Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Security Matters
Security Matters Personal security is of the utmost priority. Discussions regarding every aspect of personal security within the hobby can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70390
biomed160338
Yssup Rider59857
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47441
pyramider46370
bambino40288
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35189
Mojojo33117

Old 03-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

Thanks to everyone who has been replying and offering advice.

TD
The Drummer is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Guest070916
Account Disabled

Encounters: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drummer View Post
So when Windows XP becomes unsupported, how bad will it be?
Depends on where you surf.
Have a friend using a 10 year old relic PC with XP who hates change, who is already getting 'warnings' that XP is infected and is now insecure and needs to be fixed. She only surfs vanilla sites and avoids risky sites but still supposedly got 'zapped'. Kept her AV updated and Malwarebytes found nothing after running a scan. So this may just be the beginning of a bunch of scams being sent to those who refuse to upgrade out of XP. A third of the world still uses XP and they will become an awful big target now that MS stopped all support of XP.

A 10 yr old PC is a relic. A new PC tower can be had for around $400 that will runs circles around your relic. Or you can get a new laptop for less than $300 which will also run circles around your old relic but won't be quite as powerful or durable as a new $400 tower.
Guest070916 is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #18
Mr. GPop
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

the choices I give people with old machines (5+ years) is either buy a new machine or switch to Linux if all they do is browse and web mail
Mr. GPop is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #19
oldbutstillgoing
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

ATMs used a different form of xp called embedded xp. There is no hard drive to infect. It's all on a chip. As such, they are not affected the same way as computers would be.

As long as you are using a current AV program and installed all the updates for XP your real risk.has not really increased. I would still recommend updating to a new computer soon but your risk.is not really more than it was in march. Do not try updating a 6 year or older computer to windows 8. Odds are you will not be able too or will not like the results.
oldbutstillgoing is offline   Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'm now wondering this: Weeks ago, Windows sent a message to XP users stating end of support -- no updates. Should I search Windows Updates, see what's available and attempt to download to see what sticks? There may be some updates available to support Office, IE, etc.

And before you guys call me cheap bastard, very soon I'm gonna buy a new tower and just use my existing monitor, speakers, etc. Towers are going for a song 'cause the majority of consumers want laptops and I already have one. For my home, I like the towers with seperate keyboard and stuff. For me, much easier to do my work.

TD
Old 04-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
want2c
Valued Poster

Encounters: 33

Stay away from 8, get any version of windows 7, It's one of the better platforms Microsoft has put out, As for the ATM's using XP. It's an CE op with a XP overlay. The CE allows to write code specific to your needs. It would take a exploit that would not be available to your typical XP ran machines.
want2c is offline   Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Yeah. I don't think my "relic" would handle 8 anyway. I'd definately go 7.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
oldbutstillgoing
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

After mid October, OEMs will no longer be able to sell Windows 7 Home Premium on new computers. No end of Windows 7 Pro posted at MS yet. Once any existing stock of Window 7s Home Premium OEM is gone, you wont be able to buy it any more as separate software.

If your going to get a Windows 7 based system, get it quick.
oldbutstillgoing is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #24
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButStillGoing View Post
After mid October, OEMs will no longer be able to sell Windows 7 Home Premium on new computers. No end of Windows 7 Pro posted at MS yet. Once any existing stock of Window 7s Home Premium OEM is gone, you wont be able to buy it any more as separate software.

If your going to get a Windows 7 based system, get it quick.
Thank you, OBSG.

TD

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women