Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > New York > Upstate New York > Coed Discussions - Upstate New York
Coed Discussions - Upstate New York Both male and female members can mingle and interact here. Let's keep these discussions on-topic, thought-provoking, and more importantly...entertaining!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 267
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70443
biomed160781
Yssup Rider60136
gman4452954
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47648
pyramider46370
bambino40371
CryptKicker37100
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35501
Mojojo33117

Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
gaijin1969
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15
Default Google Voice Questions

Anyone else using Google Voice have issues with caller ID?
For instance, you get to choose a Google Voice phone number, right?
Is that the number that shows up in caller ID on the recievers end?
(I swear when dialing a number, my phone shows it being routed thru another number I don't recognize.) I get the feeling this could really confuse whoever you are calling....

Also, for some reason I never see a call come in.... but will notice I have a missed call and get a message if they left one. But so far, I haven't actually gotten a call to my Google Voice account and answered it LOL every time, I am returning a call because I've missed it.

However, texting seems good and quick, and when I have used it, call quality hasn't been an issue (meaning I haven't noticed a difference in call quality.)

Anyone else notice anything odd using Google Voice or can offer tips?
Thanks!
gaijin1969 is offline   Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
EnglishGent
Premium Access

Encounters: 22

I use it sometimes. The caller ID shows my chosen Google Voice number. Also I always hear the phone ring if someone calls back.

I find the texting slow sometimes.

Sorry I know thats not much help, but its my experience with it.
EnglishGent is offline   Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
gaijin1969
Valued Poster

No good info thanks.... may just be me having the phone on vibrate at work. Will have to try calling a buddy and look at his phone and see what number shows, and having him call me. Or gee, just ask the gal how it looks LOL just wondered if any of my recent communication problems have been GV related... perhaps not. I do think it's a pretty awesome idea for a free program / download.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
TheITGuy585
Registered Member

Encounters: 13

When using Google voice for placing a call, you will see a different number than your Google voice number. The person on the other end will only see your Google voice number. If you are using your cell phone, that out of state number is what will show up on your bill which is good is you have a SO who might check the call history on the bill. As far as miss calls, check to see if you have do not disturb selected. If you do then your phone won't ring. It will just show a missed call. Hope this helps.
TheITGuy585 is online now   Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Maximum4
Valued Poster

Encounters: 120

I use it extensively with no issues. You can choose in the settings on the iPhone version whether you want your number showing or not. I have it set to show the Google Voice number. Texting has been just fine. I wish they allowed pics and vid to go through, but oh well...it's a deal.

If you want to get a new number, you can pay $10 to change it. I've done this twice so far to get rid of providers that text me too much.

I know other hobbyists that use other iPhone phone apps that give them a total of 4 numbers on their iPhone. Having extra numbers is handy so you can call the same provider to verify info or ask a different question.

My .02.
Maximum4 is offline   Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
gaijin1969
Valued Poster

IT and Max.... great feedback thanks! Answered all my questions and concerns. :-)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
youngatheart
Valued Poster

Encounters: 59

OK, I'll show my ignorance....I can't figure out how to text using google voice.....
youngatheart is offline   Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
lokera14
Account Disabled

Encounters: 19

Dial the number and choose the text option and start texting. You have to use the area code of the number you are texting
lokera14 is offline   Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Guest070916
Account Disabled

Encounters: 63

What?
Texting won't work calling to a different area code or Canada with GV?
Guest070916 is offline   Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
gaijin1969
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celso View Post
What?
Texting won't work calling to a different area code or Canada with GV?
Actually, I don't think that's what they meant - only that you have to provide the area code when you text the number.... even if you're in the same area code. (I believe.... not that I've tried a Canadian number yet.) Now with a 716 GV number, I've had no problems texting a 585 number as long as I include the area code.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
SweetElizabeth
Experienced safe

User ID: 13385
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I totally do not recommend Google voice for the hobby, although many people swear by it. I personally believe Google is the best search engine available (barring that it now lists 2-4 premium ads before the search results....) I suppose come right down to it, I don't fully trust them with all my data..
I suppose that may make me feel like a hobbyist giving info to a woman who has known issues of misusing info.

I simply don't support Google voice; too much big brother capabilities IMHO.
SweetElizabeth is offline   Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Sensei
Valued Poster

Encounters: 5
Default GV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetElizabeth View Post
I totally do not recommend Google voice for the hobby, although many people swear by it. I personally believe Google is the best search engine available (barring that it now lists 2-4 premium ads before the search results....) I suppose come right down to it, I don't fully trust them with all my data..
I suppose that may make me feel like a hobbyist giving info to a woman who has known issues of misusing info.

I simply don't support Google voice; too much big brother capabilities IMHO.
Yes, but if you don't use any RL info for GV and use a hobby email to join its no different than what they get by crawling the web.
Sensei is offline   Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
SweetElizabeth
Experienced safe

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Big brother scares the hell out of me. Take for example how facebook and smartphones link people.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
SweetElizabeth
Experienced safe

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Just a personal note, if I was a man, I would opt for the disposable phone over G Voice.

Xx
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
gaijin1969
Valued Poster

Disposable or prepaid phones are good. Had a trac phone a couple years ago and it served me well. And it was fun to crush it and dispose of it when I couldn't keep it anymore. Now I already carry two phones... one for work and my personal and simply don't have a way to safely hide a hobby phone. Hell I have a hard enough time hiding cash to support my hobby! I agree that GV using hobby info for account set up seems to work great. All it has is my personal cell number to route calls to and that's pretty much available "out there" anyway. If needed I can just delete fake account info. Sure I guess a court order or investigation of some sort could tie together all the loose ends but it would take some effort. I'd get busted quicker having to explain another cell phone. At least if my money stash is found I can claim I was saving up to buy my SO a surprise! ;-)

At any rate. I think GV is much safer than simply using my personal cell and deleting the call log lol

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women