who hasnt done the same but laments their lot in life. Assume the risk, take a shot and fail and I will respect you a damn sight more than someone who complains things arent going their way while not doing anything to improve their situation but hold someone else makes people treat them more to their liking.
Grifter is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #257
CJ7
Valued Poster

hypotheticals, pros/cons aside, it all boils down to one man who may, or may not let his political affiliation weigh in on his decision. We will never know.

One Man.

I dislike that more than I do any mandate
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #258
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post
hypotheticals, pros/cons aside, it all boils down to one man who may, or may not let his political affiliation weigh in on his decision. We will never know.

One Man.

I dislike that more than I do any mandate

I agree she's ugly but Sotamyer claims to be female.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #259
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
I agree she's ugly but Sotamyer claims to be female.

youre right, Kennedy is too old to decide anything other than what kind of gravy he wants on his mashed potato's.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #260
Doove
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
I guess my retort would be Doove that I would be opposed to everyone having to own a car to begin with.
And i'm opposed to people getting sick, so i'm not sure what your point is.

Quote:
Im not an absolutist I dont believe in anything is absolute.
Then you should have no problem with my point, which was to not allow you to argue in absolutes.

Quote:
Taken to any extreme something you would not normally do is completely acceptable. If there was no oxygen and the government mandated that everyone had to buy an oxygen tank. I wouldnt stand there and hold my breath in defiance. However what we are talking about is not that.
And what we are also not talking about is forcing people to buy broccoli. It's somewhere in the middle and, frankly, it's probably closer to forcing people to buy oxygen than it is forcing them to buy broccoli.

So what the argument should be about is whether this falls on the acceptable side of the line, or the unacceptable side of the line. What the argument should not be about is whether or not a line even exists.

Quote:
It is your choice to not have a job that doesnt have health insurance, I started, own and run a small business. I got a loan from a bank, assumed a shitload of risk and worked my ass off to make it work. I dont pity anyone who hasnt done the same but laments their lot in life. Assume the risk, take a shot and fail and I will respect you a damn sight more than someone who complains things arent going their way while not doing anything to improve their situation but hold someone else makes people treat them more to their liking.
No idea what this little rant has to do with the healthcare mandate so i won't bother to comment.
Doove is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #261
nwarounder
Valued Poster

Quote:
IMO, the tax application has stronger legs. In 2015 when the first penalties are charged to individual/s SS accounts for not having insurance, could be the key to the door.
Are you 100% sure on this? I cannot find this anywhere. The more I dig into this bill, the more it looks as if it will change nothing. From what I have read, they do not take away from SS, yet levy a tax via the IRS if you do not purchase insurance. BUT, the law also exempts all citizens from criminal responsibility and tax levies for those who do not pay the IRS tax. Seems toothless to me?
nwarounder is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #262
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwarounder View Post
Are you 100% sure on this? I cannot find this anywhere. The more I dig into this bill, the more it looks as if it will change nothing. From what I have read, they do not take away from SS, yet levy a tax via the IRS if you do not purchase insurance. BUT, the law also exempts all citizens from criminal responsibility and tax levies for those who do not pay the IRS tax. Seems toothless to me?

Hell no Im not sure ... I read so much for whatever reason, I have no idea what sure is anymore.. this was what I more or less muddled into words

http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=336389
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #263
nwarounder
Valued Poster

Quote:
Hell no Im not sure ... I read so much for whatever reason, I have no idea what sure is anymore.. this was what I more or less muddled into words

http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=336389
LOL, me either. The more I read the more I can't understand the purpose of the law in the first place. It seems really only symbolic in nature if there is no penalty for not buying insurance. And I don't think there is a penalty.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #264
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
LOL, me either. The more I read the more I can't understand the purpose of the law in the first place. It seems really only symbolic in nature if there is no penalty for not buying insurance. And I don't think there is a penalty.
I do think the law will reduce the cost of healthcare longterm, and benefit small business. Both are good for everyone concerned. If it really takes 32 million people off social medicine that makes it even better IMO

Jackie said after he and his cpa crunched the #s, his small company will deff save $ allowing him to take home more of his bottom line. Hard to argue when the proof is in the pudding.

well, maybe not.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #265
nwarounder
Valued Poster

Quote:
I do think the law will reduce the cost of healthcare longterm, and benefit small business. Both are good for everyone concerned. If it really takes 32 million people off social medicine that makes it even better IMO

Jackie said after he and his cpa crunched the #s, his small company will deff save $ allowing him to take home more of his bottom line. Hard to argue when the proof is in the pudding.

well, maybe not.
I'm inclined to believe "maybe not". But hey, I don't have a lot of faith in mankind either. I think as soon as everyone realizes there is no real penalty for not buying insurance and they still get free healthcare, the masses won't buy it, and that defeats the mandate even if SCOTUS declares it's constitutional.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #266
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
I'm inclined to believe "maybe not". But hey, I don't have a lot of faith in mankind either. I think as soon as everyone realizes there is no real penalty for not buying insurance and they still get free healthcare, the masses won't buy it, and that defeats the mandate even if SCOTUS declares it's constitutional.

Kennedy isnt on the fence. IMO he will dissect the bill to a point that makes it counter productive. If that happens, the parts of the HC law that are in effect will go bye bye, and the back tracking begins. I posted a link yesterday containing emperical data the proves beyond a doubt, after legislation is introduced and gets derailed for whatever reason, the cost of insurance rises dramatically.

with obamacare no penalty?

without it, penalty for the insured.

crazy stuff.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #267
Grifter
Valued Poster

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doove View Post
And i'm opposed to people getting sick, so i'm not sure what your point is.

Then you should have no problem with my point, which was to not allow you to argue in absolutes.

And what we are also not talking about is forcing people to buy broccoli. It's somewhere in the middle and, frankly, it's probably closer to forcing people to buy oxygen than it is forcing them to buy broccoli.

So what the argument should be about is whether this falls on the acceptable side of the line, or the unacceptable side of the line. What the argument should not be about is whether or not a line even exists.

No idea what this little rant has to do with the healthcare mandate so i won't bother to comment.
Last first, I was responding to your comment about jobs and insurance.
Quote:
As a logistical matter, you can say that. But as a practical matter, it's pretty dumb, don't you think? Just as dumb as if i were to say "it's your choice to not have a job that pays for your health insurance, so if you're in a situation where you need to buy it yourself, that's a decision you've made".
I dont want the government making people buy things from other people. Find a workaround and get back to me. Thats the jist of my opinion.
Grifter is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women