Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70384
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452866
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47436
pyramider46370
bambino40285
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35162
Mojojo33117

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Encounters: 67
Default Vast majority of Texans Oppose the Legislature spending it's time on abortion

Rick Perry and David Dewhurst won't be fooled again. If Texans speak, they're gonna do what they wanna do.

PunY humans!

Here's the story about the poll.

POLL: Majority Of Texans Don’t Support The Abortion Restrictions Moving Through The Legislature

By Tara Culp-Ressler on Jun 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/20...avid-dewhurst/

Most Texas residents don’t support Senate Bill 5, the omnibus anti-abortion bill currently advancing in the legislature, according to a new bipartisan poll. In fact, 80 percent of Texans don’t want their lawmakers to be considering abortion-related bills during the special session that Gov. Rick Perry (R) convened at the beginning of the month.

SB 5 combines several attacks on women’s reproductive into one omnibus measure. It would impose unnecessary burdens on abortion providers, force most of the abortion clinics in the state to close their doors, and criminalize abortions after 20 weeks (although one Senate version of the legislation removed the 20-week ban). Anti-choice lawmakers hope that the special session will give them the opportunity to push through SB 5, since its separate provisions failed to advance during the regular legislative session this year.

But Texas voters don’t actually want any more restrictions on abortion in their state. After conducting a survey among a representative sample of state residents between June 17 and 19, the polling firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (GQR) found that 63 percent of registered voters think the Lone Star State already has enough anti-abortion laws on the books. Seventy one percent think the legislature should be more focused on the economy and jobs instead of social policies to police women’s reproductive rights.

Nearly three quarters of respondents said that personal medical decisions about whether to have an abortion should be made by a woman and her doctor, not by politicians. Fifty seven percent said they don’t trust the Governor or the legislature to make choices about women’s health care. And that opposition cuts across party lines: The support for women to make their own reproductive decisions remains strong among both Independents (76 percent) and Republicans (61 percent).

That opposition to the current legislative agenda is reflective in the massive numbers of protesters who have spoken out against SB 5 over the past week. On Thursday and Sunday, as the House considered SB 5, hundreds of women’s health advocates turned out to protest the abortion restrictions. Although those actions successfully delayed a vote on the bill, the House did eventually approve SB 5 on Monday morning. Senate Democrats have pledged to filibuster the legislation when it comes up for final passage in their chamber on Tuesday night — and, since the special session ends at midnight on Tuesday, they’re hoping to block it long enough to officially kill it for this year.

Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
EXTXOILMAN
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31

What a joke, Assup. A left wing advocacy group's "poll" mentioned on a left wing hack website. Now that's some real bi-partisan reporting right there. Pathetic.
EXTXOILMAN is offline   Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Refute it with some facts, Yappy!

prove otherwise, WK!

otherwise, STFU, beer belly!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
EXTXOILMAN
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yssup Rider View Post

prove otherwise, WK!

otherwise, STFU, beer belly!
Not my responsibility to refute it; it's your responsibility to prove it. You're the DSOY who put it up. Why don't you post the actual poll?? Maybe include the method used, questions asked, how many respondents?? Here's a link to the "pollster" website, http://gqrr.com/index.php.

Do your own backup, Assup.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Not really, asshole. It's a scientific poll. You don't like it and won't even try and prove your point.

Seems suspect to me. But WTF, Im not a MENSA member like you claim to be, Yappy!

LMAO!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
EXTXOILMAN
Valued Poster

Quote:
Not really, asshole. It's a scientific poll. You don't like it and won't even try and prove your point.

Seems suspect to me. But WTF, Im not a MENSA member like you claim to be, Yappy!

LMAO!

Typical. Deflect, distract, etc. YOU made the point Assup, not me. Therefore I have nothing to prove...YOU do. If it's scientific, and you believe it, post it for discussion. Easy enough.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Idiot.

I guess you're back off the rig now... Can't bitch about Obama when he raised the minimum wage!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Looks like they're gonna ram something else down the throats of an unwilling public.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Seeker
Valued Poster

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/

Majority of Texans DIS-approve of SB 5.
Seeker is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
LexusLover
Valued Poster

Quote:
Refute their poll ... I wouldn't. I agree that it is unfortunate that ...

Texans must spend precious money on conducting a special session that was inappropriately disrupted by a band of hoodlums when the votes were there to pas the law by a substantial margin.

Whatever the law may be.
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #11
LexusLover
Valued Poster

Quote:
It's a scientific poll.
What is a "scientific poll"?
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusLover View Post
Refute their poll ... I wouldn't. I agree that it is unfortunate that ...

Texans must spend precious money on conducting a special session that was inappropriately disrupted by a band of hoodlums when the votes were there to pas the law by a substantial margin.

Whatever the law may be.
According to the author of the following CNN article, the "band of hoodlums" was not in gallery, it was the Republican dominated Texas Legislature.

(CNN) -- State Sen. Wendy Davis' stand in Texas was the "filibuster heard round the world" -- suddenly everywhere you look, you see news about one state or another rolling back reproductive rights.

Even as all eyes were on resumed hearings in Texas late Tuesday night, the North Carolina legislature was busy sneaking anti-choice measures into an unrelated bill, and Wednesday that bill passed the state Senate over the fierce objections of North Carolina women.

But the more I read about what is happening to women's rights, the less I see about how anti-choice lawmakers are passing these bills.

We're taught as kids that cheaters never win, but that lesson didn't sink in with Republican leaders in Texas and in many other states where these rights are under attack. Instead they've decided that if you don't have the people with you to pass a bill, you can just change the process.

Take the Texas bill: a hodgepodge of arbitrary restrictions, it would close nearly 90% of the clinics that perform abortions in Texas, making it impossible for women across the state to access all sorts of medical care they need and deserve. It would also ban all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, which compromises the moral and medical autonomy of women who need care.

Following on 12 other states that have enacted the unconstitutional ban, Texas Republicans are trying to put in place costly restrictions to solve a problem that doesn't exist: The number of abortions after 20 weeks is tiny (less than 2%) and are most often sought by women in desperate circumstances, exactly the kind of cases that require close attention by doctors, not sweeping prohibitions by ideological politicians.

The Republicans couldn't pass this bill in regular session -- Texas law requires a two-thirds Senate majority for these measures, and the GOP simply didn't have it. So instead of building support the old-fashioned way for this radical legislation, Gov. Perry decided he'd just change the rules. He called a special session after the end of the normal legislative period, and his friend, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, declared they no longer needed a super majority vote.

What they didn't count on was opposition from citizens who knew the rules and wouldn't stand by while Republicans cheated. In the House, GOP committee members shut down legally mandated public hearings when witness after witness testified that they resented this intrusion into private, personal medical decisions; then committee members voted on the bill in a private room where the public couldn't see what they were doing.

And finally, in the move that earned them national disdain, they tried to use every dirty trick in the book to shut down Davis' historic talking filibuster in the final hours of this widely watched session.

They challenged the content of her speech. They cried crocodile tears about her receiving assistance to don a back brace. They ignored Democrats who were raising legitimate procedural questions. Republicans presiding over the debate recognized their fellow Republicans when Democrats had the floor.

One senator, Leticia Van de Putte, even had to ask: "At what point must a female senator raise her voice or hand to be recognized over the male colleagues in the room?"

And then, after Texans watching in the gallery erupted in jeers at the strong-handed tactics Republicans were using, the GOP leadership held a vote after midnight, after the special session had officially ended. They then changed the time stamp on the official record of the vote, only changing it back after they were caught red-handed. That meant the bill was dead, so Gov. Rick Perry did what cheaters do when they lose -- he called for a do-over.

I wish I could say the tactics in Texas were the exception, but Republicans are using underhanded ploys like these to pass anti-choice bills all over the country.

In Ohio, Republicans sneaked a requirement for unnecessary ultrasounds into a budget bill, without holding public hearings. In North Carolina, they shut out testimony from pro-choice activists late in the night to move their draconian measures to the floor for a vote.

On Monday, I stood in the hot Austin sun with thousands of fellow Texans who share my outrage at this attack on our fundamental rights. But they didn't just cheer for Davis' stand to protect women's rights and health. They were there to celebrate the rule of democracy, rules that Republicans have shown they will change if it suits their political ends.

But changing the rules doesn't change the truth. I don't know what will happen at this next special session in Texas, but I do know that if Republicans cheat their way to victory in this battle, they are going to lose the war for the confidence of the people they seek to represent.
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusLover View Post
What is a "scientific poll"?
Has to do with methodology. Polling business term. Look it up.

speaking of that, of Mensa hasn't had much to say since he got his dumb ass handed to him...
Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

A CNN Op Ed follows:

Editor's note: Ruben Navarrette is a CNN contributor and a nationally syndicated columnist with the Washington Post Writers Group. Follow him on Twitter: @rubennavarrette.

(CNN) -- Once again, the eyes of the nation are upon Texas.

When it comes to political news and the occasional shenanigan, our second most populous state always seems to come in first.

The latest dust-up in the Lone Star State is about women's reproductive rights. The Democratic minority last week stopped a bill being pushed by the Republican majority that would have shut down most of the state's abortion clinics and banned abortion in the state after 20 weeks.

But the ruckus is also about saying the wrong thing in the wrong way, and coming off like a jerk in the process. It's about etiquette and character, and how intensely unlikable a politician can become when he is running low on both.

Likability counts for a lot in politics. Voters often make choices about which candidate to support based on whether we can relate to them or feel comfortable around them.

Meanwhile, a lot of Americans feel uncomfortable about late-term abortion. It's a barbaric procedure that opponents consider infanticide. It's also where many people like me, who are pro-choice, draw the line.

The Democrats' victory in the legislature is credited to Sen. Wendy Davis, who staged an 11-hour filibuster to push the debate past the stroke of midnight and the end of a special session.

Showdown over abortion in Texas Davis: Perry has demeaned his office
The victory was short-lived. Gov. Rick Perry called a second special session to allow Republican legislators more time to get the legislation passed and onto his desk, where he is eager to sign it.

This high-stakes game of Texas Hold 'em could well be a preview of the 2014 matchup for the state's top job.

At one end of the table sits Davis. A rising star in the Democratic Party who represents Fort Worth, she has long been thought to be interested in running for governor. Now, thanks to Republican attempts to shut her down, she has an issue. The campaign ad writes itself: "Davis bravely stood up to the Republican majority, and backed them down."

At the other end, you'll find Perry. I wrote for the Dallas Morning News for five years. And I know this much: The governor has always been a paradox. One on one, he's very effective. He's charming and personable, and easy to relate to.

But when he steps into his public persona, as in debates or at press conferences, he becomes less likable. Out goes the class president, and in comes the schoolyard bully.

It was the latter that showed up when Perry addressed the National Right to Life conference in Grapevine, Texas, near Dallas, a few days after Davis' filibuster. Obviously still smarting from the setback, Perry fired off these condescending remarks:

"Who are we to say that children born in the worst of circumstances can't grow to live successful lives? In fact, even the woman who filibustered the Senate the other day was born into difficult circumstances. She was the daughter of a single woman. She was a teenage mother herself. She managed to eventually graduate from Harvard Law School and serve in the Texas Senate. It is just unfortunate that she hasn't learned from her own example that every life must be given a chance to realize its full potential and that every life matters."

Katy, bar the door. Perry's comments were rude, presumptuous and highly inappropriate. There are plenty of ways to disagree with a political opponent and make a point without getting personal and dredging up details of her personal life -- and in this case, her mother's personal life.

Perry as much as suggested that Davis should be more sympathetic to unborn babies because, given her life's circumstance, her mother might have had an abortion and Davis wouldn't be here.

During an appearance on CBS's "Face the Nation," Davis was asked to respond. Here's what she said:

"Well, what went through my mind was that that was a terribly personal thing to say. And, of course, I've been in the political arena for some time. It takes a lot to offend me. But what I was offended about was the statement that it makes on behalf of women throughout the state of Texas. I think it showed disregard for the fact that we all, we each, own our own personal history. We make choices and -- and have the opportunity to take chances that present themselves to us. What this is about is making sure that women across the state of Texas have the same opportunity to make those choices and have the same chances that I had."

Davis got it right. In the abortion debate, women have long insisted that they have the right to control their bodies. Now do they have to take the next step and assert control over their life stories?

It looks like, in Texas, the answer is yes. Women do need to reassert control over their life stories. Otherwise, others -- including elected officials -- will try to take over those narratives to serve their own purposes. That's what Perry did to Davis, and it reflected badly on him. He won't apologize. But he should.
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Baby feet in a pickle jar. Sick Fucks...
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women