Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70425
biomed160651
Yssup Rider59974
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47586
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35413
Mojojo33117

Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6
Default Music Media

Just wonderin'.....

How many of these do you have . And do you use them all regularly ?

A) 78rpm records ........

B) 45rpm records .........

C) 33rpm records ..........

D) Cassette tapes

E) Eight Tracks

E) CD's..........

F) Ipod? MP3? Pandora (etc.)
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Guest083011
Account Disabled

And my answers:
Maybe one 78. A few 45s. Bunches of 33s. Along with a turntable to play all of it. Bunches of cassettes (I'm worried about age of tape, just like master recordings, and cassette tape was junk in comparison to mastering tape (3M 256 or Ampex 456, the stuff isn't even made anymore, NOS is valuable). Bunches of CDs. Did I mention all my Betamax tapes? Betacam (what Betamax was derived from) was the broadcast standard and still is.

As to usage, I haven't used the turntable in decades (I hate to admit it). Records do sound better. I even worked on a few direct-to-disc recordings in the seventies and the sound and dynamics was/is awesome. LPs are making a come back. Cassettes, I have played a few of them recently (with in five years). The CD player went belly-up at the beginning of the year (a Magnavox CDB 650, with the electronics reworked by Audio By Van Alston). Frank Van Alston said to go with a player from OPPO http://www.oppodigital.com. I haven't pressed "play" on a Beta cam deck in years (last was D-Beta decks). A Betamax has been even longer since I fired one up.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

A) 78rpm records ........ Bunches, actually. I inherited some along with an old Victrola. I don't know if they're valuable or not. Been meaning to find out one day. My guess in no, but who knows. Haven't taken one out in ages.

B) 45rpm records ......... A smattering. Probably 50? Assuming my mother hasn't sold them in a garage sale. Haven't taken one out in ages.

C) 33rpm records .......... A shit load. 250? Again subject to the garage sale caveat. Haven't taken one out in ages.

D) Cassette tapes Not too many. They just tore up.

E) Eight Tracks Not too many. They tore up, too.

E) CD's.......... Several hundred, probably. Played form time to time, though not as much as in the past.

F) Ipod? MP3? Pandora (etc.) One iPod. Played pretty regularly as it's in my car hooked up to the manufacturer's sound system. Not much for quality, but you can't beat the convenience. And as deaf as I am, sound quality takes a back seat, especially in a such a poor auditory environment as an automobile.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

What the hell is an eight track or a 78?
I know a 33 was an LP and a 45 was a single..but a 78???
And I have zero idea of what an eight track is.

I lost all my vinyl in a fire sadly and I had some good stuff.
Cassettes got lost in the shuffle..between the car, house, friends parties etc.
CD's...Hmmm...probably about 200 here and about the same in England.
Even though I have a nano I still play CD's. Wierd suppose.
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

78 Record...

8 Track Tape...

Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Dear Camille, I would be happy to give you a personal tour of all the formats and their background. I'll make sure it's just you and I so there are no distractions during the tutorial.

Nice pix Mokoa!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

I have several dozen old LPs from the late '60s and early '70s. Some of them are of sentimental value and I probably cannot find them in downloadable form, so I'm thinking about getting them digitized. I found a guy to transfer some of Dad's old home movies from the 1950s to DVD, and he said he can do this. By the way, many of those old films were 50 years old when transferred and were still in great shape!

I understand that a high-quality LP played on a quality turntable actually does sound better than a digital reproduction. That's something I've never understood. I'm told the analog medium produces a "warmth" that can't be easily reproduced digitally.

An electrical engineer friend has a high quality turntable and a couple of old McIntosh amps and preamps from the 1950s or '60s. They actually have tubes in them! He says that by tweaking this old equipment, he can produce a warmer sound that has a less "clipped" quality about it.

I'm not sure my ears are good enough to be able to tell the difference, though.

Like most folks, I have a large collection of music loaded onto iPods. The quality is mediocre, but fine for mobile listening.
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
I have several dozen old LPs from the late '60s and early '70s. Some of them are of sentimental value and I probably cannot find them in downloadable form, so I'm thinking about getting them digitized. I found a guy to transfer some of Dad's old home movies from the 1950s to DVD, and he said he can do this. By the way, many of those old films were 50 years old when transferred and were still in great shape!

I understand that a high-quality LP played on a quality turntable actually does sound better than a digital reproduction. That's something I've never understood. I'm told the analog medium produces a "warmth" that can't be easily reproduced digitally.

An electrical engineer friend has a high quality turntable and a couple of old McIntosh amps and preamps from the 1950s or '60s. They actually have tubes in them! He says that by tweaking this old equipment, he can produce a warmer sound that has a less "clipped" quality about it.
Those Mac amps are worth thousands even the smaller amps (I have a MC225). There is a warmth that tube amps produce that digital still doesn't achieve but is getting closer. Actually have transistors power the low end and tubes the upper. Sorry about the audio geek mode.

There used to be a lot of places that would do the film to video/DVD transfers. Not so many these days. Do it sooner than later as the film continues to age.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
What the hell is an eight track or a 78?
I know a 33 was an LP and a 45 was a single..but a 78???
And I have zero idea of what an eight track is.
Camille, the numbers refer to the RPM (rounds per minute). Old 78's were 78 RPM, 45's are 45 RPM and 33's (actually they were 33 1/3 RPM) are 33 RPM.

A 8 track was a tape box that stuck in car tape players. Much larger than cassette tapes. They were popular because they allowed you to jump from one grouping of 4 songs to another grouping of 4 songs without having to fast forward through all the songs in between.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
Camille, the numbers refer to the RPM (rounds per minute). Old 78's were 78 RPM, 45's are 45 RPM and 33's (actually they were 33 1/3 RPM) are 33 RPM.

A 8 track was a tape box that stuck in car tape players. Much larger than cassette tapes. They were popular because they allowed you to jump from one grouping of 4 songs to another grouping of 4 songs without having to fast forward through all the songs in between.
And they generally soundly like crap and broke a lot (absolutely the cheapest tape available. And the heads fell out of alignment too so you'd hear two tracks instead of one. It was a format that should have died much more quickly than it did.
Head stack layout:
1 left
2 left
3 left
4 left
1 right
2 right
3 right
4 right

And the head would move up or down. All covering a 1/4" tape.

I know I've hit geek mode (again).
Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
There is a warmth that tube amps produce that digital still doesn't achieve but is getting closer...
I find it interesting that even with rapidly-advancing technology, we still seem not to have gotten to the point where digital media can accurately reproduce that audio "warmth."

When I asked my engineer friend about that, he said something like this: The technical tasks are more difficult than we might have thought 10-20 years ago, but not insurmountable. Perhaps it is generally felt that they may not be worth significant R&D costs, since there just aren't all that many true audiophiles. Most people are simply interested in mediocrity at a lower price. The demand for high-end amplifiers may be very small.

SR Only, I am curious as to whether you would agree with that assessment.

Similarly, I find it interesting that filmmaking seems to have gone so long without serious challenges from digital techniques. Quality reproduction of the warmth, richness, and color seems to be an extraordinarily difficult task. My understanding is that producers have only recently become intererested in fully digital processes.

Yes, those old 8-track tapes were pretty sorry. And do any of y'all remember those big, bulky carrying cases? You needed one about the size of a fishing tackle box just to carry around a dozen of those bulky old-style cartridges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
There used to be a lot of places that would do the film to video/DVD transfers. Not so many these days. Do it sooner than later as the film continues to age.
I had that done about four years ago and have no idea whether the company is still in business.

Dad found a bunch of old film cans in his closet and said he didn't figure they were still any good. He hadn't watched them in decades and no longer had a projector. When I took them to get checked out, I was mildly surprised to find that they were still in good shape.

You might check with your parents (or grandparents for you younger folks!) to see whether they have any old home movies. They were very popular in the '40s, '50s, and '60s. My nieces and nephews got a huge kick out of seeing their parents when they were kids.

I had the audio/video guy make a bunch of DVDs from Dad's films and sent them to everyone in the family. Great memories!
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
I find it interesting that even with rapidly-advancing technology, we still seem not to have gotten to the point where digital media can accurately reproduce that audio "warmth."

When I asked my engineer friend about that, he said something like this: The technical tasks are more difficult than we might have thought 10-20 years ago, but not insurmountable. Perhaps it is generally felt that they may not be worth significant R&D costs, since there just aren't all that many true audiophiles. Most people are simply interested in mediocrity at a lower price. The demand for high-end amplifiers may be very small.

SR Only, I am curious as to whether you would agree with that assessment.
Your engineer friend is spot on. Tony Bongiovi has some technology that supposedly is getting close but I haven't listened so I cannot vouch from personal experience.
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/430272.html
http://www.bongioviacoustics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Similarly, I find it interesting that filmmaking seems to have gone so long without serious challenges from digital techniques. Quality reproduction of the warmth, richness, and color seems to be an extraordinarily difficult task. My understanding is that producers have only recently become interested in fully digital processes.
Film has inherent grain to it, so with digital you can get higher resolution and editing is a breeze as opposed to editing film. But I bet film has a warmth just like audio. In full theaters in full presentation it is hard to do a "side by side" comparison.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokoa View Post
78 Record...

8 Track Tape...

That 8 track tape thing (2nd pic) looks like something you keep drill bits or spanners in. It's very bulky.
I figured that the 78 was a record..but if a 45 played a single and a 33 was an LP....how many songs were usually on a 78? 3 or something? Was it like a sample of an LP?

C xx

Btw..the amps post was interesting...esp the bit about how the "warmth" is difficult to re-create. Thanks for sharing that guys.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
and I'm guessing there were 8 tracks in total on the tape?
That sucker looks massive though.
It wouldn't fit in your back pocket easily would it lol?

xxx
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
and I'm guessing there were 8 tracks in total on the tape?
That sucker looks massive though.
It wouldn't fit in your back pocket easily would it lol?

xxx
As I remember they held the full album of an LP...but separated the songs into groups of 3-4 songs...4 groups in all. I have no idea where the 8-Track name came from...lol.

But they were the easiest tape to put in the car, and get tuned to songs...when driving down the road at excess speed, with a doobie in one hand, a beer in the other, while one of those arms is wrapped around your honey.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women