Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 245
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47407
pyramider46370
bambino40252
CryptKicker37054
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 04-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Kay of Houston
YOUR BEST KEPT SECRET!

User ID: 5809
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Power of Atty

So how do I go about getting a Power of Attorney to my son in his his name?
Kay of Houston is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Fizley
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

A power of attorney is a legal document giving the authority for another person to act upon legal or financial matters.

Usually a power of attorney is given for someone who cannot take care of their financial or legal affairs due to a cognitive issue (age related disease or accident).

You need an attorney specializing in elder law on trusts and probate.
Fizley is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Kay of Houston
YOUR BEST KEPT SECRET!

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Thank you for the input. My son suggested it cuz hes the main one on my insurance policy.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #4
Fizley
Valued Poster

Just curious why does your son want a POA? A POA would give him full access to your bank accounts or any other asset.

If your son wants you to develop an estate plan (a trust or will)that includes a health care directive and a POA when declared medical incompetent to handle your financial affairs---Absolutly, very smart of him to ask.

As long as your healthy with no known health issues I would NOT give your son a POA.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
Chung Tran
BANNED

Encounters: 288

there are different kinds of POA.. durable, general.. most of them are SOLELY for Health issues, like admitting to a Hospital, or making life-death decisions (like you are on life support). I wouldn't freak out over his desire for a POA.. more people should have them than do.
Chung Tran is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
DallasRain
HELL's bell ringer!!

User ID: 3067
Location: Based in Missouri AND coming to play in your town soon!!!
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

True
My sisters have medical power of attorney for my mom... meaning they can makes medical related decisions for her well being
DallasRain is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Fizley
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chung Tran View Post
there are different kinds of POA.. durable, general.. most of them are SOLELY for Health issues, like admitting to a Hospital, or making life-death decisions (like you are on life support). I wouldn't freak out over his desire for a POA.. more people should have them than do.
Chung in my world financial abuse is a real thing. My immediate thoughts were elder fraud. I know nothing of Miss Kay, but admit my spiney sense regarding financial abuse was up.

If he is looking for a will or a trust with a health care directive. I am in your court.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Kay,

As others above have alluded to, you need to determine what type of POA.
For financial matters, my question is why?
For medical, note that most states, per state law, recognize next of kin for medical decisions without a poa.

For your son being the beneficiary on your insurance, a POA is not needed. He's the beneficiary. All he has to do is send in a death certificate and the proof of who he is.

So we're back to why? Fizley is correct. Best to spend a few hundred with a probate/estate lawyer to get exactly what you desire. As an example, I have three, for different purposes.

And by the way, do not use any printed off the web or out of a book (think god no ones suggested that). Laws are different state to state and those usually end up not being filled in correctly, and later being rejected by a hospital, bank, etc.

As a side comment, for bank/investment accounts, vehicle titles, etc, you can set them up with a "TOD" or "POD" (transfer/pay on death) designators. And whoever you have listed just needs to show up with a death certificate and proof of ID. For real estate, a Beneficiary deed to yourself with whomever as Beneficiary.

Again, laws are somewhat different between states. Again, see a probate/estate lawyer. And, have a will done as well for a bit more.

In closing, and as contrast, for the guys, why see a flaky STG wannabe, when a trusted professional is also a phone call away.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Kay of Houston
YOUR BEST KEPT SECRET!

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Thank you for the info.

I think he got concerned after my last stint in ICU recently. Also, his wife is in the medical field and I believe she may have brought it up to him.

If I was ever on life support, he knows what my wishes would be. He doesn't care about my money, so no worries there. If something were to happen to me, I would want him to have anything I have.

Thanks for all the advice.

Kay of Houston
Old 04-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Then, a durable power of attorney for health care decisions is the topic.

Although not actually needed if there's only one next of kin who calls the shots, a med poa could easily be needed if there's 2 or more equivalent next of kin that have different ideas about what care someone may need. Most states do have a ranking system for who counts as closest next of kin. Spouse is always 1st. But if 2 or more kids and no spouse, well...

And, these are absolutely needed if you want non-kin to make decisions. Also, you can list primary, second, third, etc. But always list at least two, primary and secondary.

Your mention of his wife being pro medical makes sense as a source. Hospitals are frequently caught in the middle of a who gets to decide argument, which means they can't do anything until the 2 or more agree, and, his wife has prob heard stories which can get quite nasty. Been there, seen that 1st hand.

So thank his wife for her mention.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
JRLawrence
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizley View Post
Just curious why does your son want a POA? A POA would give him full access to your bank accounts or any other asset.

If your son wants you to develop an estate plan (a trust or will)that includes a health care directive and a POA when declared medical incompetent to handle your financial affairs---Absolutly, very smart of him to ask.

As long as your healthy with no known health issues I would NOT give your son a POA.
A POA would give him full access to your bank accounts or any other asset.

Well now, hold on. A power of attorney can be many things, it does not always entitle another to have full control. A power of attorney can be limited in many ways, sometimes to a specific thing, procedure, or duty.

A POA may be for a specific item. Such as, the Limited Power of Attorney (LPOA) to act on behalf of someone for a specific court case, collection or real estate matter.

Example: someone else is managing the affairs of an elderly person, but there is an outstanding debt that needs to be collected. The power of attorney is granted to another person to do whatever is necessary to collect the debt, including hiring another attorney to assist in bringing court actions for collections. The judge approves the person with the LPOA to appear in court to collect the debt (represented by an attorney just for that one specific case).

The LPOA does not affect the rest of the assets of the elderly person. It is a tool to resolve just one item at a time. A limited POA can be very useful while at the same time not allowing someone full access to all of the financial matters of an individual.

Example: I know process equipment and methods. As such, I have had a corporation give me a LPOA to purchase, deliver, install, and put into production certain equipment. This has been given a budget amount for money estimated to complete the project.
  • What do you estimate the entire project will cost, including an overrun cost
  • Go do it.
  • Don't bother us with a lot of design and plans, just make it happen.
  • Here us a Power of attorney to act for us.
JRLawrence is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
JRLawrence
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizley View Post
Just curious why does your son want a POA? ....

The time to get the POA is now, not in the future. A POA of this type is usually worded that the authority to act is only under the condition that a health issue develops.
JRLawrence is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
Financeman22
Premium Access

Encounters: 37

I used a POA while my son was doing time with the state, it has to be clear and direct In lwhat can be done & not done. Even then some places won’t accept a POA, such as the
VA. It is best to have an attorney draw it up.
Financeman22 is online now   Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #14
lbbguy
Premium Access

Encounters: 73

LegalShield (cost about $30 per month) will write a state specific will power of attorney etc etc
lbbguy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women