Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 247
Top Posters
DallasRain70408
biomed160545
Yssup Rider59915
gman4452927
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47532
pyramider46370
bambino40313
CryptKicker37081
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35351
Mojojo33117

Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Guest061614
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5
Default Win 7 HDD Failure Alert?

I have an Acer laptop about 1.5 years old. This morning I began receiving alerts that the HDD is reporting an impending failure and prompting me to start a backup process. The drive is Western Digital. Over the years I have learned to ignore many Windows suggestions and "help" as they are generally worthless. Is this something I should believe and be concerned about? I am real-time backed up with Carbonite, but of course would want to avoid the hassle of installing a new drive etc.
Guest061614 is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
instfixer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

NOW!!
Copy all your documents on a thumb drive or CD
Copy all your pictures too!
Copy all your Browser bookmarks
Copy anything else that you can think of

Forget about JUST getting a new hard drive
Get a new [my opinion of course, a business class Dell]

The cost to rescue date from a screwed up hard drive will cost thousands
instfixer is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

A virus could also be a possibility. But making new backups is the answer to that as well. However, before you do anything with backups, use a decent virus program to scan that. Popping a new drive into a machine is half an hour. Reloading/installing all the software is the time consuming thing. Depending on that issue will be the decision point about just tossing it and getting something new.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
ElumEno
In it for the DATY!

Encounters: 21

Sounds like a S.M.A.R.T. drive warning to me.
ElumEno is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Skittlez
Premium Access

Encounters: 140

Strongly suggest that you follow instfixer advice. I currently have a portable HD that has lotsa pix, videos, etc on it and it started to flake a few weeks ago.... now it is unusable. I was only able to get about 1% off of it. I should have started MUCH sooner and copy the irreplaceable files first. Now I am faced with putting it in a new enclosure, trying to figure out how to coax it a bit to be recognized, scan it, etc.... any experts out there? Please PM me.

1Tb USB 2.0/3.0 drives are <$100 -- very cheap insurance as compared to the alternative (if your files are important to you).
Skittlez is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
ElumEno
In it for the DATY!

Encounters: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
1Tb USB 2.0/3.0 drives are <$100 -- very cheap insurance as compared to the alternative (if your files are important to you).
Just remember that when it goes down... and it will... it is a TERAbyte of information that is lost with it.
ElumEno is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
instfixer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

From Skittlez
""Now I am faced with putting it in a new enclosure, trying to figure out how to coax it a bit to be recognized, scan it, etc...""

Sorry dude, my hard drive was squealing and it didn't occur to me it was dying
Cost me ~$2500
instfixer is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Luv4Fun
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6

IMHO, I'd first be suspect you've got malware on your laptop. Send me a PM or screen shot with the warning message. But I sure the heck wouldn't click the "backup" button until I verified the alert was genuine windows. A quick Google search of the exact message is usually all it takes.

Next, if the error is real, your best bet is to clone the drive. You want to go get a new laptop hard drive (buy the bare drive so you know the speed/capacity/warranty and make sure it'll work in your laptop) and a USB enclosure. Go home, put the drive in the enclosure and connect to your laptop. Then you want to clone the whole hard drive over to the new one. I'm pretty sure WD drives still include the utility you need so it's just point and click. Otherwise download.com should be able to provide you a source for a freeware disk clone utility (read the reviews to make sure you don't pick someone's junk.)

Next, swap out the drive in the USB enclosure for the drive in your laptop. Youtube 99% of the time has a video on how to do this for any laptop out there. If you need help, tell me the model# of your laptop. It's usually VERY easy.

But I'll bet the error is fake / malware.
Luv4Fun is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Guest061614
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4Fun View Post
IMHO, I'd first be suspect you've got malware on your laptop. Send me a PM or screen shot with the warning message. But I sure the heck wouldn't click the "backup" button until I verified the alert was genuine windows. A quick Google search of the exact message is usually all it takes.

Next, if the error is real, your best bet is to clone the drive. You want to go get a new laptop hard drive (buy the bare drive so you know the speed/capacity/warranty and make sure it'll work in your laptop) and a USB enclosure. Go home, put the drive in the enclosure and connect to your laptop. Then you want to clone the whole hard drive over to the new one. I'm pretty sure WD drives still include the utility you need so it's just point and click. Otherwise download.com should be able to provide you a source for a freeware disk clone utility (read the reviews to make sure you don't pick someone's junk.)

Next, swap out the drive in the USB enclosure for the drive in your laptop. Youtube 99% of the time has a video on how to do this for any laptop out there. If you need help, tell me the model# of your laptop. It's usually VERY easy.

But I'll bet the error is fake / malware.
Thanks for EVERYONE's suggestions. Bought a new drive and am waiting on delivery of drive enclosure. I am backed up with Carbonite for all critical data so if I have a failure prior to the swap it's not the best of things, but not a huge pain in the ass.
Guest061614 is offline   Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
jframe2
Valued Poster

Agree that a huge number of these errors are fake.

A suggestion when these errors come up is to do some web searching based on whatever the error says. There are lots of fake "Windows Error" messages that are tied to a virus.

Good luck.
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
OldGrump
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

I like redundancy when backing up. Once you have your data saved to a separate drive (thumb, external usb, cloud, etc.) make an image file that can be used to restore what you had OS and all.

I like http://www.backup-utility.com/ It is simple and it is free. I liked it so well, I tried to pay them but they had no process to accept money.
OldGrump is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women