Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70406
biomed160489
Yssup Rider59908
gman4452916
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47515
pyramider46370
bambino40311
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35324
Mojojo33117

Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Sensia
Account Disabled

User ID: 6814
My ECCIE Reviews
Default human Foetus feels no pain before 24 weeks

Human foetus feels no pain before 24 weeks, study says

Finding in major review of scientific evidence strikes blow to those seeking to reduce upper time limit for abortion

Ultrasound scan of a foetus. The report found that connections in the foetal brain are not fully formed before 24 weeks. Photograph: Vincenzo Lombardo/Getty Images

The human foetus feels no pain before 24 weeks, according to a major review of scientific evidence published today.
The connections in the foetal brain are not fully formed in that time, nor is the foetus conscious, according to the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
The findings of two reports commissioned by the Department of Health strike a blow to those seeking to reduce the upper time limit for having an abortion, currently at 24 weeks.
The studies suggest that late abortions, permitted for serious abnormalities or risks to a woman's health, do not result in foetal suffering because of increasing evidence that the chemical environment in the uterus induces "a continuous sleep-like unconsciousness or sedation".
The review of existing evidence, as well as guidance to health professionals and information for mothers, was instigated on the recommendation of the Commons health select committee two years ago. Efforts in the Commons to reduce abortion limits to 22 or 20 weeks were defeated in 2008. The reports will hamper campaigners' efforts for an early return to the topic, despite David Cameron having suggested before the election that that might happen.
The report on pain perception says: "It was apparent that connections from the periphery to the cortex are not intact before 24 weeks of gestation and, as most neuroscientists believe that the cortex is necessary for pain perception, it can be concluded that the foetus cannot experience pain in any sense prior to this gestation."
Even after 24 weeks, "it is difficult to say that the foetus experiences pain because this, like all other experiences, develops post-natally along with memory and other learned behaviours".
The second report, into conditions where a pregnancy might be terminated for foetal abnormality, says: "... it is unrealistic to produce a definitive list of conditions that constitute 'serious' handicap since accurate diagnostic techniques are as yet unavailable".
This could be seen as a setback for those who wanted greater clarity on the issue after reports of late abortions for correctable conditions such as cleft palate.
Anti-abortion campaigners said the work did not challenge other arguments for a lower limit.
Josephine Quintavalle, of Comment on Reproductive Ethics, said: "Performing abortion humanely does not justify the fact that you are terminating a human life."
The health department said: "We welcome any report that adds to our understanding of foetal development."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-pain-24-weeks
Sensia is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

So, you've got no issue with limiting legal abortions to the first trimester?
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Sensia
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Iaintliein,

You do realize that close to 90% of abortions are performed during the first trimester?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

So, you're not going to answer my question?
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Sensia
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
So, you're not going to answer my question?
I think that is up to the woman and her decision between her and her doctor period.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
TheDaliLama
Valued Poster

GP why don't we just throw gasoline on them and burn them?
TheDaliLama is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
RichardGozenya
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 1

same "scientists" responsible for the
global warming hoax?

supposition or is this first-hand info
from an aborted "scientist"?

Royal College of Ob/Gyn ---
does it have the same lack of credibility as
the AMA & CDC?

IJS
RichardGozenya is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Fastcars1966
Valued Poster

Encounters: 26

Hell I can give sedation so you feel no pain. With this logic as long as Jack Kevorkian gave a sedative prior to euthanasia he should not be guilty of 2nd degree murder after all there was no pain involved.
Fastcars1966 is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
LovingKayla
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 50897
My ECCIE Reviews

What's a foetus?

And GP, please no offense intended but what's up with all the abortion stuff? Is there something going on? You ok?

I'm still against it but I somehow feel better thinking the baby feels no pain (even though the docs say differently.) 24 weeks is a full baby. My niece was born at just under 22 weeks and weighed less than a pound. She's 3 years old now. My best friend from high school had her little boy at 23 weeks weighing in a 1.02 lbs... He's 13 years old today and pissing me off to the point I kinda wish she'd just killed him instead.

I was wondering last night when my own kiddo would NOT do his ^&%$$ homework, if 40 trimester abortions would really be that bad.
LovingKayla is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Sensia
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Kayla,

The article had the word feotus as opposed to "fetus". Just follow the link and you can see the word in the article.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Does the sperm donor get a say? He does have an investment as well.
I take it that you would support euthanizing anyone who is in a coma because they are unaware (as far as we know) and feel no pain (as far as we know).
I had an instructor who was a cardiovascular surgeon and he prefaced all of his pronouncements with "as far as we know". He could give a number of examples of where medicine made a pronouncement and then had to change their minds with new evidence.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Again, I am adamantly opposed to abortion. But it isn't my choice. The choice is left to the woman, her medical team and the people she loves and trusts.

But let's not make the ability to feel pain a criteria for determining when one is or is not alive. That is too big of a slippery slope, and could start to be applied in areas where it was not originally intended.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women