Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47409
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37052
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
grean
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19
Default When You Are Not Under Arrest But You Are Not Free To Go

In what instances can you be detained by the police where you are not under arrest but they say you are NOT free to go, either?

Is this actually possible or just a movie/tv thing?

If it is possible, in which cases can they legally detain you but not arrest you for any period of time?

When are they not allowed to detain you?

How long can they detain you?

At what point are your civil rights violated if they do detain you without arresting you?
grean is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
1980saguy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12

Yes, it is possible. For example, you've been pulled over by an officer for any traffic violation. You are detained, but not free to leave. Once they run your info and issue the ticket you are free to leave. Not allowing you to leave would be a violation of your fourth amendment rights.

Officers cannot detain you if they don't have reasonable suspicion to stop (Terry, traffic, etc.) or unless they have probable cause to arrest.

How long they can detain is a very fact specific question.
1980saguy is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
dannyboy13
Valued Poster

Encounters: 52

In Texas, and probably all states, the police can detain you for a "reasonable length of time" if they have a "reasonable suspicion" that a crime has been committed or is about to be committed. Different circumstances allow different lengths of time to be considered reasonable. For example, if the police see you standing next to a car in the ditch, with smoke coming from the engine, and no other person in sight, they would be allowed to keep you at the scene and ask you questions while they tried to determine if you had been driving while intoxicated. You can even be handcuffed (for officer safety!) while they conduct a brief investigation.
If, however, they simply stop you on the street (or walking into or out of a hotel), they would not be allowed to keep you from leaving once you have answered a few basic questions.
Keep in mind, you can always be arrested whenever a police officer decides that you need to be detained. That doesn't mean you will be convicted of anything. The old saying that you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride is absolutely true.
dannyboy13 is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
imamonger
Valued Poster

Encounters: 26

And if you are arrested you must typically be charged within 72 hours or cut loose.
imamonger is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #5
grean
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy13 View Post
If, however, they simply stop you on the street (or walking into or out of a hotel), they would not be allowed to keep you from leaving once you have answered a few basic questions.

So when I ask," am I free to go?"

they say, "no" and then start to ask questions.

I of course tell them I am remaining silent.

What then?

Do I reply to each question with, "am I free to go?"

Edit: to be clear, I state I am remaining silent in response to thier first"basic" question.
grean is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
Treetop78759
Valued Poster

Encounters: 17

We don't have any problems with the municipal and county police in Williamson County because most of us folks carry hot and fresh Round Rock Donuts.
Treetop78759 is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #7
gt27
Valued Poster

You could just tell them that you will remain silent until you no longer are detained. At that point, you spare yourself of the award reply to their nagging questions.
gt27 is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
grean
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt27 View Post
You could just tell them that you will remain silent until you no longer are detained. At that point, you spare yourself of the award reply to their nagging questions.
Ok. Sure. This gives me a couple of more questions.

1. Is it correct, that once you have been arrested and express you are remaining silent and request an attorney, they must stop questioning you until your lawyer is present?

2. If that's not true, and you must simply remain silent through out their qustions, I don't have a second question.

However, if it is true that they must stop asking questions, do I have a right to an attorney for their questions while I am just being detained? Is it okay to break silence to request an attorney for any questions they have once I say, "I am remaining silent"?
grean is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
dannyboy13
Valued Poster

To answer question 1, yes, it is true that the police cannot continue to question you once you invoke your right to counsel.
To answer question 2, if you are only being detained, and are not being questioned regarding a potential criminal offense, you have no need for an attorney. You can still ask for one, and once you do, most police will just let it alone. Technically, you only have the right to an attorney if you are undergoing a 'custodial interrogation'. That means you are in custody. That means the police think you committed a particular crime (usually). If you are on the street, stopped by the police, and they ask general questions (who are you, what are you doing here, did you know that this hotel is used for prostitution) you are not undergoing a custodial interrogation. You have the right, once you identify yourself, to refuse to answer other questions, and to leave. " Gee, officer, I'm in kind of a hurry. I have to go now" is usually all you need to say to be left alone and allowed to leave. Unless the officer has a 'reasonable suspicion' that you are engaging in criminal activity, you have the right to leave.
I wish there was a clear and concise answer, but criminal law is pretty confusing to normal people. And some lawyers.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
grean
Valued Poster

Whoa......

I thought, assuming I am not in my car, unless I am under arrest, there is no requirement for me to identify myself. I cannot lie and say my name is SJ, but I do not have to identify myself.

Did I missunderstand something?
grean is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
dannyboy13
Valued Poster

The police have a right to ask your identity. We even have a law called 'Failure to Identify'. If memory serves, it's just a Class C misdemeanor (for sure just a misdemeanor). We let the police engage the public in conversation, and they are allowed to ask you to identify yourself. Supposedly for officer safety, but whatever.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #12
ck1942
Meet & Greet Organizer

Encounters: 181

And if you are in the vehicle's driver seat, LEO can also request your DL, your insurance and probably the car's registration.

imo, if you are stopped ANYWHERE by a LEO, being polite, reasonable and respectful will go a long way to ending the encounter in your favor.
ck1942 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
Joe Buck
Valued Poster

Encounters: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by grean View Post
So when I ask," am I free to go?"

they say, "no" and then start to ask questions.

I of course tell them I am remaining silent.

What then?

Do I reply to each question with, "am I free to go?"

Edit: to be clear, I state I am remaining silent in response to thier first"basic" question.
Under arrest or not you are entitled to have a lawyer present during any questioning. If you ask if you are free to go and they say no your next response should be I would like to make a phone call and have my attorney present before answering any questions. Once you ask for an attorney they can no longer question you unless he is present.
Joe Buck is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
grean
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy13 View Post
The police have a right to ask your identity. We even have a law called 'Failure to Identify'. If memory serves, it's just a Class C misdemeanor (for sure just a misdemeanor). We let the police engage the public in conversation, and they are allowed to ask you to identify yourself. Supposedly for officer safety, but whatever.
So this varies by state.

One last question - If one is arrested, detained, or just pulled over while driving, do one have the right to know why you were arrested, detained or pulled over? When must they tell you and is there certain verbage you must use to make them tell you other than asking, " why am I being pulled over, detained, and or arrested? "

Can they refuse to inform you, and if so, under what circumstances?
grean is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
bigrich75
Premium Access

Encounters: 63

What if immigration stops you to inspect your vehicle on one of the international bridges? Like in a secondary on the bridge?
bigrich75 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women