Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 250
Top Posters
DallasRain70448
biomed160817
Yssup Rider60173
gman4452966
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47657
pyramider46370
bambino40397
CryptKicker37102
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35555
Mojojo33117

Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default A Defense Budget Cut We Can All Agree On

Ok, here's the deal. We can't afford the tanks. The Army doesn't want the tanks. Why are we forcing them to take the tanks?

http://www.businessinsider.com/congr...#ixzz1vuSVxVbV
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

33 is ok .
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Guest123018-4
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

What do they want instead?

We need to be cutting everywhere.
It is way past time to bring our troops home.
Guest123018-4 is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Here's another one. It's pretty transparent that this sort of aircraft's primary mission is:
1. One we shouldn't be doing.
2. Could easily be re-tasked against us.
3. Would be given like party favors to "friends" like that POS Karzi.

http://defensetech.org/2012/05/07/us...ttack-contest/

How much of the military budget is spent on "humanitarian" missions outside the US? That should all be cut, the Navy for instance isn't supposed to be a "World Force for Good", it's a naval force for US defense, end of story.

The brass has to know in their hearts and minds that aircraft carriers' days of setting off the coast untouchable are pretty much at an end. A carrier task force is an expensive item to build and maintain when it's primary purpose is "showing the flag".

Offshore military bases are an expense with little payback. They represent targets, targets that we lack the naval logistics assets to keep re-supplied in a conflict against a modern foe like the PRC.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
Exclamation Bloated Bureaucracy

I suppose it's a case of our bloated government bureaucracy.

We have too many lobbyists sucking on the government teat.

. . . Maybe we could aim those tanks at the lobbyists and just for good measure take out the old coot while we're at it!

Fast Gunn is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Brot
Valued Poster

Encounters: 23

Since when does the military know how better to fight a war than congress.
Brot is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Fuck it. Shut them down. If we need anything we can get it from China.
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn View Post
I suppose it's a case of our bloated government bureaucracy.

We have too many lobbyists sucking on the government teat.

. . . Maybe we could aim those tanks at the lobbyists and just for good measure take out the old coot while we're at it!

+1

FastGoon, I knew you had an intelligent thought in there somewhere. It must have gotten lonely. Thanks for letting it out!

Old 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

There should be no increased spending period. If the army doesn't want the tanks, we shouldn't build them. Kind of like when the military said they didn't want to be in the law enforcement business and congress passed and Obama singed NDAA 2012 giving them Marshall law type authority.

It's the economy stupid; it's the economy.
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Munchmasterman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
There should be no increased spending period. If the army doesn't want the tanks, we shouldn't build them. Kind of like when the military said they didn't want to be in the law enforcement business and congress passed and Obama singed NDAA 2012 giving them Marshall law type authority.

It's the economy stupid; it's the economy.
In martial law, the military assumes the roll of the civilian government for a number of reasons. Hence the term "martial" meaning military as opposed to "civil" law meaning civilian.

Here is that power grab that cog is worried about. It already came and went and he didn't even notice.

The National Guard is an exception, since unless federalized, they are under the control of state governors.[14] This was changed briefly: Public Law 109-364, or the "John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007" (H.R.5122), was signed by President Bush on October 17, 2006, and allowed the President to declare a "public emergency" and station troops anywhere in America and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities. Title V, Subtitle B, Part II, Section 525(a) of the JWDAA of 2007 reads "The [military] Secretary [of the Army, Navy or Air Force] concerned may order a member of a reserve component under the Secretary's jurisdiction to active duty...The training or duty ordered to be performed...may include...support of operations or missions undertaken by the member's unit at the request of the President or Secretary of Defense."[15] The President signed the Defense Authorization Act of 2008 on January 13, 2008. However, Section 1068 in the enacted 2008 defense authorization bill (H.R. 4986: "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008") repealed this section of PL 109-364.[16]
Munchmasterman is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Wrong, Munchie. It was the NDAA of 2011, Section 1021, that gave the President the authority to indefinitely detain anyone he wants to with no judicial review. That section has since been found unconstitutional by a clear thinking federal judge, coincidentally, appointed by President Obama. Since that time, Congress has re-authorized the offending section yet again, in the NDAA of 2012. Their bi-partisan attempts at tyranny are truly disturbing.

God Bless Reps. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and Justin Amash (R-Mich.) for their attempt to thwart tyranny and stand for freedom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1525659.html
Old 05-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Wrong, Munchie. It was the NDAA of 2011, Section 1021, that gave the President the authority to indefinitely detain anyone he wants to with no judicial review. That section has since been found unconstitutional by a clear thinking federal judge, coincidentally, appointed by President Obama. Since that time, Congress has re-authorized the offending section yet again, in the NDAA of 2012. Their bi-partisan attempts at tyranny are truly disturbing.

God Bless Reps. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and Justin Amash (R-Mich.) for their attempt to thwart tyranny and stand for freedom.

Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Iaintlion - +1
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
Exclamation Intelligent Thoughts

Great!

Hold that thought and . . .

. . . Stand real still while that nice tank driver takes aim and lets something else out!

Quote:
+1

FastGoon, I knew you had an intelligent thought in there somewhere. It must have gotten lonely. Thanks for letting it out!

Fast Gunn is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:

wtf does any of that have to do with wasteful spending?
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
essence
Valued Poster

I don't believe much in the media when it comes to defence spending.

As an example, we see headlines that such and such a war is costing the US x billions per day.

My question is: where is this money going? Is it to accommodate, and arm the troops? In which case will they be dismissed and arms destroyed when the war is over? If not, then what is the incremental cost of the war, and where is it going?

My second question is: money goes around in circles, so if the defence budget is xx billion, this goes to (a) troops who buy stuff and pay taxes (b) contractors who employ people who buy stuff and pay taxes. So if the defence budget is cut, what is the collateral damage?

Now, if a significant percentage of the defence budget is spent on purchasing arms from abroad, then that is 'lost money', or is it? Surely encouraging good industry and relationships with foreign powers is to be commended? So the money is not lost, it is an investment into a political future.

So when I look into the story, the defence don;t want it, but congress has bigger concerns, they are worried about shutting down a factory, loosing jobs, and all the damage caused by it, of which the military do not give a damn (they probably do, but it is not in their remit).

It's like any big company, the troops can;t always see the bigger picture.

Now, having said all that, I am a strong believer in providing goods and services that people want, and not supporting a dead duck.

So in conclusion, I wouldn't cut the defence budget, but I would reorganise it so that new investments are made, new innovative companies encouraged, and dead wood burnt. Plus make a few ginormous contracts with UK suppliers!

p.s. I drove with my family past Fort Hood ? (just past Waco), my son saw the helicopters, and said his friend's dad was CEO of the British company which makes them (which paid for his son's school fees). Same way, when I go to Dharhan I see all the US fighters being used to train Saudi pilots (am I out of date on this one?, not sure how much military equipment Saudi buys from US, I know France and UK fights like cats and dogs over contracts, and nobody plays clean).

Now here's a thought - why doesn't that nice company making these tanks which the US army says they don;t want, export them to some foreign friendly power, like Pakistan, keep the employees happy and provide some export revenue?
essence is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women